Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost 50 extra miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Teams.

Google shows my trip only has 80 miles; but after the trip, my car cost 130 miles. There is around 50 extra miles I used. I used FSD almost all time and AC. Is it normal? Does my battery has an issue? Thank you.

Hey Teams.

Google shows my trip only has 80 miles; but after the trip, my car cost 130 miles. There is around 50 extra miles I used. I used FSD almost all time and AC. Is it normal? Does my battery has an issue? Thank you.
People have been asking this for many years. People somehow seem to think that the rated miles in the display should always = real distance miles under all conditions--45 mph or 95 mph or whatever. It's not like that. Those "rated miles" on the display are for the specific EPA test conditions, which are pretty granny-like. You can match it if you drive about 55 mph and use NO heating or air conditioning. There are not many people who drive like that to match those conditions most of the time. So that number is always ballpark higher than that your real driving distance is.

And you do need to remember that the battery doesn't just provide "miles". All of the energy of the car use has to come from that one source. So that's miles + air conditioning. Gas cars are horribly inefficient and are already busy blowing two thirds of the energy of the gasoline out the tailpipe and radiator to desperately prevent melting themselves down. So extra loads like the air conditioner are usually not too noticeable. But electric cars are so efficient--like 80-90%--that some extra drag and inefficiencies will show up more noticeably.

Hey Teams.

It is just a relative gauge to guess how full the "tank" is. It has no idea how far you can go. Personally, I have mine set to display energy (0-100%). Much easier to understand and follow. If you need to know estimated range, use the energy graph. Its estimate is based upon your actual driving over the last 5, 15 or 30 miles. Wait for it to get cold, it will be much further off.

Last edited:
You can look at your energy usage as you drive and also touch the "Trip" tab (next to Consumption) so you can lower your speed/ac temp, etc. to hit exactly what the predicted range was.

jqae4vxe35331.jpg