Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Console Screen - Expected Lifespan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard any details about how long the center screen is expected to last? Any information about stress testing, etc?

It's been about two years since the first Model 3s rolled off the assembly line, and I haven't heard any issues with them yet.

However, the yellow banding on Model S/Xs didn't show up until roughly 1-2 years into the car's life (based on the official Tesla forum posts and reports), and the screen bubbling/leaking issues didn't become noticable until 4-5 years into the car's lifespan (!). That's out of the warranty period for the Model 3. I don't see anywhere to purchase extended warranty on Model 3s in Canada.

I've really enjoyed my SR+ in the 3 months I've had it, but I'd like to know more about the expected longevity of what is arguably the most important component of the Model 3 (after the battery & drivetrain).

Oddly, automotive reliability and durability testing is just crickets here.

Early on, there were bunch of folks w/bad touchscreens. Examples:
Phantom touch on the Model 3
Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues - search for touch
Monthly Update for April 2018 - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

I'm not able to locate the other threads were people chimed in on their legit touchscreen issues (not the ones where a screen protector wasn't removed, which caused probs). But, it seems like that prob is solved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cadetsea
Here are 2 more phantom touch guys.
Any others with this early issue on the Model 3 headlights?
Model 3 - Warranty repair on Phantom touch on the screen

Maybe you can find more by Googling for site:teslamotorsclub.com phantom input "model 3" and some variants of that.
Yea. The life of the vehicle.
Besides the bubbles, leaking LCD and yellowing, I guess you're not aware of Model S encountering worn out eMMC due to too many writes.

MCU fails for the second time

Some folks have embarked on cheaper solutions: Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll hear any official figures unless Tesla/Elon wants to brag (the company is about hype) or someone inside leaks something. Hope for the worst case (e.g. failure right after warranty expiration) and if it doesn't happen... at least you won't really be disappointed?

Last edited:
Reactions: cadetsea