Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costa Mesa Delivery Experience P3D Aug 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I picked my LR RWD in early June and actually had a round of applause from workers and people visiting as I left the garage. I guess the increase in deliveries from July and beyond has impacted them

I had the exiting ovation as well but for some reason it felt forced, like a "yay, you're leaving"

strange - i had the cable in the center console and the bracket in the trunk...

i'd follow up and see if you can pick those up.

Same here. Cable in middle armrest and bracket in trunk. Wish I had the surprise of a diecast model 3 like the early LR adopters.....

I wonder how many cars Tesla is delivering with defects and people are just letting it go due to the excitement. I want Tesla to succeed. However, they need to have better quality control in order to thrive as the top EV manufacturer when the established premium brands have EV vehicles and charging infrastructure similar to Tesla’s. In the meantime I will do my part and buy my 3 AWD, but I am not going to put up with defects in a 63k$ car, and no one should. This is a way to help Tesla to succeed.

Unfortunately too many. The average consumer doesn't perform a thorough inspection. I have helped my friend inspect his assigned RWD car twice and have my order in for AWD/Red/19"/White Interior. I will hold my car to the same inspection standards and will not be afraid to reject over and over again until they get it right. I really believe in Tesla and believe they will succeed. By holding them to high standards, I feel I am doing my part in helping Tesla become a better company.

Took delivery of my solid black P3D without performance upgrade today. It is a July 2018 build VIN 71xxx. Wait wasn't too bad. Car pulled up only 20 minutes after my scheduled time.
My SIL has a OBM model 3 on order. He went by the Costa Mesa Delivery Center about 1pm today to see if they had maybe a model S/X in OBM to look at. He said the place was a mad house - not even standing room. He said a nice employee asked him if he was there to pick up a car and he said no, he just wanted to see OBM. Employee looked at his computer and said no got today in any model. My SIL left after about 10 minutes, just too much chaos. From what he saw, it appears they are delivering about 20 or more per hour.

SIL had planned to pick up his 3 at Costa Mesa on a weekend. No more! He is going to pick it up closer to work at LAX in MDR DURING THE WEEK! He recommends to take a day off work in SoCal and pick it up during the week to avoid all the insanity!

On the bright side, the more he sees the model 3, the more he loves it. At this point he is going through Dante's 5th level of HELL before he reaches level 9. He is in agony!

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Unfortunately too many. The average consumer doesn't perform a thorough inspection. I have helped my friend inspect his assigned RWD car twice and have my order in for AWD/Red/19"/White Interior. I will hold my car to the same inspection standards and will not be afraid to reject over and over again until they get it right. I really believe in Tesla and believe they will succeed. By holding them to high standards, I feel I am doing my part in helping Tesla become a better company.

Just curious. What were your findings in your friend’s RWD? I wouldn’t reject my car if it is something that can be easily replaced later on. Paint defects that cannot be corrected with a detail; well, that is a different story.

damn that sucks but at least you got your p3d. have heard bad stories about costa mesa

Yeah unfortunately this is my closest location as well. I’m sure it has to be one of the busiest in the country?

Can we request picking up the car st a different location? I really don’t want to go to Costa Mesa.

Also this has me worried about GA4 quality? I think all Performance models come off that line exclusively.

Just curious. What were your findings in your friend’s RWD? I wouldn’t reject my car if it is something that can be easily replaced later on. Paint defects that cannot be corrected with a detail; well, that is a different story.

First car (6/2018 build) was rejected over a fairly large paint blister on the trunk lid. Second car (7/2018 build) was rejected over 7 paint blisters of varying sizes throughout the car. We confirmed with the Tesla reps and my detailer that those defects can't be corrected with detailing before deciding to reject. Unfortunately it looks like these paint defects are becoming very common on recent builds and most people aren't performing detailed inspections at delivery. We might modify our acceptance criteria to allowing defects on the bumper since bumper repaint can't be detected with a paint meter.

Took delivery of our X in March 2016 at Costa Mesa. Experience was very good for mid-morning Saturday, granted they did not have many deliveries so we were there for well over an hour just going over the car. I chose CM as my delivery location when I ordered my 3 but now am wondering if the Buena Park location delivers. Anyone know? Not sure I want to drive up to Marina del Ray DC.

Yeah unfortunately this is my closest location as well. I’m sure it has to be one of the busiest in the country?

Can we request picking up the car st a different location? I really don’t want to go to Costa Mesa.

Also this has me worried about GA4 quality? I think all Performance models come off that line exclusively.

I took my red m3 delivery from Costa Mesa. Mad house. Dirty cars full with bird drops. The fact is they just don’t have capabilities to make these cars look shiny and clean. Pick up from somewhere else if I were you. I’m taking mine back to the service center on August 13.

Reactions: Brian N and P85_DA
I got my P3D from there the week before last and also had a pretty bad experience mainly due to some contract issues. I was also missing the USB cables, Dual Motor badge and the car Software was a version or so behind also. I've called service about this since and left a couple of messages, but I have no idea if the've even ordered the badge etc.

They really had an attitude like they pretended they cared, but all they wanted to do was rush you through to try and get you out of the door before you spotted more things wrong.

These posts are scaring the hell out me as well. When my delivery comes, I'm steeling myself to suppress the excitement of years of waiting, and dispassionately go down my checklist. Good to know that refusing delivery is possible as a last resort.

I've got to believe the vast majority of deliveries go well, and the experiences here not the norm?

How do they guarantee it will be repaired? Is it written down somewhere? If they later on say it can’t be repaired, can you still return the car?
There is an impression that no one has guaranteed anything. They just wanted the documents to be signed faster, despite obvious problems with the appearance, not to mention what's inside. Strange guys. I would no longer use such a delivery service unequivocally. I would find something similar Customs Broker | Canadian Customs Clearance | Import to Canada | Clearit.ca to what we have in Canada. Here I can always be sure that everything will come to me in the form in which it was loaded.

I got my P3D from there the week before last and also had a pretty bad experience mainly due to some contract issues. I was also missing the USB cables, Dual Motor badge and the car Software was a version or so behind also. I've called service about this since and left a couple of messages, but I have no idea if the've even ordered the badge etc.

They really had an attitude like they pretended they cared, but all they wanted to do was rush you through to try and get you out of the door before you spotted more things wrong.

I’m sorry but the badge is the least of everyone’s concerns. It’s a sticker that slaps on the back. I’d be more concerned about the spoiler?

I have a hardware charging issue and I’m not even sweating it knowing Tesla will make all things right in the end.

These posts are scaring the hell out me as well. When my delivery comes, I'm steeling myself to suppress the excitement of years of waiting, and dispassionately go down my checklist. Good to know that refusing delivery is possible as a last resort.

I've got to believe the vast majority of deliveries go well, and the experiences here not the norm?

They need to do at least 5000 deliveries a week just to match production. They need even more than that to clear the backlogs in the lots. 30,000 cars in a month when they were delivering 100,000 in a year. 100,000 from 50,000, 20,000 etc.

Tesla can slow down.. but a lot of people will be raging at missing their full tax credits.

Damned if you do.. damned if you don’t.

I would look out for paint defects. Though panel gaps have been greatly improved, paint blisters seem to have become common in Model 3's built in late June and July. I would bring a checklist (can find by searching "checklist" in the Model 3 Forum) and spend lots of time inspecting. Decide what your accept/reject criteria is. My criteria is to reject defects that will require repair at a body shop (though I may accept bumper defects since repaint on plastic can't be detected by a paint meter). Try not to get excited before you go to your delivery appointment so you can evaluate the car objectively. It's very easy to reject and wait for another VIN in Los Angeles since the delivery center is close by, but I bet it'll be a big inconvenience when you have to drive 100+ miles each time.

@EricUSC,

What exactly do these ‘Paint Blisters’ look like? Can you post a photo so we know what we’re looking for?

Ski

@corduroy,

Agreed. These stories are upsetting. What’s worse is those of us who are STILL awaiting VINs now have in the back of our minds the ‘battle’ between rejecting a delivery and possibly going to “who knows WHERE” in the Que for a new VIN (and the resultant delay) and bumping up against the ‘Runout’ of the Dec 31st YE full tax incentive.

What a quandry.

Ski