Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Problems: 3 Months Since I picked up my S P100D and Tesla LOST my documents!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Abbreviated version of a very lengthy story.

- Deposit $2500 to Tesla Chicago
- Dropped approved trade-in in Houston
- One way flight to Chicago
- Took delivery of S P100D and drove back
to Louisiana (Tesla unwilling to ship)
- Told I would recieve title transfer and
registration within a week
- Multiple emails and calls to different
departments (including Chicago team)
after temp tags expire
- Today (nearly 3 months later).Still no renewed temp tags and just received a fedex packet with the trade in paperwork and buyer agreement...they lost my original paperwork.

I am so livid I can barely type this. All this time I thought the delay was due to title transfer with the dmv. They haven't even started the transfer! I was under the impression that Tesla simplifies the car buying experience. Clearly, this has been anything but a seamless experience.

Last edited:
Took me 4 months to get a title. I assume you purchased CPO otherwise they would have the title in-hand.

Guarantee they are jerking you around on what is actually happening. I got 3 different stories by the time my title actually came through.

How they can sell vehicles without title in-hand is beyond me.
had this happen once, traded in a sedan, didn't have title, I signed authority to dealer to retrieve title from state, they sold the car (assuming they would easily obtain a title while the temp
tags were still good) state bureaucracy wouldn't send title because of... bureaucracy. state would only send the title to an address my SO lived at 10 years ago. wtf

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The fact is Tesla has not simplified the car purchase process. In a attempt to simplify, it has introduced many problems. These pre-delivery, delivery and post-delivery issues are widespread. I personally experienced issues with each Tesla purchase in 2015 and 2018.

Yes dealers have issues, but there are also many things they do right. Having all the papers documents signed and filed when you are in the dealership (including getting financing right on the spot if needed), and so when you drive off the lot you and the dealership are both certain there won't be any documentation issues, is slow on the day of purchase, but preempts any problems beforehand and afterwards.

Yes you do end up staying at the dealership past dinner, but honestly the amt of time spent dealing with Tesla purchase issues add up to be a LOT more than just that afternoon + early evening at the dealership.

My last BMW experience was the best ever (so they are getting better!). I got there at 10 am and was out by 2 pm. I was actually on a road trip and was able to make it to my next destination 120 miles away and check into my hotel before dinner! All taxes and fees were taken care of, so no need to visit DMV or tax office (like I need to for Tesla) and tag was in my mail box in 3 weeks.

Tesla needs to become that smooth.

• Love
Reactions: dethman and neroden
I'm sure one of those high school educated millenials who applied for their job from a coffee shop will get right on it.
good luck

Can we stop blaming everything on millenials? I'm one and I've done pretty well for myself. Bottom line is no matter how educated the individual is if you don't have a clear line of communication up the chain or to solve issues anyone is going to fail.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Can we stop blaming everything on millenials? I'm one and I've done pretty well for myself. Bottom line is no matter how educated the individual is if you don't have a clear line of communication up the chain or to solve issues anyone is going to fail.
I notice you didn't use the word 'like' 5 times in your reply. You truly are a millenial outsider.

I notice you didn't use the word 'like' 5 times in your reply. You truly are a millenial outsider.
I am a millennial as well. A millennial is anyone born between 1981 and 1996. So many millennials as not young kids. my husband is 37 and technically a millennial. I am 30 and a millennial. I know plenty of older non millennials with no work ethic, poor education, poor communication etc. In fact as an RN I deal with some extremely ignorant older non millennials. Maybe you should stop making assumptions....based on generation.

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and neroden
Abbreviated version of a very lengthy story.

- Deposit $2500 to Tesla Chicago
- Dropped approved trade-in in Houston
- One way flight to Chicago
- Took delivery of S P100D and drove back
to Louisiana (Tesla unwilling to ship)
- Told I would recieve title transfer and
registration within a week
- Multiple emails and calls to different
departments (including Chicago team)
after temp tags expire
- Today (nearly 3 months later).Still no renewed temp tags and just received a fedex packet with the trade in paperwork and buyer agreement...they lost my original paperwork.

I am so livid I can barely type this. All this time I thought the delay was due to title transfer with the dmv. They haven't even started the transfer! I was under the impression that Tesla simplifies the car buying experience. Clearly, this has been anything but a seamless experience.

When did TESLA bring back a CPO program?
That hasn't been around for over a year - no?