Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connector needed for level 3 at EVgo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to be able to charge at an EVgo Fast Charge. My Tesla connector (SAE J1772 ) will not fit any cable at the EVgo. I would like to fast charge Level 3. However my SAE J1772 would not fit any of the cables unless the notch was open at the top of the connector. Can't ever connect at level 2.

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and ucmndd
Which charge station are you trying specifically? You sure it has a J1772 and not just Level 3 charging? The J1772 cord on the charge station should plug into the adapter included with the car.

As stated above, the CHAdeMO and CCS will not.

You happen to have a photo of the charge station cord?

Reactions: DriveMe
Not all EVgo stations offer Level 2 (AC) charging. Some only offer Fast Level 3 (DC) charging.
However, some EVGo stations are now equipped with Tesla connectors or CHAdeMO to Tesla adapters.

From Fast Charge your Tesla 3/S/X - EVgo:

We offer Tesla drivers several ways to fast charge with EVgo:
  1. Visit our EVgo stations equipped with an integrated Tesla connector (currently available in San Francisco – more locations coming in 2020!)
  2. Visit our EVgo stations equipped with a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (currently available in Los Angeles)
  3. Purchase an adapter at the Tesla store and charge at any EVgo fast charger
Please note that the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter is not compatible with fast charging, but can be used at EVgo Level 2 chargers.

I need to be able to charge at an EVgo Fast Charge. My Tesla connector (SAE J1772 ) will not fit any cable at the EVgo. I would like to fast charge Level 3. However my SAE J1772 would not fit any of the cables unless the notch was open at the top of the connector. Can't ever connect at level 2.

For L3 charging at EVgo, they normally provide two options CHAdeMO and CCS. The CCS is not compatible with the Tesla in USA. The CHAdeMO is, but with the CHAdeMO, which isn't that cheap.

This is one of the craps of electric vehicles.

Many of the EVGo station have J-1772 connections separate from the L3. These will work with the Tesla adapter that comes with the car.

While the CCS cable may look a lot like it will work with the J-1772 adapter, it won't. J-1772 isn't rated for that amount of current, which is why the pins that don't look like they will fit in the J-1772 adapter are much bigger.

I didn't take a picture but the plug-in is the same as the Tesla purchased J1772 except the EVgo cable has two terminals direct below the J1772 plug in and the notch top on the adapter does not alow insertion.

That's CCS, Level 3 (DC). Not compatible with Level 2 (AC) charging. It will not work with the Tesla J1772 adapter.

Level2-3.png

EVgo EV Charging Resources| What is Electric Vehicle Charging

Not all EVgo stations offer Level 2 (AC) charging. Some only offer Fast Level 3 (DC) charging.
However, some EVGo stations are now equipped with Tesla connectors or CHAdeMO to Tesla adapters.

From Fast Charge your Tesla 3/S/X - EVgo:

We offer Tesla drivers several ways to fast charge with EVgo:
  1. Visit our EVgo stations equipped with an integrated Tesla connector (currently available in San Francisco – more locations coming in 2020!)
  2. Visit our EVgo stations equipped with a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (currently available in Los Angeles)
  3. Purchase an adapter at the Tesla store and charge at any EVgo fast charger
Please note that the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter is not compatible with fast charging, but can be used at EVgo Level 2 chargers.
Good explanation for the OP. And useful to many others. Congrats.

I didn't take a picture but the plug-in is the same as the Tesla purchased J1772 except the EVgo cable has two terminals direct below the J1772 plug in and the notch top on the adapter does not alow insertion.
That is not a J1772 and currently does not work for Teslas - that connector is a FastDC CCS connector where the top pins are the same as J1772 and the bottom has two additional pins for the FastDC. I had a Chevy Bolt that used CCS for DC fast charge and I used it at many EVGo stations. On the bolt for J1772 you had a standard plug and then for CCS you opened a little door below the J1772 female connector that exposed the two extra pins and then the CCS connector fits in

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
The J1772 for Lever 2 will not fit either. I can't charge at all at a EVgo with the Tesla adapter.

That’s correct, and expected.

As others have mentioned, your only option for Level 3 charging at any EVgo station is to use the Tesla chademo adapter ($500), which will net you a 50kw charge rate.

Some EVgo stations in California have started to strap a version of this adapter onto their charging stations so you don’t need to bring your own - but they’re few and far between still.

I wish people stopped talking about level 3 charging. There is no such thing. There is L1 and L2 AC charging, and there is L1 and L2 DC charging (which all refer to different power levels). For questions like the OP's it's better to refer to AC charging, DC fast charging and the plug standards (J1772 for AC charging, and Chademo or CCS for DC charging).

See Wikipedia for a quick overview. If you want to learn about all the details, watch this:

I wish people stopped talking about level 3 charging. There is no such thing.

See Wikipedia for a quick overview.

Or, you know, see Wikipedia for a quick overview on what Level 3 charging is, despite it apparently not existing.

Charging station - Wikipedia

The U.S.-based SAE International defines Level 1 (household 120V AC) as the slowest, Level 2 (upgraded household 240 VAC) in the middle and Level 3 (super charging, 480V DC or higher) as the fastest.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Or, you know, see Wikipedia for a quick overview on what Level 3 charging is, despite it apparently not existing.

OK, i read that, and to my surprise Eno Deb is correct? Level 3 as an idea exists for AC charging but was never developed and DC fast charging is not level 3 charging in an official standards sense, it’s just what people have called it colloquially...

This article is wrong.

Originally the SAE proposal was to have 3 levels each for AC and DC charging. L3 AC charging was never implemented. Same for L1 DC charging (which was a lower power level meant to be used through the smaller AC pins of the J1772 plug, but was never used). L3 DC charging may show up sometime in the future.

What exists today is L1 and L2 AC charging, and L2 DC charging. Since only one of the DC levels exists in practice, it's enough to say just "DC charging". Using non-existent levels is just creating confusion.

• Disagree
Reactions: Victoria3