Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Bridgestone Run-Flat Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately no recommended runflats in the XL category to handle the Tesla
There is now a summer run flat tire available for the Tesla Model Y.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP in 255/40-20 XL 101Y

Also, in size 255/45-20, there is a Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus RFT XL 101V all season run flat tire

In 19" size 255/50-19 there are summer and also winter run flat tires that are XL rated 107H or V.

Getting LR model Y 2023 soon. Tire rack told me these run flats will fit. Anyone have experience with these? I drive a lot of highway miles daily and don't want to be stuck on the side of the highway with a flat. Will put up with extra noise, stiff ride, extra expense for the comfort to know I can get home and to a tire shop if needed every night. Cost is $1486 for 4 shipped.

Bridgestones TURANZA LS100 RFT - SIZE: 255/45R19​

I had many (I don't even remember how many) BMWs with run flats. With the amount of flats we get here in SE FL, where construction just never stops, I want them again. I had no problems with them. Yes. They usually cannot be repaired. But they say the same for my Pilot Sports. Except that I sat 3 hours in my car waiting for AAA that never came when I got a flat the the Michelines in my M5.

My 2006 BMW came with run-flats and I continued using them for all season and winter tires until I sold the car in 2021 for my Tesla. Ditto for my other the 2013 BMW. 18 years of driving experience, no regrets and would get run-flats the minute they are available for my Tesla
Amazing how experiences can be so different.
(You did run flat on them?) I had them on my X3.
We had a puncture five years ago in France, when loaded; the two of us plus holiday luggage ( except the kitchen sink). I drove on the flat Pirelli for about 8 miles at less than ten mph before the tire shredded.
No shop within miles stocked them. So we were carried 30 miles to the nearest BMW garage where 30 hours later they fitted 4 new Pirellis ( refusing to fit less than a full set due to X drive thread depth difference limitations). If my brain had been functioning, when faced with the obligation to fit four new tired, I would have gone for a set of " normal" boots.

On our return to the UK, a thin spare was purchased, so naturally, we never had another flat.

When I sold the X3 which had only done 15 k miles on the infamous runflat set, I advised the buyer to carry the unused spare with its fitting kit or, if space was at a premium, a can of foam and a repair kit. He, the buyer, not a runflat fan either, will not be buying them when that time comes.

And yet, I am possibly the rare exception and run flats are maybe fine. I shan't damn the race based on my experience anymore than I like to see negative generalisations about our wonderful Tesla. I just won't use them again.

Reactions: Noflash
For tire repair in an emergency, how about the repair kit from Tesla that pumps something into your tire to get you to a place you can replace the tire? I believe using this kit ruins the tire so... The kit is $70 on the Tesla shop site. Here's a link: https://shop.tesla.com/product/tire-repair-kit
The sealant in the tire repair kit may not seal the puncture due to the foam liner inside the OE tires. Carry a tire plug kit in addition to a tire inflation pump.

The sealant in the tire repair kit may not seal the puncture due to the foam liner inside the OE tires. Carry a tire plug kit in addition to a tire inflation pump.
There is an excellent video (or three) on Youtube that demonstrate the acoustic foam does not compromise the effectiveness of the foam.
I particularly recommend Ben Vallack's chennel. Search " Can you repair Tesla Acoustic Tyres with Holts Tyreweld?"
A great tutorial.

Reactions: Pianewman
There is an excellent video (or three) on Youtube that demonstrate the acoustic foam does not compromise the effectiveness of the foam.
I particularly recommend Ben Vallack's chennel. Search " Can you repair Tesla Acoustic Tyres with Holts Tyreweld?"
A great tutorial.
I am not sure if this product is sold in the US. The Tesla Tire Repair kit uses a water based sealant (similar to Slime brand puncture sealant.) Other brands/types of sealant that are not water based can damage the TPMS.

Reactions: Pianewman
My friend had a rental bmw last year, he got a flat(on a runflat) he has to spend over 500 to get it replaced(since they cant repair runflats)
like many others said, yes u can repair them, i've put plugs in mine on BMW many times.
if ur on budget, u don't have to pay $500 per tire, look at ur local tire shops or eBay.
i've bought good used runflats for as low as regular tire, $60 shipped (6/32nds, 245/45/18 Continentals)
I had run flat performance tires on the BMW I traded in for my Y. Expensive, stiffer ride, ruined four tires and one wheel hitting potholes. One blew out a big section of sidewall when the tire blew, at night, on the interstate, in the rain, in an area with no place to pull off, and couldn't be driven faster than 5 mph. :/
don't blame pot holes on tires lol
if anything, thick sidewall on run-flat will handle more abuse n larger pot holes...

I've had 3 sets of runflats on my BMW, bridgestone driveguard and Continental ContiProContact SSR
All lasted above 50k mi n many potholes n flats.
Didn't notice any ride difference or noise (could be cause BMW is great at that).
YMMV...

PS. Run flat tires (aka RFT, SSR, MOE) are no different than regular tires besides thicker sidewall.

No shop within miles stocked them. So we were carried 30 miles to the nearest BMW garage where 30 hours later they fitted 4 new Pirellis ( refusing to fit less than a full set due to X drive thread depth difference limitations). If my brain had been functioning, when faced with the obligation to fit four new tired, I would have gone for a set of " normal" boots.
u do realize u can put a regular tire of the same size if ur in a pinch to get home or get by n then find the matching one...
n u can do it at any tire shop...
yes the thread depth need to be withing 1-2/32nds for awd cars but its far easier to find any other tire than matching one u have

I am not sure if this product is sold in the US. The Tesla Tire Repair kit uses a water based sealant (similar to Slime brand puncture sealant.) Other brands/types of sealant that are not water based can damage the TPMS.
That is a pity. The product has been around in Europe for many years and has a good reputation.
like many others said, yes u can repair them, i've put plugs in mine on BMW many times.
if ur on budget, u don't have to pay $500 per tire, look at ur local tire shops or eBay.
i've bought good used runflats for as low as regular tire, $60 shipped (6/32nds, 245/45/18 Continentals)

don't blame pot holes on tires lol
if anything, thick sidewall on run-flat will handle more abuse n larger pot holes...

I've had 3 sets of runflats on my BMW, bridgestone driveguard and Continental ContiProContact SSR
All lasted above 50k mi n many potholes n flats.
Didn't notice any ride difference or noise (could be cause BMW is great at that).
YMMV...

PS. Run flat tires (aka RFT, SSR, MOE) are no different than regular tires besides thicker sidewall.

u do realize u can put a regular tire of the same size if ur in a pinch to get home or get by n then find the matching one...
n u can do it at any tire shop...
yes the thread depth need to be withing 1-2/32nds for awd cars but its far easier to find any other tire than matching one u have
Yes indeed. Learnt all that after the event.
I can't believe that the tire shop we made it to in 8 miles, did not suggest that solution but rather lost and a small ( one tire) sale as our rescue truck drove off into the sunset.

I’ve had run flats on my BMWs. My 335i with sport suspension had four flats, two of which suffered such a large section of sidewall blown out that the car was undriveable without destroying the wheel. One of the other two flats involved a pothole so deep that it destroyed both the tire and the wheel. So out of four flats, only one allowed me to drive after the flat occurred. For that I put up with a harsher ride than my Y, and expensive tires that were difficult to find outside of the dealer. Not a good trade off for me.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Thank you. I'll look into it.
Or carry an awl in case the screw or nail which caused the puncture was too short to penetrate the foam liner. Simply deepen the hole with the thin, 2 mm round head awl and the foam will find its way to the hole. Also carry decent thin nosed pliers and screwdriver to remove the nail/screw. However, if the hole diameter is greater than 5mm, the foam probably won't work. I am not sure of the puncture repair plugs' limitations in this regard.
Even if you do not have space for a Modern Spare, be sure to have have pucks on board in case of wheel removal by someone not puck-equipped.
It happened to me with a previous car, fortunately I had mine.

The above assumes lack of road side assistance ( or preference for a DIY fix),Tesla Ranger or other break down firms.

Last edited: