TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Considering a Seattle/LA/Seattle Drive

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ibdb, Mar 18, 2016.

1. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

I was picked for a golden ticket for the Model ≡ reveal. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of making the trip now.

I know that I'd have 100% supercharger coverage for the trip if I chose to drive it and am wondering if any one here has had any recent experiences with the route. As much as I'd like to make it a scenic drive, I have commitments back in Seattle on Saturday after the reveal, and most likely wouldn't be able to leave Seattle before Wednesday.

I've driven Seattle/San Diego and San Diego/Seattle in an ICE more than once driving solo, so I'm familiar with the route and the distance, but I'd like to hear from any Model S drivers who've made the trip more recently. I'll have a co-driver/passenger for this trip who also has more than a few long road trips in their history.

Flying down and back is still an option, too, but comes with some logistical issues of its own.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I used to make that trip frequently in a Roadster. The first time I used campgrounds; after that we had HPCs installed. AFAIK they are all still running, but I haven't actually tried it for over 2 years. There is a lot of waiting on L2.

I've done it a few times in a Model S, though it's been over a year since the last time. No issues at all - the Superchargers are plenty close together. It's easy to take bio breaks and eat meals at Superchargers, though some stops are definitely better than others. You can make it to the Bay area in one day, though it's a pretty long day. I haven't tried driving farther than that without stopping at a campground or hotel. Traveling during the week, I don't think (?) you'll hit any crowding at Superchargers, except perhaps close to the reveal event if many people are driving.

If there's more specific info you'd like to know, please let us know.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Gratz on your ticket. /jealous

I already have a trip planned thru CA next week -- with the original intent of going to the Reveal. Alas no ticket. F it. I'm going to CA to see Tesla enthusiasts anyway. Probably won't make it to LA though without the Reveal to motivate me.

4. Zextraterrestrial

next weekend is the Spring Enduro in Medford. If you happen to be passing through then I will be race practicing on Saturday and racing Sunday morning.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Napkin calculation....
    1. evttripplanner.com
    2. Seattle, WA
    3. Hawthorne, CA
    4. Route thru Superchargers
    Distance 1182.5 miles
    Driving Time 18:51

Let's estimate 1 hr charging per 200 miles -> (1182-200)/200 ~= 5 hours

A.
    Let's estimate you go 80 mph the whole way (unlikely) -> 15 hours
    Trip duration: 20 hours

B.
    A more realistic 70mph the whole way (less unlikely) -> 17 hours
    Trip duration: 22 hours

C.
    A likely 60mph average -> 20 hours
    Trip duration: 25 hours

Both of your constraints are achievable but I highly recommend having at least 2 drivers unless you want to a dangerous trip home.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Also a bit more data:

Single driver experience Bellevue to/from Mountain View:
    • Chevy Equinox: 13 hours
    • Mercury - P85D with 100% charge limit and 120 kW supercharging: 17 hours
    • Tess - P85 Sig with 90% charge limit and 90 kW supercharging: 18.5 hours
    I think I could probably do 16 hours in Mercury if I avoid traffic and construction, and it was summer weather.

7. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

You guys were supposed to find some miracle math that showed me how wrong I was, and that the trip actually would take a lot less time than I'd thought. ;)

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking. It's easily doable, but not easily doable in the time I have available. Looks like I'd better start looking for airfare.