Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost analysis for MYLR and MYAWD for those looking to order inventory MYAWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching Youtube videos on road trips with MYAWD (4680) and MYLR (2170). On average looks like both MYAWD and MYLR are getting about 3.3mi/kWh.
Useable battery: MYAWD = 67kWh; MYLR = 75kWh
Mileage on 100% charge: MYAWD = 221mi; MYLR = 248mi
Let's assume using 70% of battery between supercharging (charging between 20% to 90%) on highway
Practical highway driving mile: MYAWD = 155mi; MYLR = 174mi

On the paper 279mi vs. 330mi is big difference between MYAWD and MYLR, but in practical highway driving the real difference is as low as 19 to 20mi. If you are only driving in town, range difference MYAWD vs. MYLR should not matter. The real world difference on highway driving is not 50mi that we see on EPA est. It should be more like 20 mi.

Right now if you can get an inventory base MYAWD with 19" wheels, it's $4,000 cheaper than MYLR. For those who are not doing much road trips, the longer range benefit of LR may not be worth the wait, price difference, and possibly foregoing half of tax credit after March

I've been watching Youtube videos on road trips with MYAWD (4680) and MYLR (2170). On average looks like both MYAWD and MYLR are getting about 3.3mi/kWh.
Let's assume using 70% of battery between supercharging (charging between 20% to 90%) on highway

On the paper 279mi vs. 330mi is big difference between MYAWD and MYLR, but in practical highway driving the real difference is as low as 19 to 20mi. If you are only driving in town, range difference MYAWD vs. MYLR should not matter. The real world difference on highway driving is not 50mi that we see on EPA est. It should be more like 20 mi.

Right now if you can get an inventory base MYAWD with 19" wheels, it's $4,000 cheaper than MYLR. For those who are not doing much road trips, the longer range benefit of LR may not be worth the wait, price difference, and possibly foregoing half of tax credit after March
Not only that I think the MYAWD drives much better, it may be a tick slower in acceleration but it feels much more solid and tight while providing a better ride and much quieter interior

Seen a bunch of Austin built units at the long beach store, 2/14 build dates delivered there on 2/27 so 13 days from factory assembly line to the store in SoCal, have seen similar people post about 12 to 15 days from build date, if you get the build date from SA or the 510 number you have a better idea on delivery date. Maybe?

It might seem counter intuitive but charging more often and only up to 70% is faster, stopping 8 times vs. say 6 times could save an hour or more on your trip, assuming you have enough SC stations to make that happen, When I was road tripping in my 3 i would try 10% to 70% sometimes arriving in the single digits, I know its not the best for the battery but the stops were so fast!

Not only that I think the MYAWD drives much better, it may be a tick slower in acceleration but it feels much more solid and tight while providing a better ride and much quieter interior
That's very interesting. I only test drove MYLR, would be cool to feel the difference that you mentioned. If people can really notice this difference in ride quality in MYAWD, I think it's well worth the $3000~$4000 cheaper price on MYAWD vs. MYLR

It might seem counter intuitive but charging more often and only up to 70% is faster, stopping 8 times vs. say 6 times could save an hour or more on your trip, assuming you have enough SC stations to make that happen, When I was road tripping in my 3 i would try 10% to 70% sometimes arriving in the single digits, I know its not the best for the battery but the stops were so fast!
charging the car from 10% to 70% for faster charging at each supercharging stop will make range difference between MYAWD and MYLR during road trip even more insignificant!

Seen a bunch of Austin built units at the long beach store, 2/14 build dates delivered there on 2/27 so 13 days from factory assembly line to the store in SoCal, have seen similar people post about 12 to 15 days from build date, if you get the build date from SA or the 510 number you have a better idea on delivery date. Maybe?
If this is true, my delivery date should be around 3/4 since waitingfortesla.com showed 2/18 build date. I will check with SA and see if there's any update

Are there any reviews from anyone who has driven the MYAWD for at least a week or two? I'm very curious about the ride (a couple of posts suggested it may be better than MYLR) and the actual range, at least based on short experience.

So does anyone have both MYAWD+LR for a real world comparison review. I'm still debating b/t the two. \

To make matters more interesting AZ charges a VL Tax every year for MSRP so it makes the LR higher every year of ownership as well.