Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking noise (control arm again!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off…I love my LR 2018 Model 3… BUT the creaking sound is back…again. The creaking sound is most noticeable while parking (slow speed). Happened before x2 and so I’m pretty confident it’s the control arms. I have had the control arms replaced twice. Is this a common problem that I should just tap out to or is Tesla offering some kind of rebate for frequent come back customers! If not, any recommendations for independent mechanics in the GTA or surrounding area to help with cost control over this frequent problem.

Reactions: corlaandstan
What does it cost for parts and labour? It’s not a ton of work if you’re handy or know a mechanic. I assume they finally have newer part revisions that don’t get this issue?
Need to check my invoices but I’m guessing below 1k. During my research on this I remember reading someone say that this is probably one of the most common reasons for bringing your Tesla to the mechanic. I’ll take a look at buying the parts perhaps and finding an independent mechanic. Thanks.

Need to check my invoices but I’m guessing below 1k. During my research on this I remember reading someone say that this is probably one of the most common reasons for bringing your Tesla to the mechanic. I’ll take a look at buying the parts perhaps and finding an independent mechanic. Thanks.
Yeah you should be able to do a parts request right in the app. Tesla parts are usually pretty reasonable.

If it were me I’d create a request asking if it’s under warranty (seeing as it was fixed before) and if not, what the parts and labour costs are.

Reactions: Bytor
First off…I love my LR 2018 Model 3… BUT the creaking sound is back…again. The creaking sound is most noticeable while parking (slow speed). Happened before x2 and so I’m pretty confident it’s the control arms. I have had the control arms replaced twice. Is this a common problem that I should just tap out to or is Tesla offering some kind of rebate for frequent come back customers! If not, any recommendations for independent mechanics in the GTA or surrounding area to help with cost control over this frequent problem.

I just got my LH and RH upper control arms replaced on my 2018 model 3 in September and it cost me 263$ and I think the labour was free. I wasn't under warranty so maybe it's worth trying to get a quote via app.

I think the prices have increased on everything parts and service related. I remember when Tesla was a company that wanted to help their customer. If it's happening repeatedly it might be worth getting a second opinion and possibly a different version of that part.

This happened to me a couple years ago. There are a number of YouTube videos for injecting grease under/through the rubber seal. I'm sure you can find them doing a quick search. You might need to buy the grease gun and needle to do it, but that's going to be way cheaper than replacing them. I'm out of warranty now, so I'll give it a try if it happens again.

Reactions: Cyber-Rhino
Had both front uppers done on my 2018 RWD long range. Invoice indicates they replaced both upper arms and ball joints and then sealed the ball joints with urethane. The urethane sealant is to prevent water intrusion And subsequent corrosion.

Reactions: Skavatar
Just an update on my situation. Took to service in Mississauga and at first the quote was for control arms and then they came back to advise the bushings were cracked and the entire lateral links needed to be replaced. 3k ouch.
3k is a lot to replace a pair of links. What's the breakdown of the estimate?

3k is a lot to replace a pair of links. What's the breakdown of the estimate?
FRONT LOWER
COMPLIANCE LINK
ASSEMBLY - Left and RIGHT
HAND

FRONT BRACKET-
STABILIZER BAR
BUSHING (left:right)

4 wheel alignment

Blah blah blah

About $1700 parts
$900 labour

Judging by the clientele walking in and out during my wait…I was a bit worried with the amount of anger being directed at the staff …some not so happy Tesla owners arguing around both service issues and money issues. Felt bad for the staff.

Reactions: Skavatar
That's nowhere near $1700 in parts. Please post the actual estimate with part numbers and itemised costs.

Part Quantity Unit Price Price Adjustment Subtotal
LOWER LATERAL LINK
- FRONT(1044341-00-D)
1.00 395.00 395.00 0.00 395.00

FRONT BRACKET-
STABILIZER BAR
BUSHING(1188383-00-
A)
1.00 25.00 25.00 0.00 25.00
LOWER LATERAL LINK
- FRONT(1044341-00-D)
1.00 395.00 395.00

FRONT LOWER
COMPLIANCE LINK
ASSEMBLY - LEFT
HAND(1044354-00-A)
1.00 375.00 375.00 0.00 375.00

Part Quantity Unit Price Price Adjustment Subtotal
FRONT LOWER
COMPLIANCE LINK
ASSEMBLY - RIGHT
HAND(1044359-00-A)
1.00 410.00 410.00 0.00 410.00

Correction: Four Wheel Alignment
Check and Adjust
Labor Hours Price Adjustment Subtotal
1.92 330.00 0.00 330.00

Sorry tried to cut and paste from my invoice.

Ok so it's both sets of lower links they've quoted for but it still doesn't make sense. Why is one comp link $375 and the other $410?
Just realised also this is Canadian $...
As with brakes there are aftermarket parts available which are much cheaper than Tesla's if you want to save money. I just replaced my M3LR compliance links with quality pattern parts made in the EU and they were less than $100 each.

4 wheel alignment may not even be needed after replacing those parts. Just do an EPAS check in the hidden service menu and it will tell you if you need alignment.

IMO that's an inflated invoice and good reason to buy parts yourself and get an independent shop to fit them

Last edited:
Just for reference, we pay the equivalent of CA$230 for a compliance link in the UK and CA$320 for a lateral link. That's not including 20% sales tax, but a quick Google suggests that's only 5% where you are, so that makes the gap even bigger!
Part numbers are exactly the same and they probably come from the same factory.
I'd love to hear Tesla's explanation for charging you different prices for what is essentially the same part (left comp. link is just a mirror of the right one).

Just for reference, we pay the equivalent of CA$230 for a compliance link in the UK and CA$320 for a lateral link. That's not including 20% sales tax, but a quick Google suggests that's only 5% where you are, so that makes the gap even bigger!
Part numbers are exactly the same and they probably come from the same factory.
I'd love to hear Tesla's explanation for charging you different prices for what is essentially the same part (left comp. link is just a mirror of the right one).
I is not uncommon for the L and R part to be different prices on car parts. It may have to do with the different number sold of the L and R. My daughters Hyundai Elantra had two different prices for L and R brake calipers.

I is not uncommon for the L and R part to be different prices on car parts. It may have to do with the different number sold of the L and R. My daughters Hyundai Elantra had two different prices for L and R brake calipers.
I don't think so. I have an estimate here with the same part numbers and the same price for each. And those arms are usually replaced in pairs so unlikley they have sold more of one.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
I don't think so. I have an estimate here with the same part numbers and the same price for each. And those arms are usually replaced in pairs so unlikley they have sold more of one.
The part numbers are different. One has a 54 in the part # the other has a 59 in the number. Left and right are different. They do sell more of one side as some people only replace one side. I would do both together but that is not always the case.