TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cornering lights (video & pictures)

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brianman, Aug 4, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#1 brianman, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I think these are the cornering lights. I don't think we've posted a video with them yet, so here goes. For those wondering, the clicking is something rattling around in my car (like a roll of mints); I wasn't planning on a curvy road adventure (pleasant surprise!).

26 seconds into the video, or 21:20:42 if you're following the clock in the video itself

Off

CorneringLightsOff.png

On

CorneringLightsOn.png

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Random anecdote:

Relayed to me be my instructor from the track worker at point (and later asked directly by him), "When you're coming out of turn 12, I noticed a light on your right side come on. Is that a turn signal or some-such? I've never seen it before."

It took me a minute for it to click, and respond:
    "It's the cornering lights."
    "We've only see it on the right side of your car."
    "The track goes clockwise. And I guess the left turns don't trigger it near turn stations as clearly as for turn 12."

3. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Hehe... that's rather funny.

Upside: the left side will never burn out.

4. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

The cornering lights do come on with great frequency. They're actually pretty useful. My first big drive with the vehicle was a dark, curvy back road near the factory and the lights were very helpful.

Also, I found updating your 2 year old thread with a new anecdote hilarious. "Why is brianman posting a video of the cornering lights. Surely someone else has posted pictures/video of the cornering lights by now... oh."

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I found it amusing that when I search for "cornering lights" apparently it's one of the features least talked about on TMC. :)

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Truly, unsung heroes, I guess. :biggrin:

7. Zextraterrestrial

they should run the track in reverse for both your tires and cornering lights

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Heh.

9. tstafford

tstafford Member

I've never noticed anything discernible with respect to the cornering lights. Seems like a waste IMHO.

10. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

I think that some of the best features are the ones that assist you so subtly that you don't notice. If you only drive in areas with a lot of ambient light, the cornering lights aren't very noticeable. However, even if you don't notice the cornering lights, they sure do help when you drive on a dark windy road!

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I was coming to write how both cornering lights turn on constantly in reverse, but I like your version better! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! When I visited family in a rural area without ambient light, the cornering lights were amazing!

12. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Where I live, small animals and dark sides of the road are not uncommon. Cornering lights are appreciated...

13. Zybane

Zybane Member

Headlights that actually turn would be about 1,489,110 times better than a little corner light that illuminates about five feet.