Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer reports YouTube interview on brakes & exclusive info from Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit -- before my time.
Did you have to insert a key first ?
Yes, a key was required. I've always remembered the push button because I had only to touch it, and the small Ford flathead V8 would be immediately running, very quietly. Three on the column, over-drive. Inherited from my Father in 1958, after he died from ALS. Fender skirts, external sun visor, suicide doors. It was basically the car seen in James Dean's movie, "Rebel Without a Cause." Sixty years ago.

Can you provide a supporting link or explanation?

"Sound-Absorbing Front Door Windows:
"Noise reducing laminated front door window glass helps create a quiet cabin environment." {{mctrl.meta.metaTitle}} [click on exterior]

Shirley, you can't be serious. :p

Since you linked to a Kia website, I take it your earlier statement about the glass material changing was based solely on the CR reporting, which said: "Musk said that in the time since CR’s test car was built in January, Model 3s received modified window glass to reduce wind noise".

I would contend that could be interpreted as meaning something other than changing the glass material.

Shirley, you can't be serious. :p

Since you linked to a Kia website, I take it your earlier statement about the glass material changing was based solely on the CR reporting, which said: "Musk said that in the time since CR’s test car was built in January, Model 3s received modified window glass to reduce wind noise".

I would contend that could be interpreted as meaning something other than changing the glass material.

I don't understand your response. Why would I not be serious? Consumers reports gave the M 3 a road test score (which includes noise) of 75; the Kia Optima received 86. The Kia Optima is also the quietest of the midsize sedans. Although it is conceivable that "modified window glass" is something other than a different material; a different material appears to be most likely.

Would be cool if they supported multi language. Probably not high priority though. Localization often takes a back seat in the software industry.

For me, I'm good with the car as it is today. I welcome future usability improvements to the screen UI as well as voice controls, but I don't feel like I'm depending on these future changes to be safe with my car.
Multi language / support for other languages is always going to be a tricky one. Of course, for car control, it will mostly work. However, if you try to call someone (today, with language set to US English) with a non-English name, you will feel the struggle. Now, imagine you are driving somewhere, and want to tell the navigation system to guide you to some address in a Spanish-speaking country, or, as the situation is in Europe, any address outside of your home country... -And you cannot just change the language of the UI, because you probably cannot say "Navigate to" in many languages...

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I wonder why they released the car with "iffy" brakes when a simple software update will fix it. Were they in too much of a rush to make deliveries?
As you must have have heard, most tests have determined that the 3's brakes are good. CR was the only one with this issue (although I have seen quotes that C & D also saw some issues). I would believe that the reason it was released without the software fix was because this issue wasn't previously discovered.

I don't get the key or fob issue but I don't have my 3 yet. I don't understand why you have to have a key or fob for using a valet. I also don't quite understand the need for a key to access storage as was stated in the video. If I use a valet I can put the 3 in valet mode and hand over the card. What is the problem other than an uninformed valet? A valet parks cars for hours and hours every day. I think they will figure it out after they see a few dozen 3s. It makes little sense to change the design of the car to accommodate the learning curve of a valet.

I don't think I want to give the valet a fob that also opens storage. Are they suggesting a fob for vehicle access and a different fob for storage access? It makes no sense. The card and Valet mode solves a problem, why go back?

I listened to EVTV and Jack Rickard goes on a hilarious rant about the enormous problems and expense with getting a model S fob replaced. Possible strong language alert.

See 19:30 minutes in.

The cards are supposed to be only $10. Jack thought the model 3 card was a brilliant solution. But Jack did complain about intermittent operation of the smart phone app. In the a followup video it turned out that the problem was resolved by not having multiple copies of the smart phone app trying to access the 3 at the same time. The 3 seems to lockout the smart phones in some cases if I understand it. Watching EVTV can be a little like watching "slow TV" but he sure gets into the nitty gritty technically. Good stuff you won't hear anywhere else.

Were I to have a 3 I might be able to make better sense out of the CR issue with the cards and valets but my bet is that in 12 months other car manufacturers will be copying Tesla. In 18ish months the model 3 will just drop you off and park itself and no more valet problems<grin>.

I am happy to say that this week seems to be a week where Tesla made substantial progress. The Boring company info was great and the SpaceX Shotwell interviews were great. Progress in a world that needs it.

had to seriously roll my eyes at about 7 minutes when he had to check his card, presumably due to dementia.
the guy talks so much *sugar* it makes me actually somewhat angry. he could at least have some slight objectivity...

Multi language / support for other languages is always going to be a tricky one. Of course, for car control, it will mostly work. However, if you try to call someone (today, with language set to US English) with a non-English name, you will feel the struggle. Now, imagine you are driving somewhere, and want to tell the navigation system to guide you to some address in a Spanish-speaking country, or, as the situation is in Europe, any address outside of your home country... -And you cannot just change the language of the UI, because you probably cannot say "Navigate to" in many languages...

With the huge computer capability of the M3, having it set for the language of your choice should not be a problem.

With the huge computer capability of the M3, having it set for the language of your choice should not be a problem.
Of course not. The problem arrives when you try to tell it (in English): "Navigate to place de la concorde", or "Navigate to l'aeroporte de côte d'Azure". -And with me being Norwegian, I most definitely wouldn't set the language in the car to French, as my French sucks. -And if I pronounce an address in French, with the navigation in English (Norwegian is not a choice, but the same rules apply), the computer is unable to understand French words (or destinations), as they are not in the dictionary for English. -And of course, I have tried this, and know what I am talking about. I used to work for an international company, and as such have many contacts on my contact list, with names from many countries. In the Tesla, I can ask the car to call everyone with English-sounding names, since it is set to English. If I try to tell the car to call "Asbjørn", the car makes many different attempts, but never gets close. -And the situation is naturally the same with Siri. Siri on my iPhone is set to Norwegian, and hits my Norwegian contacts easily, but as soon as I want to call James, Siri has no good suggestions.

What I am trying to say, is that in a world that is getting more and more international, voice command has some serious limitations until it can reliably detect that a user may change languages for specific words / parts of sentences. -And this probably won't be possible yet for quite a few years, since AI has a high enough error rate as it is, while just sticking to one language at a time.