Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corrective steering applied, off road detected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y keeps giving me the "Corrective steering applied, off road detected" (or something very similar) error/alarm. I am going less than 25mph, in parking lots, or on residential streets when this happens. I don't feel anything in the steering. It usually scares the crap out of me and I come to a stop. Is this something others are experiencing, or should I ask for service?

Reactions: Falcon73 and voxel
My model Y keeps giving me the "Corrective steering applied, off road detected" (or something very similar) error/alarm. I am going less than 25mph, in parking lots, or on residential streets when this happens. I don't feel anything in the steering. It usually scares the crap out of me and I come to a stop. Is this something others are experiencing, or should I ask for service?
I had this happen to me twice last weekend while merging on to the freeway in a construction zone...like Vision can't see the temporary lines or something. Also dinged my safety score. 😡

Reactions: Falcon73
Yep twice in the last week. Once in an mall parking lot and another at Disneyworld parking lot... both times it was nearly empty and nearing a turn in an unusual area. You might be able to completely disable the warning... I lowered it to WARNING from CORRECTIVE(?). There's one lower option.

Still fewer than I had with my previous EV (ID.4) on a weekly basis.

Reactions: DarthStar
I had this happen to me twice last weekend while merging on to the freeway in a construction zone...like Vision can't see the temporary lines or something. Also dinged my safety score. 😡
Dinged your score? I assume the ding was recorded as "Forward collision warning," which surprises me if the "corrective steering" warning is for lane departure, no other car required. The description for Forward Collision Warning speaks only of being in danger of hitting a car in front of you. Are the audible warnings different for lane departure and collision warning, or not? Anyone know?

Mine happens randomly, within the first 1/10 mile after start-up, no matter when/where I'm driving.

Also, the "emergency braking" warning chime only happens once per drive, no matter how late I brake for stopped traffic.

This has been happening since the last two software updates.

I get random warnings to "take control of my vehicle" while I am driving within my lane and with my hands on the steering wheel. Yes, these warnings scare the crap out of me because I'm just driving in a straight line. Should we be contacting service?

I get random warnings to "take control of my vehicle" while I am driving within my lane and with my hands on the steering wheel. Yes, these warnings scare the crap out of me because I'm just driving in a straight line. Should we be contacting service?
Same here. Only started recently. No real reason for it when it happens.

Could this have something to do with the latest update I downloaded a week or so ago?

Just had "Corrective steering applied, off road detected" happen for the first time last night. I was driving on the left lane on a parkway and this short stretch has multiple gutters on the side, but on the lane. I tried to hug the right side as much as I can and got this warning. Not the first time I drove on this lane.

The algorithms must be for nice, well kept CA roads or something.
Around here in PA where the water company is tearing up the side of just about every roads digging trenches and filling them my MY always thinks I'm over the line, but its looking at the wrong line. Plus, half our roads don't have lines since they are just old cow paths paved over to an increasingly poor degree over 100 years. The MY doesn't like those either. We need an "east coast crappy roads" patch.

The algorithms must be for nice, well kept CA roads or something.
Around here in PA where the water company is tearing up the side of just about every roads digging trenches and filling them my MY always thinks I'm over the line, but its looking at the wrong line. Plus, half our roads don't have lines since they are just old cow paths paved over to an increasingly poor degree over 100 years. The MY doesn't like those either. We need an "east coast crappy roads" patch.
Well-kept California roads? Let me know where they are as I don't see them. 😅

I have this warning a lot around Cabazon when heading to the Desert with all the construction going on there. It has been quite annoying.

I think it's made for two-lane divided highways in good condition that have no construction going on.

As for my safety score, I have no idea how to check it, but the car isn't helping on all the torn up roads, lol.