Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking Noise from Headliner Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben W

Chess Grandmaster (Supervised)
Feb 27, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
Ever since I got my Sig P85 back from a windshield replacement a couple months ago, the headliner above the passenger area has been creaking/clicking loudly while driving. The car was just in for its 3-year servicing, and the techs claimed (to my great surprise) not to hear anything, so I'll have to bring it back again. Here is a dashcam video where you can hear the loud clicking noises, particularly at 0:05 and 1:26. (The odd noise at 0:20 is me fiddling with the dashcam.) No creaking from 0:15 to 1:15 while the car is stopped at a red light.

Tesla Model S Headliner Creaking/Clicking - YouTube

Have any of you experienced an issue like this? Any suggestions what might be causing it, or how I might try to fix it myself? Opening the sunroof doesn't affect it, and I've verified (by removing it) that the noise is not coming from the dashcam unit itself.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Could it be the cable for the dashcam that lose inside the headliner?

That was my initial thought, but no. The headliner makes the same noise when the dashcam (+ cable) are removed. In any case, the dashcam is now attached to the 12v continuous power in the microphone compartment (early VIN), so it's a very short run and doesn't go horizontally through the headliner.

check the visor, my mirrors in the visor was the culprit.

I thought about that too, but the clicking persists even when the visors/mirrors are unfolded all the way open. Since it started happening just after they replaced my windshield, I suspect that it's something around the windshield frame that didn't get put back together quite right.

I thought about that too, but the clicking persists even when the visors/mirrors are unfolded all the way open. Since it started happening just after they replaced my windshield, I suspect that it's something around the windshield frame that didn't get put back together quite right.
it's not the position of the visor it is either the mirror or cover that is loose.

it's not the position of the visor it is either the mirror or cover that is loose.

I tried swiveling the entire visor to be next to the passenger window, and the creak is still coming from the headliner area (determined by a passenger), definitively not from the visor. I'll take it in to the service center and drive with a tech to determine where' it's actually coming from.

Had a similar issue. The service center just installed foam tape or something insulative. Problem went away.

So I took a tech for a test drive today, and the tentative diagnosis is "A-Pillar creak", which is apparently common on early-VIN cars. The car will go in later this week for fixing. No doubt foam tape will solve it; the tricky part is disassembling the dash to get in there!

If you push up on the front the sunroof in the center does it reproduce the creaking noise when the roof is closed? It did for me, and they had to insulate that metal tab that sticks out the front of the sunroof when opens.

I had a bunch of sunroof creaking when I first got the car (which Tesla fixed after several tries), but this is different. The current creaking noise happens whether the sunroof is open or closed, and is coming from quite a bit forward of the sunroof. When they do fix it, I'll find out exactly what the cause is.

Did you ever resolve this issue? Immediately after a windshield replacement due to defect at the service center, this started happening to me. Exact same sound.

Visit to the service center seemed to help a bit, but now it's back again after driving for an hour or so. It's very apparent while driving.

2016 P90D, Refreshed Model S

Did you ever resolve this issue? Immediately after a windshield replacement due to defect at the service center, this started happening to me. Exact same sound.

Visit to the service center seemed to help a bit, but now it's back again after driving for an hour or so. It's very apparent while driving.

2016 P90D, Refreshed Model S

I finally found the cause of the noise in my headliner! There are several velcro strips holding the healiner in place. in my case they don't connect. The two pieces of velcro barely touch and cause the noise when driving. I tried to push the entire headliner up but the velcro pieces do not hold it in place. It just sits a little lower. I was able to get rid of the noise by putting a small piece of foam between the velcro pieces.