Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All these morons claiming this was 'unforeseen' and 'couldn't be predicted' is truly pathetic. Much like the idiotic quip that 'no one knew healthcare was so hard'.....

~5 years ago. PLUS the orange bigots staff was FULLY briefed on pandemics. Most of that staff has been fired for lack of blind faith in dear leader but still......

Lol, Bush warned 9 years earlier. Guess Obama didn’t get the memo from his staff.

Tuberculosis vaccine, BCG seems to correlate well with lower rates of infection and lower mortality. Many immigrants to the US may have had a BCG vaccine at birth or childhood. Countries like the US, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands have never required universal BCG vaccine, and those countries have had some of the highest rates of infections and mortality.

Just look at some country pairs that are close demographically and geographically but different on BCG status, like Ireland-UK, Portugal-Spain, Norway-Sweden, and the results are quite intriguing. The first country in each of the 3 pairs has universal BCG vaccine, while the 2nd country in the 3 pairs does not. In each pairing the mortality rates are multiples lower.
Screenshot 2020-04-10 14.05.23.jpg

Tuberculosis vaccine, BCG seems to correlate well with lower rates of infection and lower mortality. Many immigrants to the US may have had a BCG vaccine at birth or childhood. Countries like the US, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands have never required universal BCG vaccine, and those countries have had some of the highest rates of infections and mortality.

Just look at some country pairs that are close demographically and geographically but different on BCG status, like Ireland-UK, Portugal-Spain, Norway-Sweden, and the results are quite intriguing. The first country in each of the 3 pairs has universal BCG vaccine, while the 2nd country in the 3 pairs does not. In each pairing the mortality rates are multiples lower.
View attachment 531169

Yes. I've had a BCG vaccine at birth or childhood. Not sure how long immunity lasts and the neg. has been chest xray requirements vs PPD skin tests. I hope this correlation is clinically significant

BCG: How a 100-year-old vaccine for tuberculosis could help fight Covid-19 - CNN

On a side note I've wondered why they don't vaccinate everyone here in US. Parts of US have had TB outbreaks

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy and KenC
Pledge makes an antibacterial all surface spray that I spray into a microfiber and wipe the screen but I have a screen protector on it. Also I can’t speak as to if it’s effective against the virus, I’ve been using it since before the pandemic.

As a microbiologist, we have the saying, "If it dries, it dies." Bacteria and viruses die when they dry.

Of course, if one were to spit a glob of sputum onto your dashboard, the various viruses would live for a while. Until they dry.

Also, if someone sprays you with droplets and you lick them off, there is a chance you will get infected, assuming they are a carrier, but that's why they want you to wash your hands. If you breathe in just after someone sneezes in your face, well, you'll likely get infected. That's what masks are about, but anyone keeping 6' distance will be unlikely to get moist spray on them. Even then, not everyone who gets infected gets sick. That's why the 6' rule. If it dries, it dies.

All this silliness about wiping down your car, your MCU, your door knobs, etc, is pretty much useless, unless you just need to feel good about yourselves.

If it dries, it dies.

Yes. I've had a BCG vaccine at birth or childhood. Not sure how long immunity lasts and the neg. has been chest xray requirements vs PPD skin tests. I hope this correlation is clinically significant

BCG: How a 100-year-old vaccine for tuberculosis could help fight Covid-19 - CNN

On a side note I've wondered why they don't vaccinate everyone here in US. Parts of US have had TB outbreaks
Supposedly it works for ~20yrs, against TB, but the idea is that it revs up the immune system so that it's better at combating Covid-19. Harvard Med and Mass General are doing a 4000 person study, so we'll find out in a few months. I hope they test different strains of BCG, because the Japanese/Russian/Brazil version is an older strain and seems to be particularly promising. The Denmark strain seems to be not as effective. The countries I listed are countries of manufacture, but are used widely by other countries. Most european countries use the Denmark strain, that sort of thing. My birth country used the Japanese-made strain.

Supposedly it works for ~20yrs, against TB, but the idea is that it revs up the immune system so that it's better at combating Covid-19. Harvard Med and Mass General are doing a 4000 person study, so we'll find out in a few months. I hope they test different strains of BCG, because the Japanese/Russian/Brazil version is an older strain and seems to be particularly promising. The Denmark strain seems to be not as effective. The countries I listed are countries of manufacture, but are used widely by other countries. Most european countries use the Denmark strain, that sort of thing. My birth country used the Japanese-made strain.

hmm I have to see what India uses.

As a microbiologist, we have the saying, "If it dries, it dies." Bacteria and viruses die when they dry.

Of course, if one were to spit a glob of sputum onto your dashboard, the various viruses would live for a while. Until they dry.

Also, if someone sprays you with droplets and you lick them off, there is a chance you will get infected, assuming they are a carrier, but that's why they want you to wash your hands. If you breathe in just after someone sneezes in your face, well, you'll likely get infected. That's what masks are about, but anyone keeping 6' distance will be unlikely to get moist spray on them. Even then, not everyone who gets infected gets sick. That's why the 6' rule. If it dries, it dies.

All this silliness about wiping down your car, your MCU, your door knobs, etc, is pretty much useless, unless you just need to feel good about yourselves.

If it dries, it dies.

good points about overdoing it with wipes. What do you think about studies showing it spreads by talking?

using a surgical mask for self-protection from that (if used correctly)

If it dries, it dies.

If it dries, it dies.

Interesting. But I don’t think I was being paranoid when I posted this, long before the UK and the world went into lockdown. After all, the BBC still reports that the virus may live on hard surfaces for several days: Covid-19: How long does the coronavirus last on surfaces?

That’s the BBC, not Fox News. Arguably the most reliable and impartial news source in the world?

But I take your point that we may all be taking this disinfecting stuff a bit too far. Thank you. It’s a bit moot now anyway given that I can’t really drive anywhere these days!

All these morons claiming this was 'unforeseen' and 'couldn't be predicted' is truly pathetic. Much like the idiotic quip that 'no one knew healthcare was so hard'.....

~5 years ago. PLUS the orange bigots staff was FULLY briefed on pandemics. Most of that staff has been fired for lack of blind faith in dear leader but still......

5 years ago is a long time ago.
At my work we have to do safety training modules every year.

According to the map I have, India uses multiple BCG strains, so you can't tell. Of course, the map is only for 2003 to 2007, but gives some idea. There are country pages, at: BCG Wold Atlas
View attachment 531754

hoping multiple BCG strains= cocktail? I got mine in the 70s

India
Last updated in 2011
Region
South Asia
TB Incidence (per 100 000 per year) * † 217
TB Incidence (Count) * ‡ 2840000
Income group (World Bank) Lower middle income
Current BCG vaccination? Yes
BCG Recommendation Type Current national BCG vaccination policy for all
Which year was vaccination introduced? 1948
Timing of 1st BCG? At birth
Multiple BCG? No
Multiple BCG in the past? No
BCG Strain BCGVL Chennai strain, BCG laboratory Guindy, Chennai, India
Is TST done post BCG? No
Year of BCG coverage estimate 2006
BCG coverage (%) 99%
Year of changes to BCG schedule 1948, 1949, 1951, 1978 & 1985
Details of changes 1948: BCG intro as pilot project, 1949: Immunization program in schools, 51-59 Mass immunization campaigns. 1978: extended program of immunization to be given at birth or within 1st mo, 1985: universal immunization program BCG vaccine policy continued as earlier
Are there special groups that receive BCG? No
Datasource Questionnaire

Reactions: KenC
Status
Not open for further replies.