Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked sunroof caused by tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever heard of the piece of glass above the front seats cracking as a result of being tinted? My tint guy has 30 years experience and says he never tints sunroofs because they can break and he won't accept liability for it. from what I can gather reading the forums the past several months this doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone. I don't see the difference between the "sunroof" and the giant piece of glass in the back except for it has the iridescent color being discussed in another thread. Appreciate any feedback...

Not as a result of tinting but some folks have had a problem with the glass roof of the Model 3 developing a crack - seemingly related to higher temperatures. Of course it gets replaced under warranty but something to think about if tinting.

Interesting. I did a ceramic tint as well. I wonder if it has to do with the heat reflection versus absorption and the IR baked into the glass? Thinking maybe I should hold off for a couple weeks now until there is a clear consensus.

Did some poking around and it seems this is an old myth, started around Plexi or laminated glass. One poster even said he perpetuates this misinformation because they're a PITA - messy consoles and solution in their eyes plus risk of water falling into electronics commonly found on consoles of ICE cars, or more problematic - our touchscreens.

Starting to feel like my guy is pulling my leg since he went through 4 sheets of film trying to do the back window alone (even though I told him it was impossible). He had to keep the car overnight and enlist more help, then he was rushing out the door when I got there .He's probably like eff this car I'm over it. Pissed because he quoted me $450 for the "whole car" and then says "we never do sunroofs due to cracking". Seems he should've mentioned that beforehand vs waiting til it was a day later and he lost time/ money on the deal. I think he was just over it.

I actually got this pulled on me at the last minute too, but my quote for the whole car in the beginning already excluded the sunroof portion and I had that as additional. The tint guy just said no he wouldn't do it when he showed up and that I had to take it elsewhere. To be fair though, I don't run into a lot of heat issues on my model S, so I will try driving it around with everything else tinted and if the heat through the sunroof is still an issue I will try getting that piece tinted later.

My guy tinted the back in 2 pieces when I specifically asked for 1 piece. After the fact he stated they dont make 60 inch ceramic tint and that if I wanted it done in 1 piece I need to find the manufacturer and he will order it and re tint. I called another shop that tinted my buddy's 3 and they use solar gard so he ordered a roll and is going to re tint Monday. Pretty pissed abt the whole situation esp them having to strip the old out and redo. Oh and he scratched the outside chrome on both sides which he is going to buff out Monday also... I only paid 325 but u get what u pay for I guess.

My guy tinted the back in 2 pieces when I specifically asked for 1 piece. After the fact he stated they dont make 60 inch ceramic tint and that if I wanted it done in 1 piece I need to find the manufacturer and he will order it and re tint. I called another shop that tinted my buddy's 3 and they use solar gard so he ordered a roll and is going to re tint Monday. Pretty pissed abt the whole situation esp them having to strip the old out and redo. Oh and he scratched the outside chrome on both sides which he is going to buff out Monday also... I only paid 325 but u get what u pay for I guess.

I don't think you can buff scratches out of the chrome? Maybe I'm wrong.

We've been tinting sunroofs on Teslas since we got our first one in 2012. No issues with cracking. I can see maybe if a tinter accidentally heats the glass up for too long in 1 spot, but if you mean it cracking several months/years down the road, we've never had that issue.

It already has IR rejection if I recall correctly so I'm not sure what you'd be adding.

here's a fun post: Experiment: 3M Crystalline Tint Makes ZERO Difference in Cabin Temp | Tesla

That post is stupid. Leaving your car out in the sun with tint doesn't make it a fridge. The ambient heat still affects the car, the air still gets into the car, the metal still heats up, the glass still heats up. The only thing tint does it block the direct heat from the sun as it is coming in. So it makes you more comfortable while you drive.