Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cornering lights only for low beam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered without PUP. The feature I am most afraid I will miss is the cornering lights. Now I see Bjørn Nyland testing the car, and from 14:00 in this video
he demonstrates the cornering lights. He says nothing happens when high beams are on, but with low beams a little bit extra light shows up when turning the wheel. Is it really just this? Doesn´t even the old S have something similar? Maybe the X lights move and the S lights are just on or off. (The facelift S should have the same as the X)

The new MS description includes “full LED adaptive headlamps...14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights”, not noted on the MX page but AFS is detailed in the MX manual. AFS is not active when the car is not moving so somebody more equipped than I may be able to get pictures.
When not moving, turning the steering wheel does activate some additonal lighting. In the top porton of the headlights (red oval) there is a set of three LED clusters which illuminate in succession as the wheel is turned.
whole light.jpeg

corner lights.jpeg

Reactions: retinaguy
Just went for a drive with a passenger watching the 17” screen with the Doors control view. The cartoon car lights turn on and off as this upper bank of lights turn on and off. When the turn signal is active the whole bank is lit on one side and the cartoon shows both turn signal and cornering lights lit. When the wheel is turned the cornering lights turn on and off sequentially in three sections as in the pictures and video above; the cartoon does not show the three sections but reflects when the real lights are either all off or at least the first section is on. We have some lumpy roads here (ok, lots of lumpy roads) and when the car pitches both sides turn on briefly on the cartoon but I do not appreciate any change in the road illumination. I tried to reproduce a persistent change in the bilateral illumination by driving up and down a steep grade but the results were variable on the screen and imperceptible on the road.

Highbeams and fog lights are two conflicting technologies. Highbeams (by their name) imply the beam is directed higher than normal (right into oncoming drivers eyes). This higher and more intense beam is really bad in fog and snow. Fog light not only have a amber or yellow color so they are not as intense, but the beam is very low and flat.