Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of questions for a P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First:
Using the self park option if I am trying to park in say a parking lot the P show up on the screen when I pass two cars with an empty spot between them ?
Case in point I put the car in reverse activating the self parking trouble was I nearly hit the car in the adjacent spot when it was trying to back in. I figured when STOP came up on the screen it was time to hit the brake.
Can the car park if it is perpendicular (90 Degrees) to the space if so am I supposed to position the car so it can back in without having to reverse then pull forward and reverse. what are the parking limitations?

Second:
In Self drive will the car move if another car gets too close? Today I am on the highway and I see the Toyo drifting into my lane slow but drifting, I glance at the screen and I see the blind spot warning flashing but I don't as I do not now how the car will react I take the wheel and move over to the next lane. (yep she was texting)
Would the Tesla have avoided the contact if it had a clear adjacent lane to move to and I had not taken the wheel?

I don't use self park so can't help there, but you can wrestly control away from aytosteer just by nudging it where you want to go. It resists at first, then switches over to you. I wouldn't hope the car will avoid a blind texter, just swerve manually and then re-enable autosteer.

Self park can do both parallel streetside and perpendicular parking lot parking. As you're cruising past a spot it uses the ultrasonic sensors to pick up surrounding vehicles and the depth of the spot. If it's narrow and deep, it's assumed to be perpendicular; long and shallow is parallel. The P shows up in the dash, you shift into reverse, and the center display will display your a visual representation of the spot (parallel and perpendicular are visually distinct), your position on relation, and the start button. Hit that and the car will automatically maneuver into place (including multi-point turn braking and shifting) and shift into park.

That said... it's not perfect. in my experience, 80% of the time it'll pick up the spot, 99% of that time it'll correctly identify the type of spot, and 98% of the time it'll back in without incident. It's nowhere near foolproof and it's your job as driver to stop it when it's being a fool. It will get closer than you're probably comfortable, though it's worth noting that the wide fisheye angle of the rear camera distorts the view, exaggerating your closeness in the center of the frame, and the "stop" message pops up at about a foot distance. Your can abort at any time by pressing the brake.

Autopilot takes minor action to avoid other vehicles, but as of today it will not change lanes withoutyour command. More than once I've had a vehicle edge too close to my lane and my Tesla nudged itself over to the edge of my lane. While the car is generally aware of obstacles in the opposite lane in this situation, it doesn't have rear awareness to pick up any overtaking vehicles outside of the ultrasonic sensors' 24-foot range. Once more cameras are turned on for Autopilot this may be possible, but today it is not a maneuver the car could safely execute.

Reactions: Brightonuk