Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering buying a model x plaid. Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Since you are all owners or potential owners I wanted to hear your thoughts. Is the car a good buy now or should I wait for maybe end of qtr/ end of year incentives or even further when they either refresh the vehicle or fix the issues people are having with the new model?

I bought my model 3 back during preorders and I think it’s time to sell and upgrade especially before highland releases and kills whatever value I still have in my car. Thoughts?

My family wanted to scale up from my Model 3 Performance sedan to an SUV. I'm not thrilled with the proportions of the Model Y.

The limited-time FSD Beta transfer was the deciding factor that convinced us to act now, and we went with a Model X Plaid. A nearby store had an inventory vehicle that checked all the boxes I wanted: gray exterior, black interior, 22-inch wheels, HW4, and the new matrix headlights (though frankly, I don't know that those mean a whole lot to me). Being an inventory vehicle means it enjoyed a $7,500 discount.

Will Model X prices go lower in the future? Higher? Who knows. But I will say, right now, if you can find an inventory car that has all of your requirements met, that $7,500 discount is nice.

For driving dynamics, I still prefer a sport sedan. I like a lower seating position and a lighter car. But since my family needed an SUV, the Model X Plaid is about as much performance as you can get in this vehicle class. It's expensive, but anything that performs better will make it seem like a bargain by comparison. And yes, it is insanely quick. My wife could not stop giggling as I demonstrated the acceleration.

I do hope they get the HW4 door behavior improved soon. It's clunky to have the front doors slowly open to about six inches and resist opening further until they've reached that target.

I’m in the same boat and wondering as well. With the price drop, guess a question (concern?) is how much more will the price drop and/or additional incentives (free suoercharging, etc) get added to new orders?

Roll of the dice for sure and although I’m not in “rush”, hoping to benefit from capitalizing at the best possible time.

I’m in the same boat and wondering as well. With the price drop, guess a question (concern?) is how much more will the price drop and/or additional incentives (free suoercharging, etc) get added to new orders?

Roll of the dice for sure and although I’m not in “rush”, hoping to benefit from capitalizing at the best possible time.

Correct. Both Q3 and Q4 end there are going to be discounts due to economic downturn and higher interest rates, and when the competition comes out Tesla will undercut the competition severely.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I see price war on EVs leading by Tesla. 'Premium brands ' like MB and BMW will cut their EV prices in response to tesla cuts and it should benefit consumers.
Honestly, there is no reason EV should cost much more than ICE.

I bit the bullet and put in the deposit to get the Model X plaid due to this major price drop.
This is my first Tesla, been holding off for some time now.
So far my experience is not so good. Trade is way too low, I now have to go find another way. Finance, I some how didn't qualify for the 6.19, but got 6.44.
Odd, I'm putting a sizable down and 800 credit score. I'll likely going thru my bank. I'm still on the waiting list for my build so, we'll see what happens.

This cutting thin, Q3 looks good Q4 might be perfect but risky of how Elon changes his mind so often.
Personally, I feel the Plaid is near the bottom price point, especially with the inclusive paint. I could see it maybe going down another 5k but not free paint, but I'd predict that the base X could go down more, even closer to 70k, and widening the price gap between Plaid and base X. I would guess something like 70-75k base without the free paint, so folks can freely choose what options they want to keep it under 80k. Plaid would probably stay closer to the 85-90k range.

This cutting thin, Q3 looks good Q4 might be perfect but risky of how Elon changes his mind so often.

Just look at the competition coming in 2024. Tesla simply cannot afford to upkeep the current prices. The other alternative is that Tesla will come up with a refresh for S/X that is again priced higher, but then you are left with the alternative to buy the earlier 2023 models for cheap or wait 2 more years to skip the bleeding edge overpriced new refresh, before the next refresh. As you can see, Tesla simply cannot increase the prices due to the 2024 competition that is finally arriving. Tesla can only improve their quality and lower their prices.

WRT price, while I can see the possibility of further drops, with the complexity of the tech on the X and the cost burden of warrantying the Plaid, it's hard for me to imagine any further significant (let's say >$10k) price drops, especially with 3 yrs unlim supercharging, free colors, loyalty discounts, free FSD, and so forth. If those price drops do come, my bet is that we might see some of those perks being pulled back. 3 yrs of free supercharging is worth a lot to me, personally.

I agree with Tiger's point about end of quarter discounts based on my history with Tesla, however those are usually given to ship our inventory units, so I'm not sure if I'd want them unless they were significant.

On the subject of competition coming, I'm not sure I agree. For me (and given Tesla has made it clear the 6 seat config is the most popular on the X, I don't think I'm alone), having three rows of seating is critical. Otherwise something like the S makes more sense in most situations. I'll never understand the need for an SUV with a standard 2 + 3 seating complement, but I digress. If you need three rows, you have to strikes at least 90% of everything currently available or on the horizon - including everything from BMW and Audi, which are the two choices that I feel represent the closest cross-shopping options. The fact is that the MX provides a boatload of features, performance, and a bare minimum of luxury at a price point of around $90k.

And frankly, buying any EV that cannot use superchargers with intent to drive it farther than 150 miles from your home is very ill advised, IMO. Having tried to use non-supercharger charging stations on road trips before, I wouldn't even consider something that didn't have access to Tesla's network. The poor charge rates (most everything is 60kW or less unless you're in highly populated areas), terrible reliability, and poor coverage make the infrastructure near worthless as a dependable source of range extension.

On the subject of competition coming, I'm not sure I agree. For me (and given Tesla has made it clear the 6 seat config is the most popular on the X, I don't think I'm alone), having three rows of seating is critical. Otherwise something like the S makes more sense in most situations. I'll never understand the need for an SUV with a standard 2 + 3 seating complement, but I digress. If you need three rows, you have to strikes at least 90% of everything currently available or on the horizon - including everything from BMW and Audi, which are the two choices that I feel represent the closest cross-shopping options. The fact is that the MX provides a boatload of features, performance, and a bare minimum of luxury at a price point of around $90k.

And frankly, buying any EV that cannot use superchargers with intent to drive it farther than 150 miles from your home is very ill advised, IMO. Having tried to use non-supercharger charging stations on road trips before, I wouldn't even consider something that didn't have access to Tesla's network. The poor charge rates (most everything is 60kW or less unless you're in highly populated areas), terrible reliability, and poor coverage make the infrastructure near worthless as a dependable source of range extension.

Probably all cars that have any vitality will come with Tesla charging.

Speaking of 7-seaters:

Not sure what the schedule of the other big guys is, but the asian brands also make 7-seaters: