Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked Windshield and Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I was driving on the 405 in a construction zone at about 35 MPH when I heard a POP and to my shock I noticed a huge crack in my windshield. I was unable to see the point of impact from whatever hit me I pulled off and noticed 2 impact points, one on windshield and one on roof. The windshield spawned an immediate 18” crack. The roof has a chip that is spidering out. Looks like I will have to have both replaced.

I contacted Tesla through the app and got an appointment. Then got ahold of my insurance and they confirmed only Tesla can do the replacements so all OEM items will be used and 100% covered minus the deductible. The service center also reached out to me and asked for clarification about both needing replacement and at that time asked for an estimate to provide to insurance prior to appointment they said no problem and it will be emailed to me today.

I must say I have heard a lot of negativity about the service experience but I have had 100% opposite of all the postings on here with my local service center.

Attachments

• 6188EA74-530F-40DA-8E3E-B99179E58E0C.jpeg
    6188EA74-530F-40DA-8E3E-B99179E58E0C.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 32676498-8615-41FA-A5E7-6602D0E02A05.jpeg
    32676498-8615-41FA-A5E7-6602D0E02A05.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 196
My post is not a joke and I can tell you for other minor issues I had they have done better than many other dealers. I have no reason to believe that the service team will meet my needs on the first attempt since I have not had any reason to believe otherwise. I threw in the bit about my experience since I have only read negative reports, yet I have experienced the total opposite.

Yes, my other service items were for minor things like alignment of steering wheel and TPS sensor issue but they fixed those items same day in fact in under 3 hrs. This is the first major item(s) I am bringing the car in for but the experience so far has been the same as my others, Prompt response and correspondence from the center.

I am really stunned that whatever hit my car requires the whole roof being replaced And that instantly the 18” crack appears on the windshield.

Reactions: IWRBR and Nolakai
^^^Useless, inflammatory post. Why not wait until the OP lives through his experience and reposts?

...unless your post, "...is a joke people..."
Lol I did mean that. My post was the joke not his. Read it again but try not to take it seriously. I guess it's lost in text because the delivery isnt there maybe. Sorry.

Kind of made it even more funny for me because I tried to point out it's a joke by literally writing it's a joke so a potentially serious person didn't interpret it wrong. Literally it was a joke. Take that line literally. There was no insult. I wrote this is a joke and it still happened.

I apologize

Last edited:
My post is not a joke and I can tell you for other minor issues I had they have done better than many other dealers. I have no reason to believe that the service team will meet my needs on the first attempt since I have not had any reason to believe otherwise. I threw in the bit about my experience since I have only read negative reports, yet I have experienced the total opposite.

Yes, my other service items were for minor things like alignment of steering wheel and TPS sensor issue but they fixed those items same day in fact in under 3 hrs. This is the first major item(s) I am bringing the car in for but the experience so far has been the same as my others, Prompt response and correspondence from the center.

I am really stunned that whatever hit my car requires the whole roof being replaced And that instantly the 18” crack appears on the windshield.

I broke my roof already also but I have a 3. A rock hit my windshield then bounced on the roof. My windshield didn't break it just got like a tiny surface chip. Happened within the first few months of ownership. Hasn't happened again.

@P3dStealth No worries… Now I see!

It looks like a similar thing happened on mine or other debris like a bolt.

How was the process in getting the roof replaced? Did they have it in stock? How long did it take to get if not stocked? Also how long did the replacement process take?

I really wish the roof glass was not on the same plane as the windshield and I think this would not be an issue. I was really surprised by the sound when the debris hit the car it was a really loud pop like a ballon.

Ha yes the sound made me jump. It was abnormally loud and the rock was small. At the time I was scared that it was going to be a common problem but it hasn't happened again since.

They didn't have it in stock. I assume it came from California so it's prob quick for you. It took me a month. Then they kept the car 3 days when I dropped it off. I am not sure if it was just sitting in the parking lot 3 days waiting to be worked on or if they keep it till the window weld sets or something. They gave me Uber credits to go home and pickup the car. They also washed it which made me think they would always do that but it has not happened again.

Lol I did mean that. My post was the joke not his. Read it again but try not to take it seriously. I guess it's lost in text because the delivery isnt there maybe. Sorry.

Kind of made it even more funny for me because I tried to point out it's a joke by literally writing it's a joke so a potentially serious person didn't interpret it wrong. Literally it was a joke. Take that line literally. There was no insult. I wrote this is a joke and it still happened.

I apologize
HAHAHA! I read your line literally, "...this is a joke people..." to mean the OP's expectations were a joke!

Yes, the written word, especially online, is easily misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

Another update:

Tesla has been super responsive and provided a quote well in advance of my appointment so I can provide it to my insurance. Also they ordered all parts in advance, surprisingly only thing not in stock was windshield.

Now, here is where the frustration has been, with the insurance company.... Originally I submitted a glass claim that statefarm subs out. Got the process going to find that they only send remitted payment and Tesla, since not a body shop, can't accept direct payment...This lead me to now have wasted 3 days.

Now I have had to submit a regular claim and wait for the to tell me how much they will cover. Also I spoke with a Tesla approved body shop and they told me it would be = or more than what Tesla quoted directly and that it would take 2x longer... I am really frustrated with the insurance handling of this.

Another interesting item is that Tesla plans to replace the High and Low PT refrigerant sensors. Was this a recall?

Not a recall but an engineering change program. Tesla will preemptively replace the PT sensors in those vehicles with sensors that are likely to fail even if the sensors have not yet failed. This affects some but not all 2020 and 2021 Model Y vehicles, only Tesla can determine if your vehicle has PT sensors that need to be replaced.

Reactions: Eric9610
Not a recall but an engineering change program. Tesla will preemptively replace the PT sensors in those vehicles with sensors that are likely to fail even if the sensors have not yet failed. This affects some but not all 2020 and 2021 Model Y vehicles, only Tesla can determine if your vehicle has PT sensors that need to be replaced.
Good to know, just caught me off guard on parts ordered...

Quick question because I have read conflicting info, is a service appointment still required for camera calibration when windshields are replaced? I am asking because safelight can do the windshield for $700 about $500 less than Tesla with OEM glass.

Has anyone had experience with this recently?