Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Phone Induction Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krash

Data Technician
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
Listings
My phone uses Qi induction charging. I don't keep in in a case and my phone fits flat nicely sideways on the rubber mat behind the flip up charge location.

So I wanted to see if the Tesla USB port would drive enough power for an induction Qi plate and if the induction would cross the raised area of the OEM mat. It does.

I used a short USB-C cable. (I had bought a spare when buying one for the USB-C phone holder mod) And I used a disassembled Choetech USB-C Wireless Qi Charging Pad since it is USB-C, powerful, cheap, easily found, and easily dissembled.

full

full

For future improvements I may use a flush dual accessory USB adapter to power this in order to keep the data enabled USB ports free, but require a longer cable. I also considered running a fiber optic cable from the LED light that is enabled when the unit is charging, to someplace visible. Removing the LED light, stringing some thin wire and locating the light elsewhere would be even cooler. I am curious as to where forum members would envision this light. I also considered building a frame for the coil unit, to make it easier to remove the mat without worrying about the short cables moving the coil assembly in front of the mat alignment holes.

If you are considering doing this mod, keep in mind that if your phone is too large to fit flat it won't charge. (Most phones and likely the new iPhone 8 are to tall). Even if it fits, if you have a thick case it may be too far from the coil to charge. I don't know what the phantom power draw is.

Last edited: