Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports takes delivery of their Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cross your fingers and hope for no bad Karma moments.

I'm both excited and nervous about the CR test. If things go well, it could be a huge PR win for Tesla and for EVs in general. If bugs derail the experience, it will be all over the news and very very bad:eek:

When Consumer Reports gave the 2012 Honda Civic the thumbs down, it was reported in nearly every media outlet, and Honda had to scramble to re-work the interior, steering, and suspension on the Civic for its 2013 refresh. This didn't seem to hurt sales of the Civic, but it put a big dent in Honda's reputation. I don't want that to happen to Tesla!

I have owned my Model S for 3 months now and I love it. I have seen some bugs but they are minor... like my iPhone does not always connect and small stuff like that. Those details are bothersome but they are minor compared to how great this car is.

I am sure CR will find basically the same thing. CR folks are level headed and will probably report some bugs but in the end will see that this is the future and there are some things to be worked out and this is the best car is a game changer for a greener future. And so far I am hopeful for a greener future!

I hope/expect that CR will provide a serious education for potential Model S purchasers. True range projections ... not the 300 mi that Tesla claims (I know, at 55 mph steady state), not the 265 EPA but a real number in everyday driving conditions (cold with heat running and some acceleration runs). Real supercharger charging rates ... not 150mi per 30 mins (when near empty) but more like 45 minutes depending on state of charge and actual voltage the car is seeing.

The question I have is whether they will position this as the reality of owning an EV and something that prospective owners should be aware of (the "good" article) or a debunking of misleading marketing claims from Tesla regarding same items (the "bad" article). I tend to think of CR as level headed and reasonable so I think it will be the former but you never know.

Tesla really needs an "education" section on their website that takes people beyond the basics. Not everyone is going to comb the forums to fully understand the limitations of EV technology. ICE vehicles have their own limitations but people have already lived with, and understand, those.

CR folks are level headed and will probably report some bugs but in the end will see that this is the future and there are some things to be worked out and this is the best car is a game changer for a greener future

They have been known to obsess over some very trivial stuff in the past. My Dad was a big fan of CR until the mid 80s when they reviewed a Volkswagen model that he happened to own (and love) but they decided that they could not recommend the car because it took 7 cranks to roll down the window! I'm not kidding. They gave it excellent marks for engine, accident avoidance, etc. but 7 cranks for the manual windows was apparently a deal breaker. :mad:

Oh, I'm sure Tesla knows exactly which car CR has... Between the pictures posted, the general area it's in, when it was delivered, and by getting GPS coordinates of what car has been in or around the CR campus, it wouldn't be hard at all.

I'm guessing there is an intern assigned solely to look at the logs for that car on a daily basis! :biggrin:

Looking at some of the training that Ranger's undergo, there should be little difficulty involved with running some night ops to periodically infiltrate the Consumer Reports facility to perform needed maintenance and upgrades on their Model S test car.

Ranger Training Brigade - Fort Benning

I hope/expect that CR will provide a serious education for potential Model S purchasers. True range projections ... not the 300 mi that Tesla claims (I know, at 55 mph steady state), not the 265 EPA but a real number in everyday driving conditions (cold with heat running and some acceleration runs). Real supercharger charging rates ... not 150mi per 30 mins (when near empty) but more like 45 minutes depending on state of charge and actual voltage the car is seeing.

The question I have is whether they will position this as the reality of owning an EV and something that prospective owners should be aware of (the "good" article) or a debunking of misleading marketing claims from Tesla regarding same items (the "bad" article). I tend to think of CR as level headed and reasonable so I think it will be the former but you never know.

Tesla really needs an "education" section on their website that takes people beyond the basics. Not everyone is going to comb the forums to fully understand the limitations of EV technology. ICE vehicles have their own limitations but people have already lived with, and understand, those.

Well said.

Let me guess, you haven't spent many winters on the east coast?
We have potholes that you can build a Starbucks in, most of us on the right coast are going with 19" wheels, at least for winter snow tires at a minimum. It's not fun to replace a $500 tire and $400 wheel...

LOL. It's possible. But, it's also possible that I'm from Brooklyn. Thanks for guessing though.

i HATE Consumer Reports.

i truly truly do.

an old relic of journalism best suited to test microwave ovens and dishwashers, NOT cars.

whether CR gives the Model S a glowing, red-circle review or a crippling, black-circle review, it will not change my opinion of the car i'm about to receive even one iota.

F Consumer Reports...