Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crossing the Montana Supercharger Desert; Any Generous HPC/HPWC owners along I-90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've become the de facto Tesla travel host in Montana, DrGuest. When the Bozeman Supercharger finally opens you'll have fewer visitors stopping to use your home charger, but we won't forget your hospitality during these early days. Thanks!

So my Aunt and Uncle summer in Jackson WY. The car has been landlocked for 2 years and this year they want to take it to Nantucket, then Florida (Jackson is still landlocked). Tesla Denver recently collected the car for service.

I think they're leaving Denver today and want to watch their progress, so I pull up the app...

Guess what, instead of making them fly to Denver for the car, Tesla dropped the car at Rapid City SD Airport! Knocking 400 miles off their trip!

WHITE GLOVE SERVICE! This company is mind blowing!!

So my Aunt and Uncle summer in Jackson WY. The car has been landlocked for 2 years and this year they want to take it to Nantucket, then Florida (Jackson is still landlocked). Tesla Denver recently collected the car for service.

I think they're leaving Denver today and want to watch their progress, so I pull up the app...

Guess what, instead of making them fly to Denver for the car, Tesla dropped the car at Rapid City SD Airport! Knocking 400 miles off their trip!

WHITE GLOVE SERVICE! This company is mind blowing!!

That's a great story!

Hopefully, Sheridan and Gillette will be finished for their return to Jackson next spring.

Latest word on Bozeman and Big Timber is that they will both hopefully go live around Oct. 20. Both are waiting on a part, a transformer and switch gear respectively, which are due to arrive around Oct 15. I put more detail in the dedicated supercharger threads.

Just checked the website. Seems to me Supercharger is under construction
2014-MSS-ELC-00883

B C ELECTRIC LLC
BL20050468
343 MOIESE LANE
STEVENSVILLE, MT, 59870
Home Phone:406-880-8893
Mobile Phone:406-777-7274
CONTRACTOR BL20050468

https://ebiz.mt.gov/Missoula/Cap/Ca...00BGQ&agencyCode=MISSOULA&IsToShowInspection=

Record
2014-MSS-COM-00232
:
Building/Commercial Construction/NA/NA

Note A notice was added to this record on 08/22/2014.
Condition: ENGPAVE Severity: Notice
Total Conditions: 2 (Notice: 1, Required: 1)

View additional details

Work Location
5280 GRANT CREEK RD
MISSOULA MT 59808

Record Details
Project Description:
TESLA MOTORS CHARGING STATION
TESLA MOTORS CHARGING STATION/NEW CHARGING STATION
Owner:
GRANT CREEK INN LLC
5280 GRANT CREEK RD
MISSOULA MT 59808-1492

This is the Best Western Plus Grant Creek Inn, just north of I-90 off Reserve Street.
In the details, 6 parking spaces are listed as "new' requirements.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thanks! Looking forward to some pictures. Enjoy your drive!

Boy, D Reveal to the Montana Supercharger Desert, you do get around, Vger!!!

Happy to oblige!

Here is Missoula, very well underway!
IMG_4428.JPG
FullSizeRender 3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I also stopped at Big Timber to confirm with pictures what DrGuest and Bighorn had reported, that it only lacked switchgear to be completed. Ironic that Bozeman is lacking the transformer that sits useless without switchgear at Big Timber, and vice versa for Bozeman!!
IMG_4423.JPG
IMG_4424.JPG
IMG_4426.JPG

As for getting to the "D" event, I would have loved to drive all the way to LA and then return via the coast, but I simply did not have enough time, even if I had driven straight through, which I DID do, from Chicago 6:30pm Tuesday to Billings, 11pm Wednesday, to catch my flight to LAX and back for the event-- I learned the art of catnapping just enough at each of the supercharger stops during the night to keep safely going!

It is too bad that they couldn't have gotten the switchgear and transformer to a single, then viable site. Came to Billings now for a loaf of bread:) Sorry I missed you, Vger

Yes, we will get it together one of these trips!

- - - Updated - - -

Another update: I am staying tonight at the Springhill Suites in Coeur D'Alene, the supposed site of the forever-coming-soon supercharger. I talked with the desk staff when I checked in and found out the solution to the mystery. The city shot down the Springhill site because the dedicated SC parking spaces would have violated their minimum parking allocation per hotel room standard. Tesla and the hotel tried to appeal for a variance, but the city was having none of it.

So the good news is that Tesla gave the hotel two HPWC's as a consolation prize, and they are installed and Ruby is plugged into one right now. They are 80A capable @ 200V, so 16 kW, for those with dual chargers. It makes this an even more attractive site if, like us you are one days drive from or to home from here.

As for the real supercharger site standing up, Tesla is apparently close to a deal on an alternative site, or perhaps has one. Perhaps a call to the planning office might yield a status on a permit. Hopefully this one gets done in November, but I doubt it will happen before perhaps all the Montana ones are up.

As an aside, After enjoying DrGuest's hospitality again last night (THANKS!), and a morning stop at Wayside RV Park in Garrison, I hop-scotched over here with a final stop over lunch at the 50,000 Silver Dollar place in Haugan. Unlike my first frustrating visit, I got to one of the allegedly two 14-50's on the property, the one behind the gas station, and got a stable 40A @ 205V. With a surprise following wind and driving 65 to 70 mph, I averaged only 275 Wh/mi all day!

That Springhill Suites is really nice, my wife plans to go back with some friends. The HPWC wasn't installed when we were there, but they have a couple of J1772 units that are free for guests as well.

We had also successfuly charged at the 50000 Silver Dollar (though we were behind the restaurant, and I think we got 240v; though towards the end charging briefly stopped and then resumed at 30a). We had thought of spending the night there, but when I called ahead to check the night before, they not only did not want to do anything to ensure a charging spot was available if we stayed there...they said "some Canadian guy" had posted the outlet availability on the internet but they weren't interested in doing anything to work with EVs. Well, no matter, the Superchargers will be in soon enough and they won't have to take our business...

Last edited:
We had also successfuly charged at the 50000 Silver Dollar (though we were behind the restaurant, and I think we got 240v; though towards the end charging briefly stopped and then resumed at 30a). We had thought of spending the night there, but they not only did not want to do anything to ensure a charging spot was available if we stayed there...they said "some Canadian guy" had posted the outlet availability on the internet but they weren't interested in doing anything to work with EVs. Well, no matter, the Superchargers will be in soon enough and they won't have to take our business...

I stopped to charge there for range extension and was talking to the bartender/bar maid offering to pay a little extra; but ended up putting it on her tip. To bad they are not interested in accommodating electric vehicles for an overnight charge as they are at a good distance stopping point if you are leaving the Seattle area to overnight at.

I stopped to charge there for range extension and was talking to the bartender/bar maid offering to pay a little extra; but ended up putting it on her tip. To bad they are not interested in accommodating electric vehicles for an overnight charge as they are at a good distance stopping point if you are leaving the Seattle area to overnight at.

Yes, this and Chad's experiences are disappointing. But on the other hand, since the Springhill Suites and Coeur D'Alene Resort in Coeur D'Alene now have twin HPWC's (in addition to the GE Wattstation Chad referred to at Springhill), and the Missoula supercharger is at a nice Best Western Plus, there are several good spots for first/last night out from Seattle/Vancouver area.

I just talked to the Electrician that hooked up Billings, he's waiting for the Bozeman transformer to arrive today. We'll see if it does. He did tell me that he bid for the job in Superior, MT! This is our SC location between Coeur D' Alene and Missoula! He was so jazzed being part of this Tesla SC installation. He is telling everyone he knows about how great this Tesla Concept really is! I gave him a test drive and he is ready to never buy ICE again! He said it could be another week before Bozeman SC is truly up and running. He said that in Billings, the final stage was when Tesla sent a Truck with a Model S on a trailer and used the car to test all the loads on the SC's and certify it was ready.

My Bozeman City sustainability manager is trying to put a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony together here in Bzn when the SC is operational. I was at a renewables conference at MSU last night and a Student that specializes in Documentary Films asked me if he could interview me for a documentary he will be filming in a couple weeks. I also got to turn on a few mechanical engineering students to a test drive and their level of enthusiasm for the fit and finish and the whole vision of Tesla was very inspiring! Ill let ya'll know more about Montana Super Chargers ASAP!

Last edited:
I just talked to the Electrician that hooked up Billings, he's waiting for the Bozeman transformer to arrive today. We'll see if it does. He did tell me that he bid for the job in Superior, MT! This is our SC location between Coeur D' Alene and Missoula! He was so jazzed being part of this Tesla SC installation. He is telling everyone he knows about how great this Tesla Concept really is! I gave him a test drive and he is ready to never buy ICE again! He said it could be another week before Bozeman SC is truly up and running. He said that in Billings, the final stage was when Tesla sent a Truck with a Model S on a trailer and used the car to test all the loads on the SC's and certify it was ready.

My Bozeman City sustainability manager is trying to put a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony together here in Bzn when the SC is operational. I was at a renewables conference at MSU last night and a Student that specializes in Documentary Films asked me if he could interview me for a documentary he will be filming in a couple weeks. I also got to turn on a few mechanical engineering students to a test drive and their level of enthusiasm for the fit and finish and the whole vision of Tesla was very inspiring! Ill let ya'll know more about Montana Super Chargers ASAP!

Is this the guy from Missouri that I met in Big Timber a few weeks ago? He came out of retirement in Missouri to bid Tesla superchargers. I asked him about other bids and he didn't have any out, so it's great to hear about Superior. So much for my guess of St. Regis, which is 14 miles west. I would have been at the presentation last night if these chargers were open. My wife suggested I take the Prius--I just laughed.

Is this the guy from Missouri that I met in Big Timber a few weeks ago? He came out of retirement in Missouri to bid Tesla superchargers. I asked him about other bids and he didn't have any out, so it's great to hear about Superior. So much for my guess of St. Regis, which is 14 miles west. I would have been at the presentation last night if these chargers were open. My wife suggested I take the Prius--I just laughed.

Hi Bighorn, This was an electrician from Billings, not the SC construction contractor, Thomas from Missouri. It was fun that he mentioned Superior, That is such good news to know that it will break up the distance between Missoula and Coeur d'Alene with all those high mountain passes during cold temperatures. I'll let you know More as I learn more!