Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla had followed through on their original plan to have a DC version of the PW 2, then it would have worked fine with Pika and all the other hybrid inverters. In fact, we'd have full support right now for generators, offgrid use, TOU shifting and a whole host of other applications, as all the commercial hybrid inverters are designed to work with DC batteries.

But Tesla seems unwilling be a component - they want to own as much as possible of the solar setup. Which is fine if they actually supported all those uses...

You could look at Pika Energy's 380v islanding inverter. Probably just what you need because I'm looking for the same thing. In addition, another vendor was coming out with a 380v inverter, sma? solar edge? Can't remember. Anyway, Pika seems to have nailed the things I'd like. I'm just a year away unfortunately or fortunately as the case will turn out to be. Not many options but Pika is one of them. Oh, the only issue with them is that they can't use Sunpower panels (grounding issues).

That said, if Tesla is bundling up lots of the power electronics into the pw2 than my life might have become a bit easier to manage, combined with the new roofs it's a very compelling option for new builds.
Stay away from Pika Energy - talk about gouging customers. They have some nice ideas and some interesting concepts EXCEPT that they want 200% the Tesla price per KWH for their systems AND they will not sell it to an individual nor sell you the parts.

I have a Pika Islanding 7601 with two PV links installed last year. One of the PV Links wouldn’t work on install and I got all kinds of blame on me saying I somehow screwed it up. Pika refreshed the PV Link and still it didn’t work correctly as it kept going off-line (shutting off the feed from the Solar array). Finally, almost a month later, they authorized a replacement and it seems to work.

They will NOT sell me the 801C to interface a custom Lithium pack to their 7601 to allow it to do self-supply/island off grid. So I’m stuck with a big blue expensive inverter. I will gladly sell it to anyone and put in a MorningStar or Outback which at least are relatively open systems.

I'm completely off-grid on the big island as well. I was reading on the Tesla powerwall 2 specs sheet that it's a 50 volt internal battery? Everyone in this thread seems to think it's a high-voltage DC battery like the powerwall 1. I saw these $700 high voltage SolarCity inverters made by Delta basically for SolarCity / Tesla & the manual claims they are only compatible with Tesla powerwall 2. But that's confusing me because the powerwall 2 spec sheet clearly says 50 volts. All the specs on this SolarCity inverter seem to match quite well with the powerwall 1. For example the powerwall 2 apparently has its own solar charge controller and inverter so why would it need the SolarCity inverter? And the powerwall 1 is basically just a HV battery so it seems like the manual is in error when it states that it requires a powerwall 2. it must be a typo I bet they meant it needs a powerwall 1. I'm just thinking I'd really love to use the SolarCity inverter because it's so cheap and has a 7000w mppt charge controller in it as well. My valence lithium batteries can go up to 1,000v string. Sure maybe it won't charge my batteries from the generator but I can deal with that. Besides lithium like to be low so I won't feel like I need to start the generator every time my batteries are about to sit low all night. My question to you guys is can you clarify any of this entire thread now that the powerwall 2 has been out for so long?

Here's the manual for the discounted SolarCity inverter

Solar city manual H6 Hybrid Inverter_v1.1_02_03_17 release[22838].pdf

For example the powerwall 2 apparently has its own solar charge controller and inverter so why would it need the SolarCity inverter?
As far as I know there is no solar connection or solar charge controller in a PowerWall 2. The voltage if the internal battery is irrelevant since there is no external DC connection. It is AC coupled. The inverter in the PowerWall 2 controls the Grid tie inverter so that the solar connected to the GridTie inverter will produce power when the grid is down.

Last edited:
My two Powerwall 2 units have a gateway which to me seems like the automatic transfer switch essentially as it has three connections in it: Solar, Grid and Powerwall and Load (house). It takes care of where the Solar goes - either to the powerwall to charge or back to the grid or to the Load (house) depending on the house load. It will NOT charge the Powerwall 2 from the grid UNLESS there is a ‘Storm Watch’ event. This is the ONLY time the software will allow the Powerwall 2 to charge from the grid as far as I can tell.

Tesla has promised to have an off-grid software update but it seems the M3 interrupted any Powerwall work/updates.