Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Convince me to buy used from Tesla vs Dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been lurking here for a while trying to learn as much as I can. I wan to purchase a used S as I drive between 30 and 40 thousand miles a year. I don’t want to deal with the depreciation of a new vehicle with that many miles. Most people here say definitely buy used from Tesla. I have the following reasons not too and I’m happy to be convinced otherwise. I come with an open mind.

Reasons to buy from dealer or private party,

1, I can see the car
2, I know when I will receive the car
3 I’ve found the prices to be lower
4, I can negotiate on price with a real dealership
5 I still receive 8 year (from date of mfg ) warranty on battery
6 I believe I can buy an extended warranty, and even with that added in it seems less expensive than through Tesla

Based upon what I’ve read here everyone who has purchased used loves their car and hates the process.
I’m looking for a 2016 or 2017 85d or 90d. I want free supercharging and I under Stan that’s limited to early 17 depending on delivery date. I still can’t figure out how to tell if a car has xm radio.

I’m all ears on advice and looking forward to responses

Lawrence

• Informative
Reactions: Alset4S
There is no reason I can think of to buy from Tesla vs. a reputable dealer. The only thing you get from Tesla is warranty, but you can actually purchase 3rd party warranty as well, if that is important to you (search x-care on TMC, people discussing 3rd party warranties). I would also add "I can test drive a car" to your list - while Tesla will let you see the car for the $2,500 order payment (notice they renamed it so it's not called a deposit anymore, because deposit would imply you could get it back if you don't like the car), they will not let you drive it until you pay in full.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
All of the items you mention (1-5) are true. And mostly why I choose on my second Model S to buy from a used car dealer. Not aware of anyone that is offering an extended warranty for a Tesla. Be careful of extended warranties, they can be riddled with many exclusions. I don't know of any repair service center that will even work on a Tesla unless its for tires. You can usually get the vin number and run it through the local SC to see what type of repairs have been performed.

Tesla's used program has turned into some sort of a joke. You just have to roll the dice, because you can't get any info on the car other than a few pictures before you put down an 'order payment' which is non refundable.

Especially very important questions like battery degradation and max power will be big variables. While you can potentially get this information after putting down the payment if you ask persistently enough, if you don't like the answer you're simply out of luck and can't get your money back. You might be able to transfer your 'order payment' to another car, but definitely don't count on that.

And of course for stuff like interior/exterior condition of the car, you have to depend on the pictures Tesla has for the car, which is also extremely inconsistent, like with everything else Tesla.

This has recently gotten even worse since Tesla stopped "refurbishing" the cars so battery/interior-exterior condition is even more of a roll of the dice now. Add to this fact that Tesla in the last year has also gotten extremely selective about what the warranty applies to and what it doesn't (e.g. they used to take care of noise/creaking issues as part of the warranty, now they don't), and you've got yourself a completely unreliable program, and many examples of very bad experiences.

I think the best possible way to get a used Tesla is to get one from a non-Tesla dealer or a private party provided that the car still has a decent amount of warranty on it. For the dealer, this will max out at 4 years. For a private party, since they can buy the extended warranty, it can be quite a bit longer.

Sorry Tesla, I know you want to dictate your car's depreciation by holding a monopoly on the used market, but I also know you end up just losing money on your used program so you wanna put as few resources on it as possible. Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Either commit to having a good used program and make it better or just give it up and let some other company like Carvana and Vroom handle it.

I believe I can buy an extended warranty, and even with that added in it seems less expensive than through Tesla

You can't buy an extended warranty through Tesla for a car that was purchased from a dealer. There are other companies offering warranties for Teslas, though, and you could do that.

Be careful of extended warranties, they can be riddled with many exclusions.
Very true, that's why you always have to read the fine print. Then again, Tesla lawyers have recently taken a stance that if it doesn't directly affect safe operation of the car, it's excluded from the OEM warranty also, so same goes.

I don't know of any repair service center that will even work on a Tesla unless its for tires.
And because of that you have to only buy the 3rd party warranty which covers Tesla shop repairs.

I just bought a cpo model s and love it. Had few minor scratches on it but price was spectacular and having the full Tesla warranty is a real asset. They replaced my motor and axles already. I’m waiting on screen and the last original door handle to go any day as well. Wait a few more weeks when Tesla releases more cars and pounce on one. I’m buying a second I liked this one so much.

It must also be said that currently Tesla CPO prices are higher than they used to be. This is affecting the private market also. It might be a good idea to wait until it comes back down to buy any sort of used Tesla.

I wanted to add. Buying used direct from Tesla regardless of the year. You’ll get free supercharging for the life of the car (also transferable later)

I know many people have had bad experiences buying used from Tesla but for every bad story I know there are more good stories. I had a great experience and would hands down do it again. And likely will in the future.

In regards to the order payment. You have 3 days to change your mind and have the $ transferred to another vehicle of your choice.

She said "When you buy used from Tesla regardless of the year". We're not talking inventory cars on this thread, we're discussing used.
There are no inventory 2013-2017 that Tesla sells ...they are used and the free supercharging will follow the car ;)

I won’t split hairs on the “regardless” portion but there are used cars where free SC still applies

I wanted to add. Buying used direct from Tesla regardless of the year. You’ll get free supercharging for the life of the car (also transferable later)

I know many people have had bad experiences buying used from Tesla but for every bad story I know there are more good stories. I had a great experience and would hands down do it again. And likely will in the future.

In regards to the order payment. You have 3 days to change your mind and have the $ transferred to another vehicle of your choice.

You’re stating incorrect information. Free supercharging transfers no matter who you buy the car from, if the car has free SC for life. If the car doesn’t have free sc for life, you won’t get it even if you bought from Elon himself.

@Candyman - I just bought a 2016 MS 75D from Tesla and absolutely love it! Other than a couple of scratches ((most of which can be buffed out), the car is in pristine condition. Would I do the same thing again? Absolutely yes.

I have to agree with most of your points a d agree to disagree with one or two

"1. I can see the car" - Correct

"2. I know when I will receive the car "- Correct, however this was not such a big deal to me personally as I was given a 2 week timeframe. This bothers some folks and not others

"3. I’ve found the prices to be lower" - I watched the inventory for two months on Tesla Canada's site and noticed that the prices drop on a daily basis. So you can get a cheaper car from Tesla with a warranty.

"4. I can negotiate on price with a real dealership." Correct, however when the prices drop enough and you're lucky to snap one up, there's no reason to negotiate anyway.

"5.I still receive 8 year (from date of mfg ) warranty on battery". True for any used Tesla

"6. I believe I can buy an extended warranty, and even with that added in it seems less expensive than through Tesla". I can't comment on this as no company in Canada offers a warranty on Tesla's other than Lubrico and even that is only available from one dealer in Canada.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
I just got my 90D from current automotive in illinois. Amazing buying experience. I'm happy I didn't buy through Tesla, all of the horror stories and inconsistent pricing scared me away. I would say if possible try to buy from a dealer that at least understands the car. I'm currently working on getting the car into my app and Tesla told me by today. I hope that is correct. Loving the car though!

• Helpful
Reactions: darxsys and P85_DA
I would not buy a Tesla from anyone other than Tesla. I want a Tesla warranty, not some 3rd party fabrication. I want all TSBs to have been applied to the vehicle. I want the vehicle to have passed Tesla's battery and other diagnostics.
If you have a good 3rd party warranty, it pays Tesla to perform the repairs. To you, no difference. Actually, if you think about it, Tesla makes money on every repair through 3rd party warranty, but loses money on every repair through their own warranty, so are more likely to avoid replacing things on Tesla warranty.