Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Study: Drivers turning off "annoying" driver safety systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've rarely experienced LDA or ELDA probably because I drive with AP on almost all the time. The couple times when I did experience LDA, it worked great. I had drifted a bit in my lane and my wheels almost touched the center line and it nudged me back correctly. I am glad LDA helped me in those cases.

same here. But the LKA on Lexus and other makes is atrocious.

Reactions: diplomat33
I’m amazed at the difference in experience between others on this forum and me.

My P3 is on 2018.28.3.1 and Lane Departure Warning/Assist is so the unreliable that I’m truly puzzled how this possibly cleared any quality control/testing.

I just drove home and specifically turned on Lane Departure Warning to test it. It simply does not work. The car displays the lanes so it obviously can “see” the lanes but when I intentionally drift across the lane lines (I tried it at 25mph and 45mph, slow drift, made sure no-one was in the other lane), nada, zip, WTF?!?

I mean, I want this to work, I don’t think safety features or autonomy features are useless but I’m just truly disappointed and baffled at the disconnect between marketing pitch and reality with my P3 when it comes to anything related to it’s computerized driving features.

What’s going on at Tesla??? And no, I’m not an entitled brat wanting important features on a product that cost me $60000+ to work on a level that’s not embarrassing.

I’m sorry but there’s obviously something fundamentally messed up in that team at Tesla if they cannot even get that basic feature to work.

I just drove home and specifically turned on Lane Departure Warning to test it. It simply does not work. The car displays the lanes so it obviously can “see” the lanes but when I intentionally drift across the lane lines (I tried it at 25mph and 45mph, slow drift, made sure no-one was in the other lane), nada, zip, WTF?!?

There are several factors which set it off. But generally speaking, LDA will only trigger if it has not sensed any torque on the steering wheel for a while, and then you drift over a line. It's really only meant to trigger in case you fall asleep or pass unconscious.

ELDA is a bit more mysterious. I've found it more likely to trigger when you're on the far right or far left and it thinks you're about to run off the road. Or theoretically it will activate to avoid a side collision.

Reactions: diplomat33
...was doing on Toyota's clusterf* of an Entune system.
When people crib about Tesla UX - I've to really scratch my head. Have they never driven another brand before ?!

ps : On Nissan Leaf - they had two clocks. One at the "entertainment console" and the other behind the steering wheel. They couldn't keep them in sync. After a lot of complaints in '13 Leaf they gave an option to turn off one of the clocks ;)

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I’m amazed at the difference in experience between others on this forum and me.

My P3 is on 2018.28.3.1 and Lane Departure Warning/Assist is so the unreliable that I’m truly puzzled how this possibly cleared any quality control/testing.

I mean, I want this to work, I don’t think safety features or autonomy features are useless but I’m just truly disappointed and baffled at the disconnect between marketing pitch and reality with my P3 when it comes to anything related to it’s computerized driving features.

What’s going on at Tesla??? And no, I’m not an entitled brat wanting important features on a product that cost me $60000+ to work on a level that’s not embarrassing.

I’m sorry but there’s obviously something fundamentally messed up in that team at Tesla if they cannot even get that basic feature to work.

I’d recommend leaving it on for a bit to see how it works (in Assist mode). I will say it has always triggered (so far!) when I have unintentionally drifted. Not to say I should count on it or anything. But just driving and testing it deliberately, you won’t notice it. Also, I have found certain steering corrections to be very subtle. Some are much less subtle.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Remember how many people on TMC were angry you couldn't permanently disable ELDA? I was shocked so many people were rushing to turn safety features off: Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives
When ELDA was first rolled out, I got false positives almost every day. It was really annoying and the way the car suddenly intervened and jerked the wheel felt unsafe. That said, I now leave it on again and haven't had a false positive for weeks. They must have adjusted the sensitivity or something. But for some reason I now get more false positives from the Forward Collision Warning feature. I wish Tesla would include things like this in the firmware release notes, so you'd know when to expect a changed behavior.

Reactions: EVNow
Remember how many people on TMC were angry you couldn't permanently disable ELDA? I was shocked so many people were rushing to turn safety features off: Emergency Lane Departure - False Positives

That was because the first revision of it seemed almost unsafe. I encountered it once unexpectedly correcting my steering on an on ramp where I was centered in the lane, but there were no lane markers so the car decided to intervene and take over my steering. I corrected, but it was alarming. No one wants to drive a car that may unexpectedly jerk the wheel on you at what appears to you to be a random spot.

Luckily the roads I drove on just had that one spot, so I left it on and they have improved it since, so I no longer encounter it at all. I totally understood folks who drove on roads where the ELDA made it more dangerous. I believe the road markings in other countries were causing such bad issues Tesla released a local update within a few days to correct those ASAP.

Source: U.S. Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study | J.D. Power

COSTA MESA, Calif.: 27 Aug. 2019 — Some alerts on Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) are so annoying or bothersome that many drivers disable the systems and may try to avoid them on future vehicle purchases, according to the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Tech Experience Index (TXI) Study,SM released today. This is a major concern for automakers keen to market these lucrative technologies and pave the way for more highly automated vehicles in the future.
. . .
A prime example of this is lane-keeping and centering systems. On average, 23% of customers with these systems complain that the alerts are annoying or bothersome. This ranges from just 8% for one domestic brand to more than 30% for a couple of import brands. For these owners, 61% sometimes disable the system, compared with just 21% of those that don’t consider the alerts annoying or bothersome. Owners wanting the feature on their next vehicle ranges from 63% for those that consider the alerts annoying or bothersome to 91% for those who do not.

My experience with Prius Prime, TSS-P, lane keep alert, matches this study. After enough 'nags', it would then suggest time to take a driving break. Worse, the 'nudge' back to lane if not checked would cross the other side. It had no controlled steering to the lane center.

In contrast, AutoPilot holds the center of the lane without a problem. The driver still monitors what is going on but more as an interested passenger than a harried driver. However, surveys of Tesla owners reveals about 20% don't like or trust AutoPilot and some are quite vociferous. Of course others may regret the loss of hand brakes, manual transmissions, and floor switch operated high/low beams.

Bob Wilson

Of course others may regret the loss of hand brakes, manual transmissions, and floor switch operated high/low beams.

Bob Wilson

And others like me would like to have AP that works MUCH better.

If the electronic parking brake was as capricious as Tesla’s horrid AP, I’d regret the loss of hand brakes. But it works fine.

If the single speed EV drivetrain was as unreliable as Tesla’s ridiculous AP, I’d regret the loss of manual transmissions. But it works fantastically!

If the headlights were as stupid as Tesla’s sorry AP, I’d regret the loss of floor switch operated lights. But the headlights work just fine.

The problem is not prejudiced dislike of new tech but the rotten state of Tesla’s implementation as of today together with Tesla’s bombastic claims and exaggerations.

Disclaimer:I don’t hate the car. It’s awesome except for the totally disappointing “self” driving tech that is an example of “great potential” that never lives up to its aspirations.

• Funny
Disclaimer:I don’t hate the car. It’s awesome except for the totally disappointing “self” driving tech that is an example of “great potential” that never lives up to its aspirations.
What you are describing in engineering is called "managing user expectations."

In contrast, the world is broke and I'm here to fix it. I'd rather test what exists and work within its limits than 'curse the darkness.' Where I can, fix it, but if not . . . deal with it.

Bob Wilson