Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit Unions with good rates that accept applicants anywhere within the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep getting declined for USSFCU memberhsip application. Any idea why? I called and they could not tell me the reason. I did the ACC certificate. Maybe it is not for a permanent resident? Anyone else got declined?
When I called them to they asked a few due digilence questions: One was if I was a USA citizen, and another if I had citizenship in another country. I don't know if that affects eligibility or not.

I'm thinking of buying a used car from a private party seller. It looks like US Senate FCU doesn't finance private party sell vehicles.

I'm wondering if I could get a loan with a different lender (that has a higher interest rate) and then refinance with US Senate FCU after a few weeks? Would that be a reasonable workaround or would US Senate FCU still see that the car was originally sold from a private party seller and not do a refi?

I applied for the loan on 5/2, and they called me about an hour later stating I had been approved and that they'll call me the next day with instructions on what to do next. Today is 5/6 and I still haven't received the day. When I lookup my application online, it says approved.

How long does it normally take to receive the next step instructions? Should I message them via that application status page?

I got an email asking me to call them to answer some "due diligence" questions about a week after I submitted my membership application. Then I applied for a loan the next day after my membership approval and it took maybe 4 business days until I got a phone call notifying me of the loan approval.

Reactions: kopo
I got an email asking me to call them to answer some "due diligence" questions about a week after I submitted my membership application. Then I applied for a loan the next day after my membership approval and it took maybe 4 business days until I got a phone call notifying me of the loan approval.
Thank you for that info. Gives me a better understanding of the time line. It's been about a week for me. Sent a follow up message, email, and called. They didn't have any updates on the phone.

Thank you for that info. Gives me a better understanding of the time line. It's been about a week for me. Sent a follow up message, email, and called. They didn't have any updates on the phone.
You're welcome! I think they're getting hammered by Tesla buyers because of their interest rate so it's not a fast process now. But totally worth it to get 3.49% for 48 months.

When I got my loan approval, the woman said that their interest rates will increase on June 1. Really hoping my current delivery window is accurate so I don't have to re-apply and possibly get a higher interest rate.

Reactions: Bob2C and kopo
Great experience with USSFCU so far! Thanks to the helpful posts on this forum for understanding the process. The membership and loan approvals were very quick turnarounds for me, days or less each, and they are very quick to reach on the phone or messaging via the portal at any time. They sent me the final loan documents to sign minutes after I asked for them yesterday, and FedEx overnight'ed the check to me today, sending an image of the front and back via email. I'm scheduled to take delivery next Wednesday and I'm all set now with the financing aspect.

I'll admit I had some hesitation to using 3rd party financing when I was comparing it to the seamless experience of financing through Tesla (via Wells Fargo) in 2021, but USSFCU really made it a really nice and painless experience. Totally worth it to snag 3.74% for 60 months right now when the average rate is quite a bit higher.

Applied for USSFCU and for some reason they want to hard-pull my credit from Experian to open a savings account. They said if I apply for a car loan next week, they can count it as 1 hard pull since they'll have recently pulled my credit. Does anyone know how long the hard pull is good for (before I'd have to have a new one again)? Planning on buying a car mid-end of June. Never had a hard pull for opening up a bank account before...

Applied for USSFCU and for some reason they want to hard-pull my credit from Experian to open a savings account. They said if I apply for a car loan next week, they can count it as 1 hard pull since they'll have recently pulled my credit. Does anyone know how long the hard pull is good for (before I'd have to have a new one again)? Planning on buying a car mid-end of June. Never had a hard pull for opening up a bank account before...
Thats going to vary from one institution to another. At DCU, a hard pull is good for 45 days.

To shed some light on the due diligence questions.
They asked things like, how many wire transfers do you plan doing, and what amount. How much cash you plan to deposit or withdraw in person. How many electronic transactions (like direct deposit/bill pay), and how much $.
They also do the standard identity/credit check questions like - it shows you opened a mortgage in 2000, who was it with. How much is your current loan payment for XYZ.

I applied for USSFCU auto loan this past Monday night and got approval in 2 days, but they don't show the rate. I put the bank info to Tesla app.
When did you guys get your rate from them? I think they need the purchase agreement with price but don't have one. I still don't have VIN yet and the delivery date is 5/21-6/13. Any advise?

I applied for USSFCU auto loan this past Monday night and got approval in 2 days, but they don't show the rate. I put the bank info to Tesla app.
When did you guys get your rate from them? I think they need the purchase agreement with price but don't have one. I still don't have VIN yet and the delivery date is 5/21-6/13. Any advise?
Were you a member before?

I had 2 phone calls with them. The 1st was the membership due diligence questions. The 2nd call was for the loan. The 2nd person told me I had been approved for the loan amount and interest rate.

You get the loan documents outlining the terms just before they send the check out. You need to give them the VIN and Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement along with your delivery date.

tell your SA you have 3rd party financing and the amount youre approved for, they will upload your MVPA with the bank and loan info into it after you have a VIN.

The rate I got was exactly the same rate shown on their website

I called in after not getting any paperwork for about 24 hours re: my new account applications.
The woman on the phone apologized, someone had a death in the family, and another on vacation - so they're a little backlogged.
That seemed to have done the trick though, got my application finalized. Set up my online account and just applied for the loan.

My delivery date is the 17th... heh a little nervous...