Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creep mode, safer? But does it effect range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I think I’m convinced that creep mode is safer. Mostly for tight areas, backing out if garage, Backing into a charger etc.

My thinking is, when backing out slowly in a tight spot. It’s better to have your foot on the brake. You let up, you move one in, you push back in and stop. If you have to move foot over to gas to get going, it takes to much time to get your foot back to brake with full depress. You’d move 6 inches.

In other words for slow tight spaces your driving “one footed” on the brake. For fast motions your one footed on the gas. With creep off, it’s two footed and can be slower and less precise.

It feels more natural and better control. Not because I’m used to ICE. In fact I always felt a manual shift (which I have always had) was super clumsy backing up, say precisely up a hill into a parking spot.

Now if the car let you drive two foot, you wouldn’t need it ;)

That all said, does creep really cost that much in regen?

Does the car slow more when you let up in gas with creep off. I don’t notice much difference. If you’re intention is to move forward creeping forward shouldn’t make any difference. But I can see possibly losing a little bit of regen in stop and go situations.

Good point. I turned creep mode off. I have a bit of an incline and a lip to enter my garage. With creep mode off it’s difficult to adjust the pedal for a smooth entry into my garage. I guess I could use summon but not sure if I want to at this point. Couldn’t imagine that it would be a huge loss in regen with creep mode on. The one disadvantage of creep mode is that you can’t start EAP if you’re stopped in traffic with creep mode enabled

Reactions: RBowen and mswlogo
I think I’m convinced that creep mode is safer. Mostly for tight areas, backing out if garage, Backing into a charger etc. My thinking is, when backing out slowly in a tight spot. It’s better to have your foot on the brake. You let up, you move one in, you push back in and stop. If you have to move foot over to gas to get going, it takes to much time to get your foot back to brake with full depress. You’d move 6 inches.

In other words for slow tight spaces your driving “one footed” on the brake. For fast motions your one footed on the gas. With creep off, it’s two footed and can be slower and less precise. It feels more natural and better control. Not because I’m used to ICE. In fact I always felt a manual shift (which I have always had) was super clumsy backing up, say precisely up a hill into a parking spot.

Now if the car let you drive two foot, you wouldn’t need it ;)That all said, does creep really cost that much in regen?
Does the car slow more when you let up in gas with creep off. I don’t notice much difference. If you’re intention is to move forward creeping forward shouldn’t make any difference. But I can see possibly losing a little bit of regen in stop and go situations.

Creep Mode is definitely safer for the reasons you mentioned. Absolutely no impact to your regen and range :cool:

All be very careful when you enable Creep Mode. On hectic morning I was dropping off our kids to school, we were late so obviously the stress level was high. At the drop off point I slowed to a stop BUT failed to put the parking brake on. With Creep Mode enabled the car continued to roll even though my car door was open! The car continued to roll forward until it bumped the car in the front. Fortunately no one was hurt. I would have thought if the car door was open it would have disabled the Creep Mode roll forward, it does not so be extra careful! We have since disabled Creep Mode and now enjoy the "Hold" feature when breaking for a few seconds.

We later conducted some tests with Creep Mode in a safe off road area and confirmed that the car WILL continue to roll forward as you open the driver door that contradicts with the owners manual as it states the car WILL STOP. So be very careful how you use this mode! I've reported it to Tesla, however no response yet!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RBowen
All be very careful when you enable Creep Mode. On hectic morning I was dropping off our kids to school, we were late so obviously the stress level was high. At the drop off point I slowed to a stop BUT failed to put the parking brake on. With Creep Mode enabled the car continued to roll even though my car door was open! The car continued to roll forward until it bumped the car in the front. Fortunately no one was hurt. I would have thought if the car door was open it would have disabled the Creep Mode roll forward, it does not so be extra careful! We have since disabled Creep Mode and now enjoy the "Hold" feature when breaking for a few seconds.

We later conducted some tests with Creep Mode in a safe off road area and confirmed that the car WILL continue to roll forward as you open the driver door that contradicts with the owners manual as it states the car WILL STOP. So be very careful how you use this mode! I've reported it to Tesla, however no response yet!

Even with an ICE vehicle. I always try to force myself to put it park no mater what when someone is getting in or out of a vehicle. Even if it’s going to be a quick hop.

Keep in mind an ICE Vehicle would have done the same. So it should be in your muscle memory. By any chance was this shortly after having run the car with creep off?

I would hope in your example that alarms would immediately blare if a door opens and not in park. There are a few rare cases I would want it to still allow moving. But I would expect an alarm.

One thing that is a little inconsistent is the first time you wake car, it needs throttle to move.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
I survived many years of backing into garages and parking spots on hills driving manual transmission cars having my feet on clutch and gas rather than the brake. I never hit anything. The first bit of travel on the 3's electron pedal is so gentle that I don't worry about this with creep off, either. I just always put brake hold on if I have to change directions or adjust so it doesn't drift a couple inches where I don't want it to.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I keep creep on, since it's pretty much what an ice vehicle would also do.
It's also good if a friend drives your car (assuming coming from ice) and they would already be accustomed to creep. One thing I didn't like when creep was off, was sometimes the car would roll backwards at stoplights or inclines, and it would freak me out when this occured.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
It's not an ICE vs. not ICE thing. It's a torque converter automatic thing.

Plenty of ICE vehicles out there have different transmissions that do not creep, just like a Tesla does not creep. Example, many dual-clutch sequential transmissions in performance ICEs do not creep.

There's really no difference in "safety" -- it's just a matter of what you're comfortable driving. We have no issues moving between the Tesla and our torque converter automatic equipped ICE, but if you find yourself doing the wrong thing in either vehicle, it's probably a good idea for you to keep creep on. That has no bearing on what's a good idea for others to do, though.

Thousands of "Unintended Acceleration"/"Pedal Confusion" incidents occur every year in cars equipped with automatic transmissions that creep. Creep Off is not a requirement for these incidents to occur.

Personally, I prefer my cars do not move forward unless I tell them to using the "go pedal", and I find the Tesla "go pedal" extremely easy to modulate at low speeds (it's fun to move the car forward at a snail's pace.. my ICE makes that way harder), but it's exactly that, a preference.

It's not an ICE vs. not ICE thing. It's a torque converter automatic thing.

Plenty of ICE vehicles out there have different transmissions that do not creep, just like a Tesla does not creep. Example, many dual-clutch sequential transmissions in performance ICEs do not creep.

There's really no difference in "safety" -- it's just a matter of what you're comfortable driving. We have no issues moving between the Tesla and our torque converter automatic equipped ICE, but if you find yourself doing the wrong thing in either vehicle, it's probably a good idea for you to keep creep on. That has no bearing on what's a good idea for others to do, though.

Thousands of "Unintended Acceleration"/"Pedal Confusion" incidents occur every year in cars equipped with automatic transmissions that creep. Creep Off is not a requirement for these incidents to occur.

Personally, I prefer my cars do not move forward unless I tell them to using the "go pedal", and I find the Tesla "go pedal" extremely easy to modulate at low speeds (it's fun to move the car forward at a snail's pace.. my ICE makes that way harder), but it's exactly that, a preference.

While I accept that you don't prefer creep, I do believe that there is definitely a safety advantage to it when slow speed maneuvering, like out of a garage. Your foot is on the brake, not the accelerator. Yes, there are ICE automatic ICE vehicles where people hit the accelerator, and that's the reason, they are hitting the accelerator.
My 2015 Leaf had aggressive creep. I first didn't like it, but I realized that I grew used to it, because I could do all my slow speed maneuvering with creep and the brake. But my wife still used the accelerator.

It is really ironic that manufacturers feel that creep is needed on EVs. They are playing to the automatic ICE drivers (which are essentially most of them now) when transitioning. It's an artificial concept added.

I remember in the mid 60's when our family got our first station wagon. My mom was driving and stopped at a light. A few seconds latter, we bumped into the car in front of her, she wasn't familiar with the automatic transmission creep.

That was from this video. He starts discussing EAP and creep around 3:30 into the video.

Well the reason is not really directly related to creep mode. It is more a side effect as you have to hold the brake pedal at stop sign/light with creep mode ON. And one of the ways to disable AP is to press the brake pedal, so you can't enable AP and disable AP at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I would hope in your example that alarms would immediately blare if a door opens and not in park.

I think it does. I know when I get in my husband’s S with creep off and if he hasn’t put it in Park, there is an audible alarm.

I think creep on on the 3 is safer because of the way the drive stalk works. It doesn’t give you feedback on its physical position like the S one does, so you can be in the wrong gear and not notice. Had at least one scary event when my husband thought my car was in R and it wasn’t. Since he doesn’t use creep, his foot was on the gas and we almost hit the curb before he corrected. With creep, he would have moved the wrong way as soon as his foot started lifting the brake and he may have caught the error quicker. He never had that issue in his S.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo and GSP
I found creep off is safer. With creep on, i was pulling into a parking spot and accidentally hit the accelerator...i recovered in time but made my heart miss a beat. With creep off, the car only moves when my foor is on the accelerator. I have no trouble feathering it.

I think the difference with ICE vehicles is the regen. When in an ICE and creeping, foot is on the brake but when in a Tesla foot remains on the accelerator...

Well the reason is not really directly related to creep mode. It is more a side effect as you have to hold the brake pedal at stop sign/light with creep mode ON. And one of the ways to disable AP is to press the brake pedal, so you can't enable AP and disable AP at the same time.

I don't understand this post. Even with creep mode on a quick twitch of your foot on the brake pedal activates the hold feature. At first you'll really stomp but as you develop feel a pretty gentle twitch will do.

If EAP is on it brings you to a full stop, then just sits there, and moves out with the car in front of it. If it is an empty stop sign/light and you have to bring the vehicle to a stop, just activate the hold feature and then reactivate EAP when you get going (which you have to do with creep on or off anyway).

I didn't think I'd leave creep on, but changed my mind as it lowers the chance for error especially if others drive the car.

Last edited:
I don't understand this post. Even with creep mode on a quick twitch of your foot on the brake pedal activates the hold feature. At first you'll really stomp but as you develop feel a pretty gentle twitch will do.

I could not get Hill Hold to take with creep on. The only time it will come on if I am really on a Hill. Most of the roads here are really flat, with creep on, hill hold almost never engage no matter how hard I stomp on the brake. :p

I have creep on too because it is easier to park. I just use the brake pedal to control parking. With creep off, I have to use both the accel and brake pedal.

I leave Creep on mainly because I was used to this in my Prius. As others have pointed out, it is easier to maneuver in driveways and parking lots with just your foot on the brake.

Its easier for you. For others, myself included, its easier (and safer) to leave creep off. I have no trouble lightly pressing the go pedal to move the car as slow as I want it to. For me the friction brakes feel less precise and I have more control with modulating the motor than the calipers at slow speeds.

Everyone should try it with Creep on or off, and choose what feels better to them. Like I said before, there's no evidence that turning creep off leads to pedal confusion accidents. To the contrary, most pedal confusion accidents occur in cars with mandatory creep features (automatic ICE).

I think its totally unrelated. Either driver presses the wrong pedal in that situation or they don't.

That was from this video. He starts discussing EAP and creep around 3:30 into the video.

I watched that video as well, and decided to try to turn off creep mode, but I discovered there are several points that he uses that are just wrong, as some of the comments on the video point out. You can enable AP with creep mode on, but you have to enable brake hold by slightly pressing the brake in further and then releasing after stopping. After doing that there is no difference between creep on or off, until you cancel brake hold.

After a week or two of driving with creep off, I decided it is probably better to have it on. I have the P, and I found because of the acceleration it is extremely difficult to press the accelerator lightly enough to get as precise of control as I can get with the brake and creep on. There were several times trying to squeeze into my garage or a tight parking spot that I got a little closer to a wall than i intended. Having it auto brake hold when coming to a stop with creep off was nice, but not worth the extra stress while parking. Also, I found creep pretty handy in stop and go traffic when I didn't want to bother turning the AP on.