Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Covering gloss black console with satin SunTek film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Acceptable" on the top, "bad" on the bottom. Just take your time and don't get frustrated, and you'll do fine.

IMG_0702.jpg

@MoeMistry.... How difficult is it to remove the 3 center console lid pieces. Post #17 shows it all removed, which would be something I would definitely consider doing when I wrap my console. That way, I'd be able to get it fully wrapped all around the piano black (tops, bottoms, and sides). And hopefully with the cupholder cover removed, I'd be able to remove that chrome-looking ring around where the top of the cupholders meet the piano black trim. Is that double ring removable?

Thanks,
--Cintoman

Reactions: navguy12
Here are some pics of the center console done in Satin vs Clear. It all comes down to preference in aesthetics. To achieve the tightest fit and optimal edge wrap, no precut templates are used. This area is quite prone to scratches, so most of our Model 3 customers have had this area protected.

Satin Video:

Attachments

• Gloss Center Console.JPG
    Gloss Center Console.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 329
  • Satin Center Console.jpg
    Satin Center Console.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 332
"Acceptable" on the top, "bad" on the bottom. Just take your time and don't get frustrated, and you'll do fine.

View attachment 282732
Thanks so much for posting your experience. I'm having a really hard time deciding what color to go with. My first preference would be the matte black, but in all of the photos on RPM's website, it looks like you can see air bubbles and imperfections with the installation, so I feel like it would be less forgiving than the "busier patterns." I agree that the black metallic looks too grainy. I also like the look of carbon fiber, but fear it would be too obviously fake in real life. The brushed titanium looks really nice, but does it overpower the rest of the black interior? Are you happy with the choice? If not too much trouble, would you be willing to take a photo from farther away, that shows the contrast with the seating and dash? Thanks again!

Thanks guys for sharing your photos. When I get my car and have it wrapped I will definitely add this console area to what I want done. I like the matte look but also think the brushed looks interesting.

As for comments on air bubbles and imperfections, that's why you go with a skilled installer. Bubbles will sometimes form after install and why shops will have you come back shortly after doing the work to remove any while they can still be taken care of.

Thanks so much for posting your experience. I'm having a really hard time deciding what color to go with. My first preference would be the matte black, but in all of the photos on RPM's website, it looks like you can see air bubbles and imperfections with the installation, so I feel like it would be less forgiving than the "busier patterns." I agree that the black metallic looks too grainy. I also like the look of carbon fiber, but fear it would be too obviously fake in real life. The brushed titanium looks really nice, but does it overpower the rest of the black interior? Are you happy with the choice? If not too much trouble, would you be willing to take a photo from farther away, that shows the contrast with the seating and dash? Thanks again!

I'm realllllly happy with it, I think it's much better than the black in my opinion. I'll do the interior door/window control panels as well as soon as they have precut kits available.

As for comments on air bubbles and imperfections, that's why you go with a skilled installer. Bubbles will sometimes form after install and why shops will have you come back shortly after doing the work to remove any while they can still be taken care of.

Which is why I’m really surprised RPM would post images like this (image number 4 shows a close up that looks really bad):

https://www.rpmtesla.com/product-page/model-3-center-console-matte-xpel-stealth

I have to assume that’s the best their skilled installers could do, and it’s not good.

I think r-t-j is beginning to regret posting here with all of us asking for pics from different angles.

I'm realllllly happy with it, I think it's much better than the black in my opinion. I'll do the interior door/window control panels as well as soon as they have precut kits available.
They have them now and I'm considering those as well. So please hurry up and order/get yours installed so I can see how it looks. ;)

Here's the Brushed Steel. They don't have any photos of the Brushed Titanium. One thing that surprises me is that the grain on these runs perpendicular to all the other covers in their suite.
cd0434_9102378d66684b459f7f5dba7273324a~mv2.jpg

Last edited:
I think r-t-j is beginning to regret posting here with all of us asking for pics from different angles.

Nah as long as people are patient I don't mind.

They have them now and I'm considering those as well. So please hurry up and order/get yours installed so I can see how it looks. ;)

Here's the Brushed Steel. They don't have any photos of the Brushed Titanium. One thing that surprises me is that the grain on these runs perpendicular to all the other covers in their suite.
cd0434_9102378d66684b459f7f5dba7273324a~mv2.jpg

Oh snap.

Reactions: fseir

Finally remembered to take that pic for you

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 280
Reactions: fseir and S3XY