Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cool Low Ride Height WhenParked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S really looks best when situated as low as possible. However, with air suspension the car holds the height applicable when the car was parked. In my case this usually means high or very high.

It would be nice if the car could be set to go to a low level when it shuts down at a specific place as determined by GPS, then return to standard, high, or very high when starting up.

The details would need to be worked out, but it ought to work.

This has been suggested before, without resolution.

Reactions: CaliMS
One detail to be worked out is how the car should behave when you park with the bumper overhanging a concrete curb, then the suspension lowers onto the curb. I seem to recall reports a few years ago of folks tearing off their bumpers that way, which is why Tesla changed up the suspension settings (the old Low was removed, and the old Standard is the new Low, old High is new Standard, etc.)

This problem could be avoided.

Today the suspension default setting is to retain the setting when the car is placed in Park. So if you set the car in Park and you are in very high, the car stays in very high. That is an effective solution to avoid damage from dropping down on a high curb.

I would change that so that the driver could specify a "Park-only" height at a specific location, and GPS would retain it at that location for parking only. For example, under the present firmware solution, if I have to go to very high to pass through a deep driveway dip, and then park the car in the open 100 feet away with no curbs, the car will stay in very high. I would change that--for Park only,--to set the parked height manually to low, which would then be retained by GPS as the Park-only setting for that location. Then, when I return, start the car and move the gearshift out of Park, the height would automatically default back to its last moving default level, which was in the example was very high, so I could go through the deep driveway dip without scraping.

This "Park-only" setting would be set manually only, and I wouldn't expect to use it except at a few locations that I visit often. Without action by the driver, the present detault solution would remain.

I would make the low setting automatic, but only at specific locations after being manually set one time at a that location. That is the way the high settings currently work, and using this procedure would allow the owner to be sure the car didn't drop down on any curbs.

Last edited:
Model S really looks best when situated as low as possible. However, with air suspension the car holds the height applicable when the car was parked. In my case this usually means high or very high.

It would be nice if the car could be set to go to a low level when it shuts down at a specific place as determined by GPS, then return to standard, high, or very high when starting up.

The details would need to be worked out, but it ought to work.

This has been suggested before, without resolution.

When I park I always manually set the air suspension to low, but I never park over a curb or a low potrusion front or rear.

Reactions: OnePunchman