Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Process Anxiety/Vent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sucks to suck. If it wasn't up to par, you should have walk away and requested another car or refund of your deposit.

Easy for you to say. Some would like to avoid this uncertainty altogether and know what used car it is that they are buying, before waiting for weeks.

My CPO was pretty much a new car. There was some dirt on the white alcantara headliner that I pointed out and they brought the detailer over and he clean it right up! I can't even tell where that spot was anymore. Other than that, it was completely detailed inside and out, fresh coat of wax too. New wheels, new tires. I was hard pressed to find anything wrong with it.

We all know you had an acceptable CPO experience so good for you and thanks for sharing that experience with us.

The point here is that it is hit or miss when buying a CPO car the way they currently do things. They may or not send you information about the car, they may or not share with you the service history, they may or not deliver your car in a reasonable time frame, they may or not share actual photos of the car, you may or may not be able to see the actual car, and most importantly, they may or not deliver a CPO car to you in the condition that you expect because you never got to see the used car they were selling you.

While you were fine rolling the CPO dice (and good for you that you ended up with a great car), based on what I've read here, that's not always the case. I'm personally weary rolling the dice on such a large purchase and not knowing much about the used car I'm buying. The fact that they seem to use some of the CPO cars as service loaners makes me even more weary. Someone can abuse the Sh!t out of the car and literally use it for Home Depot runs to transport bags of dirt causing massive wear and tear. This is why I'd like to see the condition of the actual car I'm buying.

I hope they revise their CPO program so they can be as transparent as a car dealer about what they are selling. Think about that for a second. A car dealer will share everything they have about the used car they are selling including actual photos and allow you to see it in person. Not too much to ask now is it?

I can tell you this, I have more confidence in a Tesla CPO than BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc,. ICE dealer CPO's are a joke and you can tell by some of the garbage they have on their lot.

Maintenance history? These are not ICE cars where a missed oil change or two could be troublesome. Although I did get a kick out of seeing a jiffylube on the carfax of another CPO Tesla before. Maybe it was there to drain/fill radiator fluid.

While I do agree with your "may or may not" statements, at the end of the day - on delivery day, you can always walk away. No one is forcing you to buy something you haven't approved of and I'm sure Tesla has no problem refunding you your deposit if you are completely disappointed, as their intention is to provide CPO's in the best condition as reasonably possible.

The current model S loaner I have has a big hole in the rear bumper, a big scratch on the passenger front door, the front windshield is scratched inside, three of the wheels have horrible wheel rub, there is a faceplate behind a door handle that is missing, and strangest of all....the trunk cargo cover is missing. Tesla will have to do some serious work on this car when someone buys it because obviously the previous owner didn’t take care of it.

I'd like to see pics of that car. Sounds like that one may just be a 'forever loaner'. Rip.

If you want to get your hands on a CPO before it gets used as a loaner, then head over to @HankLloydRight 's website and snatch your car before it hits Tesla's CPO page. You can also see what date Tesla listed the vehicle, well worth the $8 spent in donation to Hank.

I hope they read the Tesla forums.

We are looking to buy a Tesla and I'm completely turned off by the CPO process. We have bought other CPO (Audi and Lexus) cars in the past and the experience has been incredible, like we were buying a new car. With Tesla, it's been the opposite because I have to visit our Tesla gallery just to see what cars they have available.

I too would balk at putting money down on a car without being able to see it.

Sounds like you've had good experiences with CPO ICE, while I have not. I guess all of it is a 'hit or miss'.

I feel awful for you. Why can't they refurbish these CPO cars and then offer them for sale so people who want to buy a CPO car can inspect the car and then buy it right away without all the disappointment, drama, and weeks of delays?

It seems buying a CPO car is a bit of a crapshoot the way the CPO program is presently structured :eek:

They have always wanted money upfront, before you get what you ordered, I get this now.

TBQH, I am glad Tesla does not adhere to the same business practices of ICE dealers. And my fear is that they will pick up a few bad habits. I don't mind the premium paid for these cars, or the deposits, as long as the customer/owner is always taken care of.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85Dave
  • 1/9 Received a few photos of the car once it arrived at the refurbishment center. I'm told it needs a touch of paint and it will be getting new wheels and tires. No other details of refurbishment list.
  • Silence...
Wait....you got pictures?!?!??!

As someone who went through the CPO process, yes, if you don't reach out to them, you won't get any real updates until they're ready to hand over the car, and depending on the throughput of the Service Center, after weeks of silence, it will be "now, now, now!!!" so that they can clear room for new vehicle deliveries.

Frustrating? yes. But wait until you get that car!!!!

Easy for you to say. Some would like to avoid this uncertainty altogether and know what used car it is that they are buying, before waiting for weeks.

We all know you had an acceptable CPO experience so good for you and thanks for sharing that experience with us.

The point here is that it is hit or miss when buying a CPO car the way they currently do things. They may or not send you information about the car, they may or not share with you the service history, they may or not deliver your car in a reasonable time frame, they may or not share actual photos of the car, you may or may not be able to see the actual car, and most importantly, they may or not deliver a CPO car to you in the condition that you expect because you never got to see the used car they were selling you.

While you were fine rolling the CPO dice (and good for you that you ended up with a great car), based on what I've read here, that's not always the case. I'm personally weary rolling the dice on such a large purchase and not knowing much about the used car I'm buying. The fact that they seem to use some of the CPO cars as service loaners makes me even more weary. Someone can abuse the Sh!t out of the car and literally use it for Home Depot runs to transport bags of dirt causing massive wear and tear. This is why I'd like to see the condition of the actual car I'm buying.

I hope they revise their CPO program so they can be as transparent as a car dealer about what they are selling. Think about that for a second. A car dealer will share everything they have about the used car they are selling including actual photos and allow you to see it in person. Not too much to ask now is it?

While I get your concerns, since when is buying a used car not a roll of the dice to some extent? The bottom line, is that you're the customer and you can make a choice. If you are not comfortable with the Tesla CPO process, then by all means, don't buy a car from them. There are plenty of Tesla cars sitting on traditional car lots. If you are more comfortable with that process, then you can always buy one that way. Or for that matter, there are plenty of private sale vehicles available also. You can see them, test drive them, examine the paint and tires all you want and drive away the same day with the car.

It just seems ridiculous to me that if you feel that strongly about not liking the Tesla CPO process that you would voluntarily take that route. Or for that matter, why not go buy a Chevy Bolt where again, you can see it, drive it and leave with it the same day. I buy my CPO's from Tesla because I know that the company has always backed the car up for me with no hesitation. If I showed up to get a CPO and the car did not meet my expectations, there is no way I would take delivery of the vehicle until it did. That would go for any car that I purchased from anyone.

The reality, is that at this point, they don't have to change their CPO process. They have a superior product and the demand still far outstrips the supply. Cars are taken down off their website as fast as they put them up. If that changes, I'm sure their process will change but in the meantime the market continues to dictate the way they operate. Having experienced the CPO process with both Mercedes and BMW, I actually find the Tesla process preferable and have had far less issues than I ever did with those guys.

As I mentioned in the past, their process is not ideal and I have a list of 7 things I want fixed on my car which I got a service appointment for tomorrow. But thats the whole point, buting a cpo gives me the ability to drive my car and have them sort anything I may have missed on delivery day. Would I have wanted a perfect car on delivery day? Yes but im willing to give in to the process and get a near perfect car (for its mileage)

While I get your concerns, since when is buying a used car not a roll of the dice to some extent? The bottom line, is that you're the customer and you can make a choice. If you are not comfortable with the Tesla CPO process, then by all means, don't buy a car from them. There are plenty of Tesla cars sitting on traditional car lots. If you are more comfortable with that process, then you can always buy one that way. Or for that matter, there are plenty of private sale vehicles available also. You can see them, test drive them, examine the paint and tires all you want and drive away the same day with the car.

I am glad we can both agree that buying a used car is a roll of the dice. Perhaps now that we agree that it is a roll of the dice, we can both agree that having more information about the used car you are buying is better than having no information about the car.

Oh thanks for pointing out that I can buy a used Tesla from anyone who offers one for sale. o_O And yes, I am not comfortable with the current Tesla CPO process where you hardly have any information about the used car you are about to buy. I get it that you are completely comfortable with buying a used car not knowing much about it than the specs and stock photos of the car but understand that others may actually want to know about the used car they are buying.

Especially after reading posts on this forum about CPO cars delivered with major issues that would have been apparent if they had the opportunity to inspect the used car in advance.

It just seems ridiculous to me that if you feel that strongly about not liking the Tesla CPO process that you would voluntarily take that route. Or for that matter, why not go buy a Chevy Bolt where again, you can see it, drive it and leave with it the same day. I buy my CPO's from Tesla because I know that the company has always backed the car up for me with no hesitation. If I showed up to get a CPO and the car did not meet my expectations, there is no way I would take delivery of the vehicle until it did. That would go for any car that I purchased from anyone.

What I find ridiculous is the notion that some who buy a used car should be fine with the concept of not knowing just about anything with the actual used car they are about to buy. Some may not have 4-6 weeks to waste waiting around for the used car they bought only to see it, have to reject it, and then wait even longer. I realize you are fine with this but don;t assume everyone else is fine with such an eventuality.

The reality, is that at this point, they don't have to change their CPO process. They have a superior product and the demand still far outstrips the supply. Cars are taken down off their website as fast as they put them up. If that changes, I'm sure their process will change but in the meantime the market continues to dictate the way they operate. Having experienced the CPO process with both Mercedes and BMW, I actually find the Tesla process preferable and have had far less issues than I ever did with those guys.

The reality is good luck with the current CPO process as Tesla becomes a mass market car maker and people who are used to the CPO process of other car makers go to buy a Tesla CPO and then find out...
  • You can't go look at the used car you are about to buy.
  • You can't see photos of the used car you are about to buy.
  • You can't see the service history of the car you are about to buy to know if it was properly maintained by the previous owner.
  • You can't drive the used car you are about to buy until you pay for it.
  • You won't even know the condition of the used car you paid a deposit for until weeks afterwards when you show up to pay for the car.
The current CPO program is built on blind faith and previous forum posts suggest that people have been burned by the blind faith. I prefer the trust but verify approach when buying a used car.

Let us agree to disagree that the current CPO process is reasonable and offers a pleasant and reliable used car buying experience.

Reactions: P85Dave
They have a superior product and the demand still far outstrips the supply. Cars are taken down off their website as fast as they put them up. If that changes, I'm sure their process will change but in the meantime the market continues to dictate the way they operate. Having experienced the CPO process with both Mercedes and BMW, I actually find the Tesla process preferable and have had far less issues than I ever did with those guys.

They certainly do have a superior product with the Model S but I disagree that they have a superior product with their CPO Program. In fact the only reason they have gotten away with the poorly implemented CPO program is because the Model S is such an amazing car.

Cars are taken down as fast as they put them up? You mean the musical chairs they play with the CPO inventory where they rotate the same inventory in and out of the CPO listings for months and months? :p

I have not personally dealt with the CPO process for Mercedes but I have dealt with the CPO process for Lexus and BMW and let me tell you it is far far superior to the crapshoot the Tesla CPO process apparently is. When I called the local BMW or Lexus dealer about a CPO car, I could not have been treated better and with more respect. They setup an appointment for me to come and look at the actual car and each time when I showed up, the car I was interested in was cleaned up in perfect shape and ready for me to look at the car and take it for a test drive. Upon request, they showed me all the documentation about the car, the CarFax, the service history, and even what they have done to certify the car. Once I found the car I wanted and was satisfied with the condition of the car, we wrote a check and drove the car home immediately.

As for the Tesla CPO Program, yes, I am sure the market will dictate how they operate as it has room for improvement :rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: Ketchups
I am glad we can both agree that buying a used car is a roll of the dice. Perhaps now that we agree that it is a roll of the dice, we can both agree that having more information about the used car you are buying is better than having no information about the car.

After going through my second CPO purchase from Tesla, I have learned that with a little bit of effort, I was able to get pretty good information about the cars I was purchasing ahead of time. I have a good relationship with the service guys and they were very accommodating when I asked for the history of the car. I even had the opportunity to check the car out three days before I finalized my purchase as in, "It's not detailed yet but here are the keys, take your time and go check it out."

In addition, I learned after my first CPO purchase, that Tesla stands behind the car better than MB or BMW ever did. I had a never ending list of problems with those cars and was constantly arguing (especially with MB) as to whether those problems were covered under their CPO warranty. I drove my first Tesla CPO to Texas (3200 miles round trip) twice. After coming back from the first trip, I was getting this slight vibration at around 25 mph. Brought the car in to Tesla. The tech drove it for a few minutes and said, "I don't like the sound of that, we are going to replace the DU. Also, I see a few bubbles around the edge of your screen so we are going to change that too." No hesitation, no BS. Anytime, I've had any issues (and there haven't been many), they have been all over it. Based on those experiences, that is why I feel comfortable taking a slight leap of faith when buying a car from them.

Add to that the amazing experience of owning one of these cars and it's a slam dunk to me. The point I was trying to make, is that if you can't reach that level of comfort, you should choose other avenues. Nobody is forcing you to suffer through the Tesla CPO process.

Reactions: Ketchups
After going through my second CPO purchase from Tesla, I have learned that with a little bit of effort, I was able to get pretty good information about the cars I was purchasing ahead of time. I have a good relationship with the service guys and they were very accommodating when I asked for the history of the car. I even had the opportunity to check the car out three days before I finalized my purchase as in, "It's not detailed yet but here are the keys, take your time and go check it out."

So it seems like you got to see the car before purchase, review the service history, and get detailed information about the car in advance. Seems this should be a perfectly reasonable expectation not just for you but others looking to buy a previously owned car as well. I guess what some are saying is that if everyone was able to get the amount of information you received, some of the unfortunate CPO stories shared on this forum could have been avoided.

There is one post from a while back where after buying a CPO car, someone found out that one of the sides of the car was badly repainted and they did not fix that for him. This is why anyone buying a used car -- CPO or otherwise -- should be vigilant and check the car out in advance.

The point I was trying to make, is that if you can't reach that level of comfort, you should choose other avenues. Nobody is forcing you to suffer through the Tesla CPO process.

You can't have the argument both ways :) On one side you admit to getting all the information about the used car you bought, including being able to see it, and then on the other side you are arguing everyone else should just take it or leave it

"...That level of comfort?"

You mean being able to actually see the used car you are buying and knowing some history about the car is just some arbitrary level of comfort? I'd say it would be negligent and irresponsible of anyone to buy a used car without seeing the car you are buying and knowing the history behind that car. Not doing this is how you end up with bad CPO experiences detailed multiple time on this forum.

You are right in that "Nobody is forcing you to suffer through the Tesla CPO process" but you should not be surprised to see discussion of attributes of the CPO program that a reasonable person might find unacceptable on unreasonable on a public forum. I didn't start this thread but the very reason this thread exists is because another forum member thought the CPO process creates unnecessary anxiety and I agree with that and I hope they make the CPO program better. They have quite a bit of room for improvement.

Hey guys, I have an idea. Don't buy a CPO Tesla if you don't like the process.

On an online forum, you don't get to decide what is acceptable for other people to discuss or dictate what actions they should take. Believe it or not, there are legitimate issues/concerns that apparently may not matter much to you but may matter a great deal to other people. Just because you are not interested in a topic does not mean that other people don't deserve to be heard.

If you need to, look up the title of this thread and read the first post by the OP. The OP has had an anxiety enduing experience trying to buy a CPO car and others are discussing that topic. It is somewhat arrogant to suggest to the OP or anyone else having issues with the CPO program that he should apparently cancel the CPO order or not buy a CPO rather than discuss how things can be made better.

We all love Tesla, obviously, but if you can't handle other people pointing out deficiencies and how things could be improved, an online forum is going to be a tough place for you.

Last edited:
On an online forum, you don't get to decide what is acceptable for other people to discuss or dictate what actions they should take. Believe it or not, there are legitimate issues/concerns that apparently may not matter much to you but may matter a great deal to other people. Just because you are not interested in a topic does not mean that other people don't deserve to be heard.

If you need to, look up the title of this thread and read the first post by the OP. The OP has had an anxiety enduing experience trying to buy a CPO car and others are discussing that topic. It is somewhat arrogant to suggest to the OP or anyone else having issues with the CPO program that he should apparently cancel the CPO order or not buy a CPO rather than discuss how things can be made better.

We all love Tesla, obviously, but if you can't handle other people pointing out deficiencies and how things could be improved, an online forum is going to be a tough place for you.

My comment was mainly directed at you, who for all I know have not even started the CPO process. So what anxiety/venting do you really have to do when you haven't even put the deposit down? You're just on the sidelines, playing backseat driver.

As for the OP, he's already taken delivery of his car. Maybe you should read page 1 + 2 of this thread. Most of the hassle of the CPO process is lack of communication and the long long wait, hence 'anxiety' and 'venting'. All this talk about seeing the car before you put money down on it is just a waste of time. If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere, maybe that way Tesla will get the message - IF there are a whole bunch of people like you out there. Also if you somehow find the courage to go thru this CPO process and the car turns out to be a complete disappointment, you can always walk away. This is called advice. No one is deciding anything for you or forcing your hand to sign papers. You seem to have a hard time grasping that concept.

Go luck with your purchase, whatever it may be.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electricious
Hi all. After a few years or admiring the Model S from afar, I pulled the trigger and put a deposit on a 2013 85 with 32K!
I'm excited to take delivery but have become increasingly frustrated with the lack of communication from Tesla during this process. I'll list some details below.
  • 1/2 Deposit.
  • 1/3 Emailed the used car sales advisor about the order. Get a friendly "Hello" email back.
  • 1/9 Received a few photos of the car once it arrived at the refurbishment center. I'm told it needs a touch of paint and it will be getting new wheels and tires. No other details of refurbishment list.
  • Silence...
  • 1/22 I emailed my delivery specialist and used car sales advisor for an update. Got a standard "Not ready yet" reply, no delivery date estimate. Advisor states he has sent a message to service team but no reply yet
  • Silence....
I'm trying not to be "that guy" with my two representatives at Tesla. I'm giving plenty of time for replies and only email every other week. I fear my anxiety has gotten the better of me in during this 4 week wait...

Should I expect more contact?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
What is the average deposit to delivery time?
Am I just crazy?

Thanks guys, I love the Forum!!
Welcome to "Tesla World" the true definition of CONFUSION:D

All this talk about seeing the car before you put money down on it is just a waste of time. If you don't like it, take your business elsewhere...

Wow. Just listen to yourself.

I think you are being awfully rude and disrespectful telling other people what they should be satisfied with when they pay their hard earned money.

Your "advice" reminds me of one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes and it is not what Tesla should aspire to with their CPO program when someone has the audacity to want some information about a used car they want to buy...

Wow. Just listen to yourself.

I think you are being awfully rude and disrespectful telling other people what they should be satisfied with when they pay their hard earned money.

Your "advice" reminds me of one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes and it is not what Tesla should aspire to with their CPO program when someone has the audacity to want some information about a used car they want to buy...

good job taking my words out of context to prove your 90's seinfeld point, it is now 2018.

you seem to be having difficultly grasping the concept as well.

No hard earned money is paid if you take your business elsewhere.

Reactions: bnsfengineer
My comment was mainly directed at you, who for all I know have not even started the CPO process. So what anxiety/venting do you really have to do when you haven't even put the deposit down? You're just on the sidelines, playing backseat driver.

Do you realize how conceited it is for you to suggest that in order to express an opinion or discuss the CPO Program one must put down a deposit? If there is a backseat driver here, it is you telling other people how they should buy a used a car, what they should find acceptable, and what opinions they may express about the current process.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Do you realize how conceited it is for you to suggest that in order to express an opinion or discuss the CPO Program one must put down a deposit? If there is a backseat driver here, it is you telling other people how they should buy a used a car, what they should find acceptable, and what opinions they may express about the current process.

Thanks, but no thanks.

To have a full spec'd out Roadster in his signature, which doesn't come out for at least 2 years, and we probably don't even know as much about it as he has listed in his signature, just screams "look up here, I'm not small ABOVE the waist".

Ignore it, it will go away.

To have a full spec'd out Roadster in his signature, which doesn't come out for at least 2 years, and we probably don't even know as much about it as he has listed in his signature, just screams "look up here, I'm not small ABOVE the waist".

Ignore it, it will go away.
No soup for you!!!

By the way, you've just insulted yourself and everyone else with their car spec sigs.

Last edited: