Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crossing the Montana Supercharger Desert; Any Generous HPC/HPWC owners along I-90?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be driving to Missoula, MT in a few weeks. Any suggestions on spots past the last Supercharger would be helpful. I will trying mapping it out on Plugshare of course first.

From Lusk, WY Supercharger on my recent trip back to Seattle I did:

Sheridan WY - Charge overnight at Peter D RV Park, walked and stayed at Hampton Inn (though others had issue with the RV Park)
Billings MT Supercharger
Bozeman MT - Very kindly was allowed use of Dr. Guest's charger and guest room
Missoula MT - Stayed in Deluxe Cabin at KOA campground - rented space to charge the Tesla for extra $5
Coure d'Alene ID - Springhill Suites - Used 30A car charger over night
Ritzville WA Supercharger
Ellensburg WA Supercharger

Sometimes there is a red minus sign in the comments when people have trouble getting a charge.
IMO, until there's a better way, I would check-in to Plugshare with an unable to charge and note the experience in the comments section.

That would work, though you'd have to create the entry and put a negative comment in the description. That would certainly work though, until you click on it, it would look as if there is a viable charging location when it isn't. I'd prefer to have a "don't bother" icon (maybe a superimposed red circle with a slash through it.)

Last edited:
That would work, though you'd have to create the entry and put a negative comment in the description. That would certainly work though, until you click on it, it would look as if there is a viable charging location when it isn't. I'd prefer to have a "don't bother" icon (maybe a superimposed red circle with a slash through it.)
On the iPhone, at least, one of the options when you check-in is to select "could not charge," so that's what I was thinking of. That will lower their reliability score and hopefully will draw attention to the notes one hopefully also left.

I like your idea, though.

PERMIT FOUND FOR MISSOULA

https://ebiz.mt.gov/Missoula/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Building&TabName=Building&capID1=14CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=00BGQ&agencyCode=MISSOULA&IsToShowInspection=

Record
2014-MSS-COM-00232
:
Building/Commercial Construction/NA/NA

Note A notice was added to this record on 08/22/2014.
Condition: ENGPAVE Severity: Notice
Total Conditions: 2 (Notice: 1, Required: 1)

View additional details

Work Location
5280 GRANT CREEK RD
MISSOULA MT 59808

Record Details
Project Description:
TESLA MOTORS CHARGING STATION
TESLA MOTORS CHARGING STATION/NEW CHARGING STATION
Owner:
GRANT CREEK INN LLC
5280 GRANT CREEK RD
MISSOULA MT 59808-1492

This is the Best Western Plus Grant Creek Inn, just north of I-90 off Reserve Street.
In the details, 6 parking spaces are listed as "new' requirements.

Last edited:
Yikes, that's 160 miles from Coeur d'Alene to Missoula. EVTrip planner says it will take 63KWh (1.1 speed mult, 400 lbs payload, 70F, no winds) but claims a net altitude gain of 1K ft. Veloroutes gave me this altitude profile:
elevation_graph_120473.png

So it's pretty clear that the net is 1K but total climbing is more like 4K. You don't get 100% back on the down hills. I'm think this is very dicey, in an S85. Probably not possible in a S60, even going 60 MPH.

I sure hope they put something in between though there isn't much there.

Yikes, that's 160 miles from Coeur d'Alene to Missoula. EVTrip planner says it will take 63KWh (1.1 speed mult, 400 lbs payload, 70F, no winds) but claims a net altitude gain of 1K ft. Veloroutes gave me this altitude profile:
View attachment 58258
So it's pretty clear that the net is 1K but total climbing is more like 4K. You don't get 100% back on the down hills. I'm think this is very dicey, in an S85. Probably not possible in a S60, even going 60 MPH.

I agree. The NEMA 14-50's between Coeur d'Alene and Missoula are reported iffy.

One of our local members did make it easily from Missoula to Coeur d'Alene in an 85 kWh car... it was in the summer, though, not winter.

View attachment 58258

Yes, Tesla does need something in between Coeur d'Alene and Missoula for winter driving, other bad weather, and for S60's.

EVTripPlanner does take into account the ups and downs, not just the net, but on most interstate grades, going downhill returns most, if not all, of what you paid going up. As long as the slope is shallow enough to not go into regen (most Interstates), there is zero loss. Even on very steep hills, it's hard to have more than half the returned energy go into regen; rest goes into normal car usage instead of coming out of the battery. Let's take the example you cite, 4,000 feet up and 3,000 feet down. The approximate conversion is 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet. Those 3,000 feet give us the equivalent of 18 rated miles. Let's say that 9 are used in lieu of taking from the battery and 9 go back into regen. If the MS is 90% efficient out of the battery and 90% back in, that is a net efficiency of 81%. 81% times 9 is about 7 rated miles. That means that 7 rated miles went into the battery and 2 rated miles went to waste heat. Overall that means that of the 18 rated miles, we got to use 16 (not bad), 9 for normal propulsion and 7 back into the battery; only 2 of 18 rated miles or about 10% was wasted.

I do a lot of mountain driving in Colorado. Let me assure you that as long as you drive reasonably, don't let the car go too fast down hills, and use regen instead of friction brakes most of the time, you get almost all of the elevation rated miles back.

On the speed multiplier, be careful. It is a multiplier of average traffic speed, not the speed limit, putting in a 1.0 means you are moving with the traffic. In Montana, that could easily be 80 or 90 mph.

Happy Travels!

I may double down on St. Regis, since my Missoula prediction materialized. 96 miles to Coeur D'Alene and 72 miles to Missoula.

Make sense to me. I stopped there at an RV park when my overnight charge at the Silver Dollar turned into a slow TT-30 affair-- lovely place. Tesla will eventually have to do something to divide this leg. This corridor is going to be very popular I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, being the OP of this thread: I am thinking about making the trip to Iowa again at the end of September, and returning the second week of October. I could fly, but of course as a committed Tesla road tripper, would prefer not to.

My question is this: from those with the best on-the-ground intelligence, what is the probability that even ONE more supercharger will open on the western I-90 route in that time frame?

Have at it my dear colleagues!

Make sense to me. I stopped there at an RV park when my overnight charge at the Silver Dollar turned into a slow TT-30 affair-- lovely place. Tesla will eventually have to do something to divide this leg. This corridor is going to be very popular I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, being the OP of this thread: I am thinking about making the trip to Iowa again at the end of September, and returning the second week of October. I could fly, but of course as a committed Tesla road tripper, would prefer not to.

My question is this: from those with the best on-the-ground intelligence, what is the probability that even ONE more supercharger will open on the western I-90 route in that time frame?

Have at it my dear colleagues!

I just wrote our local owners who are under contract with Tesla for a SC on their property. She anticipates building to commence shortly. It seems that Bozeman may be first in line based on the duration of their permit. I'd say it's a coin toss as to whether either is complete by month's end, though.

Tesla must have run into problems in Coeur D' Alene, because that supercharger has been coming soon since early Spring.

That has been my observation and assumption also. Frustrating!

- - - Updated - - -

I just wrote our local owners who are under contract with Tesla for a SC on their property. She anticipates building to commence shortly. It seems that Bozeman may be first in line based on the duration of their permit. I'd say it's a coin toss as to whether either is complete by month's end, though.

Thanks! Figured you would be one with some true on-the-ground insight. :wink:

Tesla must have run into problems in Coeur D' Alene, because that supercharger has been coming soon since early Spring.

I heard that something may be starting in Coeur D' Alene in a month or so.

To have the best chance of more Superchargers on the I-90 corridor, I have decided to do my Pacific Northwest near Thanksgiving instead of October. If just a few more Superchargers go live on the I-90 corridor; this could be a fun drive!