Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constantly re-starting charge after being stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is something I've noted over the past few weeks/months but have not been able to pin down a particular update that might have caused it.

I plug the car in at some point each day but I don't want it to start charging straight away because I want Intelligent Octopus to start it when I'm on the cheap rate. I know IO will eventually detect a charging car outside the window and stop it but according to Octopus this may be up to 30 mins after it starts (they only poll every 30 mins to prevent constantly waking up a sleeping car).

So I press the Stop Charging button in the car, close up and leave. However, I've caught it numerous times re-starting of its own accord. Sometimes it's if I open the Tesla app or the car door to get something that triggers it. But sometimes, it seems to trigger itself. I once caught it after it had charged over 20% outside the cheap window and IO hadn't stopped it.

Anyone else see this and know what the issue might be? I don't have scheduling set up, it's all meant to be controlled by IO.

Yeah I don't believe this is an IO issue since it happens outside any IO charging windows and seems to be mostly triggered by either opening the Tesla app (which wakes the car) or opening the car door. The car seems like it "forgets" that I specifically stopped the charge.

Hi @rubenarakelyan,

I have a Tesla Model S 100D (2018) that received recently an MCU2 update (and the latest versions), and I have the same issue.
I don't have the Octopus thing, just a Tesla Wallcharger Gen3.
With MCU1 and the last version available (a very old version) I didn't have this issue.
I think it's a software issue/bug.

Yeah I don't believe this is an IO issue since it happens outside any IO charging windows and seems to be mostly triggered by either opening the Tesla app (which wakes the car) or opening the car door. The car seems like it "forgets" that I specifically stopped the charge.
I also do not believe this is an IO issue and have a Service Request open with Tesla right now about it. See Car starts charging without prompt

Interesting and good to know others are seeing the same and it's not just me going mad! But a shame going by the other thread mentioned above that Tesla don't seem interested in a fix. It used to work fine until a software update, just a shame I don't know which one specifically broke it.

I’m running into this now,too. I have it set only to be charged by 8am and to only charge during non peek which for me is between 11pm and 9am, and during the week it’s charging whenever it wants instead of waiting. I also have Tessie.

I’ve had a support request and complaint open with Octopus for more than two months. The issue has been present for at least four months. They have not even begun to understand that this is a problem, let alone how to resolve it. After numerous emails with copious evidence of the issue, the Smart Charging Team suggested that there was a third-party schedule causing the peak-rate charging, when in fact this was setup in the car specifically to prevent peak-rate charging. The last straw was being asked to disconnect and re-register the car for the fifth time.

I have now moved off IO to the Tracker tariff and can charge whenever I need to. Because a formal complaint was raised and has not been resolved in 8 weeks it has been escalated to a “Senior Manager“. It’s too late for me to resolve this now; I am just asking for a refund of the peak-rate charges caused by IO.