Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross Country NY to LA road trip with V9 FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! I'm currently mapping out a cross country road trip from NY to LA this June after the V9 FSD release comes out to document its usage in a cross country adventure. I have mapped out my journey below and bought the TESMAT privacy screen as well as the Exped megamat 10 duo medium to sleep on a few of the nights.

Any advice on what to bring/places to go or tips in general from others who have made a similar trip would be greatly appreciated. Map destinations were based on national parks as well as major cities I wanted to visit. Some changes I'm sure will be made mid route but its a place to start!

Current Route plan:

Good luck on the trek. ABRP has worked well for me, and I've found it to be reasonably accurate. Remember, garbage in- garbage out. Try to get your added weight and other settings as realistic as possible.

Will there be updates to V9 FSD for highway driving? We've heard of the upcoming improvements for city streets in V9, but I was under the impression it was only updating the city streets portion. I could easily be wrong. Either way, in my experience, the FSD/NoA has performed quite well on interstates. (Not perfect, but very few interventions.)

It sounds like you're going solo. If it works out, an overnight stop in Memphis is always fun. Be sure to visit Graceland, and Beale Street.

Drive carefully, and good luck with weather and traffic. It's obviously a very long drive, but a life experience and something you'll always remember.

Good luck on the trek. ABRP has worked well for me, and I've found it to be reasonably accurate. Remember, garbage in- garbage out. Try to get your added weight and other settings as realistic as possible.

Will there be updates to V9 FSD for highway driving? We've heard of the upcoming improvements for city streets in V9, but I was under the impression it was only updating the city streets portion. I could easily be wrong. Either way, in my experience, the FSD/NoA has performed quite well on interstates. (Not perfect, but very few interventions.)

It sounds like you're going solo. If it works out, an overnight stop in Memphis is always fun. Be sure to visit Graceland, and Beale Street.

Drive carefully, and good luck with weather and traffic. It's obviously a very long drive, but a life experience and something you'll always remember.

Thanks so much for this! Yes I'm going solo as I just love being able to go wherever the journey takes me and plus more comfort and space to sleep in the back (6 foot 175 lbs).

I'll be driving through a few major cities so that's where the update will be interesting to see how it does and just going from radar to vision in general. It's been amazing on highways already so far but really want to put V9 to the test. Appreciate the tips for Memphis as well, will make sure to stop by those spots.

I actually grew up in Gaithersburg Maryland for most of my life, went to Damascus High School and have family in Silver Spring and Potomac still. I visit quite often and will be stopping by during the start of my journey!

Reactions: mazers
Gaithersburg was just named one of America's friendliest cities! (I'm skeptical!) There has been a lot of growth here, and there are a lot of Teslas. We even have a supercharger near 270 & Sam Eig Hwy. at the Target in the Washingtonian Center. I'm in the Kentlands if you're familiar with the newer areas of Gaithersburg.

Being a Tesla nomad for a month or 2 is something I hope I get to do sometime. In the meantime, I'll have to live vicariously through your posts, so please be sure to let us know how it goes. There is a undeniable freedom that comes with hitting the road and driving wherever the mood strikes. Be safe, and enjoy!

Reactions: mazers
Gaithersburg was just named one of America's friendliest cities! (I'm skeptical!) There has been a lot of growth here, and there are a lot of Teslas. We even have a supercharger near 270 & Sam Eig Hwy. at the Target in the Washingtonian Center. I'm in the Kentlands if you're familiar with the newer areas of Gaithersburg.

Being a Tesla nomad for a month or 2 is something I hope I get to do sometime. In the meantime, I'll have to live vicariously through your posts, so please be sure to let us know how it goes. There is a undeniable freedom that comes with hitting the road and driving wherever the mood strikes. Be safe, and enjoy!

Right by the good ol' Rio! That place has been growing like crazy, very nice area. I grew up going to the Kentlands at the ol Star Diner there although believe that's gone. Yes I used that charging station a lot very thin spots have to drive in carefully for sure.

Yes I'm super excited for sure and after a year of pandemic teaching with a mask on (been in school since the start of the year) it's everything I need to unwind and just explore/travel around this country.

That is a fun trip and FSD will make it even more interesting. I have done that several times in ICE cars and in 2019, we did the trip on my wife's brand new MX 100D with FUSC and NoA to do the Fremont Factory tour. We put 7500+ miles in 16 days. What made it fun was, we didn't have a set schedule except for the day of the factory tour (which was 8 days before we left NY). So we had 8 days to get to San Francisco and 8 days to go back. The goal was to stop by interesting places. We took the southern route westbound so we can stop by DFW area and pass through Vegas on the way back up to San Fran. Then east bound, we took the northern route, passing by Giga Nevada (no tours allowed there), Lake Tahoe and the Dakotas.

The journey was the destination and we had fun plotting the supercharging stops. No range anxiety at all.

Make sure you hit southern UT if you're into that scenery - amazing hiking and those rock formations are insane. If you haven't been, I suggest Lake Tahoe as a good stop. If you can, pass through Death Valley and go to this little town called Amargosa Springs. There's a former New Yorker who moved there many many years ago and started a theater in that small town and they have pretty awesome plays. It's been a while since we've been there, she's probably passed now, but I know the theater is still there.

Good luck with the trip and please keep this thread updated.

3 country, 7,800 mile road trip in 15 days - SAFELY. Range anxiety, oh no! (yawn)

1618331955499.png

1618331933047.png

Yes, from Modern Spare. Highly recommend having a spare tire and all related kit for dealing with a flat. Also recommend carrying some of the popular mobile charger adapters, just in case calamity or adventures ensue.
Yes I have an extension cord and this extension cord in my cart:

Along with this adapter:

I do not have a modern spare kit but will look into that although I fear that may take up some space but if I have my suitcase in the front seat maybe it will work, I need to do more work on figuring out space and where I will be storing what. Thanks for the tips though, will definitely look into getting one.

That is a fun trip and FSD will make it even more interesting. I have done that several times in ICE cars and in 2019, we did the trip on my wife's brand new MX 100D with FUSC and NoA to do the Fremont Factory tour. We put 7500+ miles in 16 days. What made it fun was, we didn't have a set schedule except for the day of the factory tour (which was 8 days before we left NY). So we had 8 days to get to San Francisco and 8 days to go back. The goal was to stop by interesting places. We took the southern route westbound so we can stop by DFW area and pass through Vegas on the way back up to San Fran. Then east bound, we took the northern route, passing by Giga Nevada (no tours allowed there), Lake Tahoe and the Dakotas.

The journey was the destination and we had fun plotting the supercharging stops. No range anxiety at all.

Make sure you hit southern UT if you're into that scenery - amazing hiking and those rock formations are insane. If you haven't been, I suggest Lake Tahoe as a good stop. If you can, pass through Death Valley and go to this little town called Amargosa Springs. There's a former New Yorker who moved there many many years ago and started a theater in that small town and they have pretty awesome plays. It's been a while since we've been there, she's probably passed now, but I know the theater is still there.

Good luck with the trip and please keep this thread updated.
Amazing, thanks so much appreciate it and will definitely keep you all up to date on my journey. I will also be documenting it through my facebook and Instagram accounts.

Hey everyone! I'm currently mapping out a cross country road trip from NY to LA this June after the V9 FSD release comes out to document its usage in a cross country adventure. I have mapped out my journey below and bought the TESMAT privacy screen as well as the Exped megamat 10 duo medium to sleep on a few of the nights.

Any advice on what to bring/places to go or tips in general from others who have made a similar trip would be greatly appreciated. Map destinations were based on national parks as well as major cities I wanted to visit. Some changes I'm sure will be made mid route but its a place to start!

Current Route plan:
just don't use your mat to sleep in the car .... while driving :eek:😴😉 .......at least not yet . one day I would like to do the cross country run . but sleep though half of it on the interstate 😎

Dont forget Syracuse NY, we had a highly polluted lake (on the mend), next to water recycling facility, next to Destiny USA mall.

Smells like crap. Enticing I know.
haha very enticing! I haven't planned my trip back, I found a great furnished one bedroom sublet apartment right in the middle of Hollywood near Griffith Observatory to stay in for a month or two for only $1,300 a month utilities included so I'll be planning the route back over that time period.

Reactions: Pyre
just don't use your mat to sleep in the car .... while driving :eek:😴😉 .......at least not yet . one day I would like to do the cross country run . but sleep though half of it on the interstate 😎
Yes V9 FSD will be released for this trip which I'm so excited to really put to use but definitely not going to attempt any slumbering in the back as it drives me across the nation haha.

Current Route plan:
Over the years, I have done about 8 cross country road trips, the last one being in 2010. Back then, my cars were all ICE. Most of the trips were in a 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - a little known but fantastic 2+2 sports car. My last one was in a 2008 Volvo C30. All trips were work related. I live in MA but back then, I often had month's long projects in L.A. I would usually take about 5 days to do the trip. Once I did it in less than 3 days. I mostly drove the interstates because of time constraints, but I tried a number of routes: i-81 & i-40; or various routes to i-70, then i-70 to i-15; or i-80. I never had a chance to do i-90 across Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, etc. It was just too far out of the way. Having said all that, i-81 thru the Shenandoah Valley is beautiful and so is the first stretch of i-40 thru Tennessee, but once across the Mississippi River, I found i-40 to be boring at the bestt and often quite depressing. Likewise, much of i-80 east of the Rockies is very boring. My favorite route thru the west was on i-70 and i-15. The scenery west of Denver and all the way to just short of Vegas is wonderful.