Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaky Window Seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I spent some time cleaning and polishing all the glass yesterday, and then today I've hoovered, washed, and protected all of the interiour, including the shuts and seals. This was with Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber care (it's all I've got). The end result is that the car looks and smells great, but now the rubber seals have a bit of 'stiction' against the glass, so they crack/creak/rattle whenever I go over any bump.

What product would you recommend to restore the silence to my windows?

Cheers!

Fairy Liquid? dilute with a little water. Thats what i would try to begin with.
Fairy liquid is harmful to rubber if I remember correctly.

I've found the thread I was looking for. The stuff that many talk about is Gummi Pflege Stift ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Stick-Postage/dp/B007TNOQDI ). Might see if I can find that anyway. I wonder if that was already applied to the car in the factory but all the cleaning has stripped it and left them extra grippy.

Reactions: TM3PTN
Gummi Plefge, or silicone grease.

I would add that it's worth taking care to use it sparingly and polish it off otherwise the glass will end up with a visibly "greasy" edge ... actually that's probably inevitable to some extent but after a few polishes you can end up with clean glass AND adequately lubricated seals. Funnily enough it's a job that I need to do again too (the last treatment lasted about 6 months).

Reactions: Roy W.
Yeah I saw that thanks. It seems that the formula changed from silicone based to water based and it's no longer as good. Getting ahold of it is a bit tricky too, so I wonder if the Sonax stuff is just the same stuff?
Both nextzett and the Sonax stuff seem to be in stock on Amazon. Looking at the ingredients on the bottle of Sonax that I have and an ingredients list for nextzett, I think they are almost identical.

In my experience, you need to reapply the stuff every couple of months to eliminate the squeaks.

Both nextzett and the Sonax stuff seem to be in stock on Amazon. Looking at the ingredients on the bottle of Sonax that I have and an ingredients list for nextzett, I think they are almost identical.

In my experience, you need to reapply the stuff every couple of months to eliminate the squeaks.

Reapplication is fine with me, as it seems to be a simple 5 min task. It's my own fault. I introduced the squeaks by trating all the seals to the autoglym vinyl/rubber care stuff. Nativity on my part having not had frame less windows before now.

I have had the same issue. It was driving me up the wall. I waxed the frame and door in all the places where it contacts the seal.s put Gummi Plefge and rainXed the top inside top of the window. no idea which bit fixed it but fixed it but it did fix it. no idea how long it will last. That was about 3 weeks ago.
note that the most important place to put it seems to be on the top seal up behind the chrome trim where the window goes after you close the door. The gummi applicator does not fit up there so you need to put some on a cloth.

I have had the same issue. It was driving me up the wall. I waxed the frame and door in all the places where it contacts the seal.s put Gummi Plefge and rainXed the top inside top of the window. no idea which bit fixed it but fixed it but it did fix it. no idea how long it will last. That was about 3 weeks ago.
note that the most important place to put it seems to be on the top seal up behind the chrome trim where the window goes after you close the door. The gummi applicator does not fit up there so you need to put some on a cloth.

Thanks for that. I saw your posts in the other thread. I feel bad ordering it from Amazon at this time, and it's not like I'm in the cart much, so it might have to wait for a while. We'll see.