Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Back Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought my Tesla Model 3, and now I have a large crack in the back window. Spoke with Tesla representative and he said that the glass is not covered under warranty.

I have not had an accident and not sure how this crack happened.

Any suggestions?

I recently bought my Tesla Model 3, and now I have a large crack in the back window. Spoke with Tesla representative and he said that the glass is not covered under warranty.

I have not had an accident and not sure how this crack happened.

Any suggestions?
Model 3 have been known to be subject to "Stress Cracks" in the roof and back glass areas. I would go that angle with your SC and customer support.

I'd stop by a Service Center just to have them take a look and determine that it will be a warranty issue. If it is truly a stress crack, there will be on evidence of any impact but if you wait too long it may crack more and maybe something that looks like an impact could occur.

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
Yes, stop by a SC and ask them to confirm if it is a stress crack or an impact crack. I had my center roof glass break while I was away, was sitting in my garage the whole time. They took 10 seconds to look at it and said yep we'll replace it. 3 weeks later I had my appt and it was fixed. The guy even told me that he's seen the back glass crack like that but never the center roof one.

I'd stop by a Service Center just to have them take a look and determine that it will be a warranty issue. If it is truly a stress crack, there will be on evidence of any impact but if you wait too long it may crack more and maybe something that looks like an impact could occur.
I tried to have Costa Mesa take a look but they said it will not be possible as they only look at cars with appointments.

Yes, stop by a SC and ask them to confirm if it is a stress crack or an impact crack. I had my center roof glass break while I was away, was sitting in my garage the whole time. They took 10 seconds to look at it and said yep we'll replace it. 3 weeks later I had my appt and it was fixed. The guy even told me that he's seen the back glass crack like that but never the center roof one.
Yes now they are not looking at cars without appointment. I could just go and see if someone can take a look.

My car formed a crack in the rear glass window this past week as well. Here is what it looks like. I have a service appointment in several days here in Brooklyn. There was no known impact to the glass, and it is not in area that typicall gets hit by flying materials from the roads. I'm hoping Tesla will do the replacement quickly and without cost to me. I'm curious to know if anyone had any issues with getting this resolved with their vehicles?

IMG_5275.jpeg

Washed my M3 yesterday, afterwards parked it in garage. Went out to wax it few minutes ago and noticed giant 24” crack in rear window developed overnight, in the garage.

Went to maintenance support APP and scheduled mobile service to come look at it. Anybody have an idea of repair/replacement cost if Tesla won’t Cover it?
16B12E8C-E29A-40EC-9D8C-6CD64D17495D.jpeg
Car is 6 months old.

Washed my M3 yesterday, afterwards parked it in garage. Went out to wax it few minutes ago and noticed giant 24” crack in rear window developed overnight, in the garage.

Went to maintenance support APP and scheduled mobile service to come look at it. Anybody have an idea of repair/replacement cost if Tesla won’t Cover it?View attachment 420060 Car is 6 months old.

Tesla asked me no questions when I reported it to them. I just mentioned the crack formed while parked and there was no known impact. In the end, I had a 0 dollar receipt. They did say that between labor and parts the cost was around 1000.