Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise (control arm again!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My L & R compliance links were priced differently.

1708523806654.png

Reactions: cdswm3
The part numbers are different. One has a 54 in the part # the other has a 59 in the number. Left and right are different. They do sell more of one side as some people only replace one side. I would do both together but that is not always the case.
Yes I know, they are sided as I already pointed out, but in the UK they are identical costs and all the aftermarket versions are identical costs L and R.
You're telling me one side outsells the other by enough to make that much different in the price? I find it odd, but if others are seeing a difference then so be it.

Yes I know, they are sided as I already pointed out, but in the UK they are identical costs and all the aftermarket versions are identical costs L and R.
You're telling me one side outsells the other by enough to make that much different in the price? I find it odd, but if others are seeing a difference then so be it.
It's true. Maybe the UK is the same but not in North America.

This happened to me a couple years ago. There are a number of YouTube videos for injecting grease under/through the rubber seal. I'm sure you can find them doing a quick search. You might need to buy the grease gun and needle to do it, but that's going to be way cheaper than replacing them. I'm out of warranty now, so I'll give it a try if it happens again.
This literally started happening to my 2018 LR M3 RWD with ~71K mi. this past Thursday. It became embarrassingly loud within a mere 3 mile drive. Yikes. My awesome EV sounded like an old rust bucket. I immediately came on this forum to research it, as well as YouTube. It seemed the upper control arms were the culprit. Along with that I also saw a few videos demonstrating a few quick DIY fixes. Injecting grease into the rubber boots of the upper control arms or removing the wheel and removing a bolt from the knuckle area and articulating the joint manually to redistribute the inner grease were the two main cheap DIY fixes. So I went to AutoZone, bought a $8 red grease tube, a $20 grease gun, and a $5 grease gun needle attachment. I followed the instructions in the video below, but I was able to reach the grease depleted rubber boots (see attached before and after photos) while the car was parked normally, so no need to lift.

After filling up both front upper control arm rubber boots, I tried massaging the grease around with my fingers. The sound was minimized, but still there. Made a Service appointment in case my DIY fix didn’t work. Closest appointment was a week, so I had that long to figure something out. BUT after driving around over the weekend, about 100-150 miles, it started going away little by little. I think being rough with the suspension helped, so maybe going over a few speed bumps or a bumpy road might help spread the grease around. Now, Monday just three days after the sound started, it’s completely gone. :) Canceled my service appointment. Out of warranty repairs don’t have to suck. Good luck fellow DIYers.

Attachments

• IMG_5702 copy.jpg
    IMG_5702 copy.jpg
    470 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5707 copy.jpg
    IMG_5707 copy.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 3