TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Convergentpower.com

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mpt, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I don't know where these guys got my email address from but, do we know these guys? They seem familiar.

2. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I seem to remember seeing one of those advertisements telling about their great generator and if you pay them money they'll tell you how to build one yourself to get all of this power. If it really works like they say, they would have already built one and started making gobs of money off of it since it would be cheaper to operate than all of the competition. But as you can see, they are simply asking for money from people.

3. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

That's what I was thinking - it's the motor that makes more power than it uses nonsense.

4. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

But it's your chance to get in on the ground floor! I mean, who doesn't want their back-EMF reduced???

5. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

To put things in a more technical perspective... what a load of nonsense.

7. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I also like the one about Tesla's secret free energy and if you send them $50 they'll tell you how to make it. Ok, if I know how to make a generator that will produce energy for ever, why would I tell someone else how to make it? I would build it in CA and start selling power and make a fortune. In other words
    the_economic_argument.png

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

PULSED MULTI-ROTOR CONSTANT AIR GAP SWITCHED RELUCTANCE MOTOR - CONVERGENT POWER, INC.

Patent WO/2009/149251A1

http://www.sgvexaminer.com/images/B%20Aug%2021%20-%2027%2008.pdf
    By the way, the business address appears to be a house.

9. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

So if they've filed patents, I expect they did some analysis and then published in some peer reviewed journals to validate their claims?

10. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Nowhere in the letter does it make any such claims (of making more power than it uses). He only claims to have a more efficient motor/generator. While I agree the letter does little to steer the reader towards any credible evidence that it works, trying instead to convince you of something by repeating a lot of semi-disjointed technical jargon, you should at least not accuse him of saying things he didn't.

I'm surprised it's worthwhile to mail such a letter. I can't imagine any of the VC people I know spending more than 5 seconds on it.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Let's assume for the moment that the technology works - it improves the efficiency of an electric motor. We're talking about taking something that already has >90% efficiency and making it a little bit better. If it's only slightly more expensive than a conventional motor the payback time will still be a very, very long time. I don't see a business case.

12. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Granted, I'm just saying that it sounds like that generator thing that's been going around… that makes more power than it uses; black energy or some such nonsense, I just can remember the details.

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

14. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

That's the one!

15. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I'm not sure if that was the one I was thinking of, I just get these emails every now and then talking nonsense. The tone is a lot like his letter. They are usually accompanied by videos and they ask you to send $50 or something so you can learn how to build one for yourself giving you unlimited free power or some garbage like that. They are always laughable when you get to the details of them.