Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Advice & Poll Pls. MS P85D or P90DL 2015/2016?

Which CPO car would you get if all options were the same & it came with a 4yr warranty?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looking for your opinion(s) on if it's better to purchase a used CPO from Tesla between one of these 3 cars:

- 2014/15 P85D
- 2015 P90DL
- 2016 P90DL

If all options are the same (FULLY OPTIONED), color isn't important, and all have a 4 year CPO warranty... the only difference I am seeing is the asking price of the vehicles vs "market values".

- 2014/15 P85D's appear to be worth $45-50k, but Tesla is asking $49-60k+

- 2015 P90DL's appear to be worth $48-54k, but Tesla is asking $57-82k

- 2016 P90DL's (with or without the new bumper) appear to be worth $54-64k, but Tesla is asking $62-87k

I think my 2 biggest concerns are:

1) Is a P85D "fast enough" since I like the idea of having the power of a luxury sports car? Tesla sent me home with a P100DL about a year ago and it was great; although I don't need THAT much speed/power.

2) Which vehicle will hold their resell value 1-3 years from now? A 2014/15 or a 2016?

3) As it relates to resell value and the mileage, is it better to get a lower mileage car despite the fact that Tesla's seem to be fine past the 100,000-mile mark?

Any perspective you have on the above, or otherwise is greatly appreciated!

1) yes ..it’s fast !
2) imo car is not an investment an AP2.x car and refresh probably will hold more “value” but wouldn’t be enough to change my decision ;)
3) same as 2:eek:

The thing with p90s is u want a V3 batt if u go that route as there were some degradation issues as well as throttling of supercharger speeds

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
1) yes ..it’s fast !
2) imo car is not an investment an AP2.x car and refresh probably will hold more “value” but wouldn’t be enough to change my decision ;)
3) same as 2:eek:

The thing with p90s is u want a V3 batt if u go that route as there were some degradation issues as well as throttling of supercharger speeds

Got it, thank you!!

Is there a way to know if a P90DL CPO on Tesla.com has a V3 battery or not?

And why choose a 2014 P85D specifically over the others?

- 2016 P90DL's (with or without the new bumper) appear to be worth $54-64k, but Tesla is asking $62-87k

Curious where you are getting these numbers from. If they are worth X how do you figure Tesla is selling them for Y?

Dealership trade-in values are not real world numbers. Look at private party sales if you need a comparison metric.

Gotcha. Thanks for your perspective. However, dealerships are a great way to determine the lowest price you'll get for a vehicle... private party sales on Teslas of this year and trim level, again looking at data of recent sales, clearly indicate that these cars don't move as fast as our optimism might indicate when selling these specific cars at the $50-70k price point.

If you have data or experience on multiple transactions that prove otherwise... please let me know so I (and others in my position) can view this differently.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Just looking for your opinion(s) on if it's better to purchase a used CPO from Tesla between one of these 3 cars:

- 2014/15 P85D
- 2015 P90DL
- 2016 P90DL

If all options are the same (FULLY OPTIONED), color isn't important, and all have a 4 year CPO warranty... the only difference I am seeing is the asking price of the vehicles vs "market values".

I think my 2 biggest concerns are:

1) Is a P85D "fast enough" since I like the idea of having the power of a luxury sports car? Tesla sent me home with a P100DL about a year ago and it was great; although I don't need THAT much speed/power.

2) Which vehicle will hold their resell value 1-3 years from now? A 2014/15 or a 2016?

3) As it relates to resell value and the mileage, is it better to get a lower mileage car despite the fact that Tesla's seem to be fine past the 100,000-mile mark?

Any perspective you have on the above, or otherwise is greatly appreciated!
Great post. I had the same questions. Which one did you go with?

Personally I go for a late production 2015, only because I just bought a CPO tonight. It was a best value/ bang for your buck decision for me.

My local market has limited selection and P85D go for about $53k and with expiring warranty. Seems my $51k buy with 4yr/50k mile warrenty was a good deal for me. The money I saved is earmarked for other goodie—can’t wait.

Good luck with your search.