Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to hover foot at a stop -brake or accelerator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In CREEP you can drive exactly like an ICE AT car and you can put car in hold by pressing a little harder on brake pedal after full stop. Then put your foot where you please and pressing go pedal to proceed. I like CREEP b/c I can go seamlessly from MY to ICE and not have to “think” about whether the car is going to stop on its own or not. Much more natural to me, especially going in and out of parking spots and parallel parking.

Don’t ever just hold your foot over the accelerator. I’m sure we are all a bit guilty / lazily doing that in our teslas. but one little bump from another car from behind in an accident could possibly make you slam the pedal to the floor if you get hit By another car (or even if you sneeze Or get startled). In a performance or plaid model could be devastating. I like to keep my foot on the brake pedal when at a stop or a light or rush hour highway full stop. I Was just looking at a 2022 salvaged M3P for sale to make a track car rebuild; and the lady that had it smashed the whole front end in because of this very reason. One pedal driving is amazing but it’s not a good idea to have a car that launches like a rocket with your foot on the trigger ready to fire At all times.

He maintains that he's protecting the brake calipers --
Uh, no. He's 100% wrong right here. There's nothing his foot on the brake pedal can do to harm those brakes.

Am I right? Is my way safer? (Perhaps only if you are married to a "creeper"!!)

Definitely safer. Imagine the following scenario. You and your husband are sitting at the light, and are rear ended. It's sufficient to jolt the Y, but not enough to disable the drive systems. Imagine that jolt scares your husband, and because his foot is hovering over the accelerator, he jams the accelerator. What do you think is going to happen? If there's a car in front of you, then you're hitting it. If not, then you'll likely end up in the intersection.

Is it worth arguing over? Nope. Feel free to let him know how you feel, and if an accident ever occurs, just know that you are 100% allowed to give him the "I told you so" look for the rest of your lives together :D