Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost estimate?

hpartsch

Member
Aug 6, 2014
662
473
wa
Well a girl tried to make what appeared to be a illegal U turn -- and didn't see me. Curious to see if my car is going to be totaled or the estimated cost of repair based on people's experience. Going to take it to Service King (closest Tesla authorized shop) Thoughts? The hood's corner is bent, so it will need replaced I'm guessing. Front Bumper for sure. And there are scratches on the passenger door. Luckily my car was pretty dirty so it was easy to see where she made contact. And by the way -- everyone was safe :). And my dashcam worked perfectly :). I was going about about 30 mph. Fortunately, I added the rental coverage to my policy and USAA said there is no time limits (it goes by my policy limit). So, if the repair takes 3 months this time -- at least I got a car.

Btw, car is a 2013 S 85 with around 47k miles on it.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_0103.jpg
    DSC_0103.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC_0104.jpg
    DSC_0104.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    DSC_0106.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0108.jpg
    DSC_0108.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0109.jpg
    DSC_0109.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: DC Autocraft

David.85D

Active Member
Oct 29, 2016
1,553
1,334
USA
Looks like an external ezpass

I’ll guess replace and paint bumper cover and fender. Replace headlight. $2500-$3000. I don’t see damage to hood or other panels.

Might be some hidden damage revealed on disassembly. Definitely needs an alignment check.

Far from a total.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: hpartsch

whitex

Well-Known Member
Sep 30, 2015
6,825
8,671
Seattle area, WA
No airbags, it was driveable -- though the plastic wheel piece is hitting the tire and making a not so nice sound when turning.
I would not count on a total - it won't even be close. My guess it will be less than $10K. You may have to wait a week or two to find out as Service King is the sole Tesla approved shop in the area and chances are there are car ahead of you in the queue.
 

hpartsch

Member
Aug 6, 2014
662
473
wa
Curious, is this cracked piece of metal part of the bumper or frame?

Interestingly, there is a 3 month wait at the shop before anyone even works on it (about 30 Teslas in line before me and only 1 Tesla tech). All of the Service King locations closer to me don't do Tesla structural damage. This is unfortunate that Tesla doesn't list the abilities of the shops as I almost had it towed to the Tacoma Service King location. Also a bit unfortunate the wait is so long -- clearly Tesla needs more authorized body shops (capable of "structural damage repairs") in the Tacoma/Seattle area.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0121.JPG
    DSC_0121.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

David.85D

Active Member
Oct 29, 2016
1,553
1,334
USA
Still not clear to me. I’m leaning to the louvre assembly. In either case, there is clearly damage under the outer panels so the repair s and costs will be higher than my first guess.

Good luck. Sorry to hear the queue is so long
 

whitex

Well-Known Member
Sep 30, 2015
6,825
8,671
Seattle area, WA
Curious, is this cracked piece of metal part of the bumper or frame?

Interestingly, there is a 3 month wait at the shop before anyone even works on it (about 30 Teslas in line before me and only 1 Tesla tech). All of the Service King locations closer to me don't do Tesla structural damage. This is unfortunate that Tesla doesn't list the abilities of the shops as I almost had it towed to the Tacoma Service King location. Also a bit unfortunate the wait is so long -- clearly Tesla needs more authorized body shops (capable of "structural damage repairs") in the Tacoma/Seattle area.
Ouch! 3 months. My wife's MS just went through there a month and half ago and the wait was less than 3 weeks! Our car ended up totaled, but had to wait in line to get the accurate estimate. IIRC there was 5 Tesla's ahead of us.
 

hpartsch

Member
Aug 6, 2014
662
473
wa
Well, it's not totaled, est 10k. Getting the parts from Tesla is now the issue... Parts were ordered on March 29th and the eta for all of them was March 16th. Only a few (25%) of the parts came in and the body shop will not start the work until all are received. Granted it's only the 15th -- but I doubt the remaining 75% are going to magically appear anytime soon.

The body shop has been excellent with communication. However, the body shop advocate member I'm working with seems to be mostly copying and pasting emails. She is not able to track the parts without reaching out to the parts department... Which for the last week has had "some system issues" as the parts department (according to the body shop support advocate) isn't even able to track the parts "data"...

Btw, the dash cam was awesome. My insurance quickly determined it wasn't my fault and Allstate did the same (though a tad slower).
 
Last edited:

whitex

Well-Known Member
Sep 30, 2015
6,825
8,671
Seattle area, WA
Well, it's not totaled, est 10k. Getting the parts from Tesla is now the issue... Parts were ordered on March 29th and the eta for all of them was March 16th. Only a few (25%) of the parts came in and the body shop will not start the work until all are received. Granted it's only the 15th -- but I doubt the remaining 75% are going to magically appear anytime soon.

The body shop has been excellent with communication. However, the body shop advocate member I'm working with seems to be mostly copying and pasting emails. She is not able to track the parts without reaching out to the parts department... Which for the last week has had "some system issues" as the parts department (according to the body shop support advocate) isn't even able to track the parts "data"...

Btw, the dash cam was awesome. My insurance quickly determined it wasn't my fault and Allstate did the same (though a tad slower).
Look on the bright side, at least it didn't take 3 months to estimate. You'll likely get it back sooner than if you ordered new (June) too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: hpartsch

hpartsch

Member
Aug 6, 2014
662
473
wa
Look on the bright side, at least it didn't take 3 months to estimate. You'll likely get it back sooner than if you ordered new (June) too.
Yeah, hopefully so. It sucks driving the ICE rental cars I've gotten so far. Really makes me miss my car. However, at the same time -- I can't say I'd buy any aluminum car/Model S again due to the difficulty getting parts, high repair costs, and overall repair process. Maybe with the model 3 many of these issues will be alleviated. It will be interesting to see what the new model 3 owners experience with accidents.
 

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top