Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant hum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm a first-time, new Tesla owner! Just got the 2023 Model S. I noticed that the car makes a constant hum while parked in my garage. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side under the frunk. Ambient temperature in the garage is about 65 F.

It occurs whether being charged or not. It happens even after 30 min of idle when it should be asleep. I am not connecting to it via the Tesla app or any 3rd party software. I have turned off both sentry mode and cabin overtemp protection. I've turned off my phone's Bluetooth just in case. Nothing seems to change the fact that it is constantly humming 24/7.

Some more info:
- overnight i lost about 18 miles of range over 18 hours while parked and not charging(did not access app during this time, sentry mode off, cabin overtemp protection off)
- power app states that most of this loss was due to "vehicle standby"
- the hum I mentioned above is even present when I power off the vehicle (controls -> safety -> power off)

Doesn't sound normal. I'd expect 2-3 miles of loss. I'd first try a reboot. Press both scroll wheels in at the same time until the main display goes blank.
Yes, tried both soft reset (holding both scroll wheels) as well as hard reset (power off, wait 5 min, press brake) - both without any change in the phantom drain or hum.

Do you possibly have smart summon enabled? I've seen some people commenting that this might keep the car from going to sleep. I don't have smart summon so I don't know from personal experience, but might be something else to check.

Hello, I'm a first-time, new Tesla owner! Just got the 2023 Model S. I noticed that the car makes a constant hum while parked in my garage. It seems to be coming from the front passenger side under the frunk. Ambient temperature in the garage is about 65 F.

It occurs whether being charged or not. It happens even after 30 min of idle when it should be asleep. I am not connecting to it via the Tesla app or any 3rd party software. I have turned off both sentry mode and cabin overtemp protection. I've turned off my phone's Bluetooth just in case. Nothing seems to change the fact that it is constantly humming 24/7.

The hum is coming from a transformer that is vibrating. Most likely it's coming from the DC DC Converter located underneath the wheel well in the frunk. II"m not sure if the DC DC converter has transformers in them, but, this hum is usually associated with a live electrical current going through and inductor in a transformer to convert a high voltage to a low voltage. The plates seperating the two inductors in a transformer is made of multiple flat metals together, it's the constant moving of this plate that is causing the hum.

Might want to check with the service center or message the service advisor on your app to find out what it is. It's still under warranty, take advantage of it before it gets costly.

having similar problem, but it sounds like fan is spinning, its not always present but it happens multiple time a day, losing 2-3% per day on vehicle standby, please let me know if you fix this problem.

It might be the coolant pumps running. I haven't had my 2015 P85D really long but it does this especially when I have it plugged in and it's cold. I'm guessing the car is just trying warm itself up. It comes and it goes.

If you want to make sure 100% then take out the frunk trim and bowl, then just look around under the hood when it's whining. It's how I figured out it was the coolant pumps that were whining albeit I was after something else.

yes i can hear quiet buzz even when i power it off, its always present, not sure if its normal.

I could be wrong however turning "off" the car in the main screen doesn't shut off the car from continuing to take care of the HV battery and doing what it needs to keep that battery safe and in shape. I suppose it would be different if you disconnect the 12v battery and the fireman's loop.

Reactions: zivac87
I could be wrong however turning "off" the car in the main screen doesn't shut off the car from continuing to take care of the HV battery and doing what it needs to keep that battery safe and in shape. I suppose it would be different if you disconnect the 12v battery and the fireman's loop.
is your car dead silent inside while powered off or you can hear some electricity buzz?

is your car dead silent inside while powered off or you can hear some electricity buzz?

I don't recall specifically so I don't want to give false information. I just know that my car will run the coolant pumps as it needs to for whatever reason. The humming sound was also very apparent when I first had my car in my home and it surprised me too (I've owned my car less than 2 weeks). I thought it weird until I took everything out of the frunk (trim and tub) and realized that it was the pumps running to circulate the coolant.

Reactions: zivac87
I've read some people who say the noise is from coolant pumps. Others who say it is a fan drying out the A/C system so that funky odors don't form. But it remains weird to me that, if it is the coolant pumps, why is it running 24/7 when my car is parked, asleep, and ambient temp is 70F? Does that imply a sensor is broken or something is making the battery pack too hot/cold when ambient is 70F?

Yes between 40% to 80% it is always there. It is present whether not charging or while charging (AC 240V 32 amp NEMA 14-50 with mobile connector).

I think it's time to pull the trim and tub from the frunk and visually conform which component it is or take it to the SC and let them do it since your car is still under warranty.

I have a hunch it's normal (after 2 weeks of ownership experience). There are various threads on this forum that talk about humming noise under the frunk and most of them is concluding that it is normal. The car is doing it's thing to keep itself in tip-top shape.

It is not normal. The coolant pump heater running more than it should impacted older cars like our P85Ds @dwbv when charging to above ~75% it’ll run for a while after charging is finished. Doesn’t run all day. Many threads on this if you want the gory details.
For a new ‘23 MS, this is certainly abnormal so service ticket asap IMO.

Yeah I'm losing 1 mile per hour while parked/asleep due to "vehicle standby", which IMO seems unreasonable. I have a service appt coming up in a week. Hopefully the Tesla techs don't give the standard "it's normal" when in reality they have no idea.