Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking/Squeaking control arm ball joint fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yah, that's not it. And those, you can easily lubricate with a can of spray.
I greased the ball joint and I lubricated the sensor arms. And I drove about 50 miles the past couple of days. Still squeaking like crazy. Any more guesses? The car does have 100,000 miles on it.

Edit: think I will disconnect the ball joint and swivel it around by hand a few times to get the grease distributed. See if that does the trick.

Last edited:
I greased the ball joint and I lubricated the sensor arms. And I drove about 50 miles the past couple of days. Still squeaking like crazy. Any more guesses? The car does have 100,000 miles on it.

Edit: think I will disconnect the ball joint and swivel it around by hand a few times to get the grease distributed. See if that does the trick.
Did you inject into the lower ball joint? If so did you have to take the wheel off?

Just want to thank everyone who helped with this. I was persistent and greased everything up noted in this thread. Upper and lower arms (and boot injected) and after a few miles of driving the quacking has gone away! sc wanted to charge me $2000. I injected around 5/6ml into each boot.

Attachments

• IMG_9099.jpeg
    IMG_9099.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9101.jpeg
    IMG_9101.jpeg
    563.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9098.jpeg
    IMG_9098.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 89
Just want to thank everyone who helped with this. I was persistent and greased everything up noted in this thread. Upper and lower arms (and boot injected) and after a few miles of driving the quacking has gone away! sc wanted to charge me $2000. I injected around 5/6ml into each boot.
Glad we could help. Sorry I was AWOL for a couple days, sewer lateral to my home broke :-(

Just curious, what oil/grease did you use? That looks really runny?

Yes, have put 30+ miles on it. Overfilled the boots such that grease squirted back out of the needle hole. About ready to take your approach and hose it all down with grease...
Still have my appointment with the service center, so eventually they will get their shot at it too, if I can't fix it first.
My concern is how runny that grease is. You should have seen an improvement with it, however, that isn't good for long term.
Can you attach a video/recording of the noise? Possibly prop the camera/phone on the curb or driveway pointing at the wheels and go back and fourth.

My concern is how runny that grease is. You should have seen an improvement with it, however, that isn't good for long term.
Can you attach a video/recording of the noise? Possibly prop the camera/phone on the curb or driveway pointing at the wheels and go back and fourth.
xmodx has the runny grease photo. I only injected grease into the ball joints.
And mine doesn't make any noise when I just turn the steering wheel. Squeaks/creaks when going over bumps.

xmodx has the runny grease photo. I only injected grease into the ball joints.
And mine doesn't make any noise when I just turn the steering wheel. Squeaks/creaks when going over bumps.
Ah, thanks, keeping track of too many threads and people within threads :)
Without seeing it, maybe the stabilizer? I'll think more on this. Any chance it could be the rears?