Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking tailgate - mobile technician visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Notts SC on Friday to have the pads replaced on an MYP due to "clicking" on braking - pads were moving slightly but the new set fixed it. At the same time they proactively adjusted the tailgate bump stops and lubricated the seals to resolve the issue reported above - albeit I hadn't noticed it much to be fair. Jan 23 car ex China.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Oh no worries, just look for the rubber.. err seals (not sure how else to describe it) that are on the car itself (not on boot lid).

Not sure if that helps, but if not I can take some pictures next time I’m at my car.
Think I know the ones ya mean. Had a bit grope of mine, be surprised if that’s where my noise was coming from. I’m thinking more the hard plastic on the underside of the hatch.

I was at Notts SC on Friday to have the pads replaced on an MYP due to "clicking" on braking - pads were moving slightly but the new set fixed it. At the same time they proactively adjusted the tailgate bump stops and lubricated the seals to resolve the issue reported above - albeit I hadn't noticed it much to be fair. Jan 23 car ex China.
Aye, my MY is a June 23 but creaks like mad from the back. Might just do an SC app.

Think I know the ones ya mean. Had a bit grope of mine, be surprised if that’s where my noise was coming from. I’m thinking more the hard plastic on the underside of the hatch.
I was very surprised as well. But Like Jason71 mentioned, Autoglym along all the seals (I did all the doors as well) did the trick.

I apply it every 2-3 months but probably doesn't need it that frequently.

By the way, I did take it into the SC and they didn't / couldn't fix it.

IMG_20240205_125526504.jpg
IMG_20240205_125554564.jpg

If you push on the closed tailgate just above the lights you can create the noise for elimination of doubt. I was driving myself nuts until the SC tech cam out and went straight to it!! I was convinced it was the rear doors/windows. Its a known issue and he said in the US owners have been removing the rubber from under the tailgate (you can see the fabric tape is slightly shiny in photo) from contact. Early Y's did not have this rubber seal.

If you push on the closed tailgate just above the lights you can create the noise for elimination of doubt. I was driving myself nuts until the SC tech cam out and went straight to it!! I was convinced it was the rear doors/windows. Its a known issue and he said in the US owners have been removing the rubber from under the tailgate (you can see the fabric tape is slightly shiny in photo) from contact. Early Y's did not have this rubber seal.
Interesting idea; I have a thin reel of this same tape so will have to give it a clean up and try. Presumably it holds water though?

I was very surprised as well. But Like Jason71 mentioned, Autoglym along all the seals (I did all the doors as well) did the trick.

I apply it every 2-3 months but probably doesn't need it that frequently.

By the way, I did take it into the SC and they didn't / couldn't fix it.
SC apps now just seem a massive chew on. Just requested one there and they want the car in but not going to provide a loaner! Fair enough if they only want it an hour or so and I can sit in the wasting room but if they’re taking it in for the day or more, then that’s a different story

If you push on the closed tailgate just above the lights you can create the noise for elimination of doubt. I was driving myself nuts until the SC tech cam out and went straight to it!! I was convinced it was the rear doors/windows. It’s a known issue and he said in the US owners have been removing the rubber from under the tailgate (you can see the fabric tape is slightly shiny in photo) from contact. Early Y's did not have this rubber seal.
Did the push, yup that’s the noise. So it’s those seals down the sides of the tailgate. You wouldn’t think something so obscure could cause so much racket!

Reactions: Cnixon