Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to clean the touchscreen with something like Dettol or antiseptic skin wipes? I usually just use the supplied microfibre cloth slightly dampened. But with all the official advice about the C-19 virus, was thinking it may now be time to take greater precautions to help prevent the spread of this wretched disease that’s causing so much havoc. Thanks. Mark

I should add, the manual says:

Touchscreen
Clean the touchscreen using a soft lint-free cloth specifically designed to clean monitors and displays. Do not use cleaners (such as a glass cleaner) and do not use a wet wipe or a dry statically-charged cloth (such as a recently washed microfiber). To wipe the touchscreen without activating buttons and changing settings, you can enable Screen Clean Mode. Touch Controls > Display > Screen Clean Mode. The display darkens to make it easy to see dust and smudges. To exit Screen Clean Mode, press and hold HOLD TO EXIT.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Sorry its a slow day for me, but I think my car is
the safest place, not many strangers messing
with my display. I would think steering wheel and
seat belt would be also things to clean, Maybe a UV
light or get your car a ozone treatment one a month.

Like others have said, best part about having a screen protector. Clean it with whatever you want with no worries.

Outside of me, my wife and the kids, no one else is touching the screen so I really don’t think about it. I just use the microfiber cloth.

Like others have said, best part about having a screen protector. Clean it with whatever you want with no worries.

Outside of me, my wife and the kids, no one else is touching the screen so I really don’t think about it. I just use the microfiber cloth.

having a screen protector is also important for physical damage. there was a thread where someone cracked it with their phone

Reactions: BeeGood
Alcohol can work well on some surfaces. On others, it can remove paint and etch plastics. It should be just fine for use on a touchscreen. I would make sure it's diluted (70% should be good) to be on the safe side, but be very careful with it on other surfaces.

I've had good luck with gently wiping only the surfaces I touch with standard disinfectant wipes. So far it has been ok.

This is a great article to read.
Coronavirus: How to disinfect and clean your car without ruining the interior

If you do have any etched plastic, I've heard quite a few recommend trying Meguiars PlastX but I haven't used it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: RedModel3
having a screen protector is also important for physical damage. there was a thread where someone cracked it with their phone

That was definitely the original reason I bought it. I have kids ranging from 5-17 and they like being in the front, so a $15 insurance policy against scratches and shattering was the first thing I got.

But being able to wipe it with anything is definitely an underrated benefit. I wouldn’t want to wipe the screen with an abrasive chemical, but if I mess up the screen protector, I’ll trash it and get another one.

Reactions: vickh
The Kinsa temperature map looks better today (top) than when I last downloaded it Friday night (bottom).

Florida still looks bad but the rest of the South, the Atlantic coast to New England, Michigan and Indiana, as well as the Pacific Northwest all appear to be improving -- less red and orange and less atypical temperatures overall (less yellow/more dark gray).

Only two datapoints, and who knows how well this data correlates with actual Covid-19 cases, but worth keeping an eye on.

TemperatureMap032320.png
TemperatureMap032020 (2).png

Reactions: KenC
The Kinsa temperature map looks better today (top) than when I last downloaded it Friday night (bottom).

Florida still looks bad but the rest of the South, the Atlantic coast to New England, Michigan and Indiana, as well as the Pacific Northwest all appear to be improving -- less red and orange and less atypical temperatures overall (less yellow/more dark gray).

Only two datapoints, and who knows how well this data correlates with actual Covid-19 cases, but worth keeping an eye on.

View attachment 524649 View attachment 524650
You'd think the hotspots like Seattle, SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston would be bright red, but they're not. So, not enough Kinsa thermometers out there. I mean, Seattle, SF and Boston are showing "none" atypical illness levels.

You'd think the hotspots like Seattle, SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston would be bright red, but they're not. So, not enough Kinsa thermometers out there. I mean, Seattle, SF and Boston are showing "none" atypical illness levels.

Confirmed cases in many places that showed up as "hot" on the map (Florida, New York, Michigan, etc.) seem to be increasing, while confirmed cases in California (which isn't "hot" on the map) are not.

Of course, without consistent testing it is hard to put much credence in any of the numbers, and anecdotally at least some parts of the SF Bay Area recently dialed back testing out of concerns that positive tests might lead healthier patients to take up hospital beds. Obviously New York ramped up its testing significantly.

On the other hand, fatalities in California remain relatively low while picking up in other parts of the country.

US Coronavirus cases 032320.png

United States Coronavirus: 41,569 Cases and 504 Deaths - Worldometer

Reactions: KenC
All these morons claiming this was 'unforeseen' and 'couldn't be predicted' is truly pathetic. Much like the idiotic quip that 'no one knew healthcare was so hard'.....

~5 years ago. PLUS the orange bigots staff was FULLY briefed on pandemics. Most of that staff has been fired for lack of blind faith in dear leader but still......

Status
Not open for further replies.