Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise, autopilot and sentry mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I added a USB drive to my model 3 to test the recording of sentry mode. I formatted the drive and created folder structure.

It worked however the videos quickly filled up the drive. I deleted the videos and did another test. This time I did not drive my car for a full day.

Today when I went to drive, the USB was maxed out of space, and I noticed that I could not enable cruise, or autopilot. Both said were unavailable. I also noticed that sentry mode when enabled, as I was near my car the sentry mode screen never came on. I did a reset by holding in the two spin wheels on steering wheel but that didnt fix it. Still can enable cruise or autopilot and sentry mode when enabled does not pop up on screen.

Attached is a photo of my car and you can see that the street lines or the speed limit icon no longer show up. I confirmed autopilot setting and navigation settings were enabled.
Anyone have any thoughts on a fix?

Attachments

• 20190502_232233.jpg
    20190502_232233.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 136
I have had what sounds like a very similar issue recently. I unplugged my TeslaCam usb drive in place of a usb game controller. When I returned the TeslaCam drive, all AP functionality quit. Still working on a fix myself, but I’ll post if I have any luck!

Recently, I added a USB drive to my model 3 to test the recording of sentry mode. I formatted the drive and created folder structure.

It worked however the videos quickly filled up the drive. I deleted the videos and did another test. This time I did not drive my car for a full day.

Today when I went to drive, the USB was maxed out of space, and I noticed that I could not enable cruise, or autopilot. Both said were unavailable. I also noticed that sentry mode when enabled, as I was near my car the sentry mode screen never came on. I did a reset by holding in the two spin wheels on steering wheel but that didnt fix it. Still can enable cruise or autopilot and sentry mode when enabled does not pop up on screen.

Attached is a photo of my car and you can see that the street lines or the speed limit icon no longer show up. I confirmed autopilot setting and navigation settings were enabled.
Anyone have any thoughts on a fix?

There is a known issue with the current software release. I opened up a case on this, and Tesla acknowledged the issue. I do not beleive it is related to your USB storage activity.

If Google maps does not have speed limit data it will not show a speed limit on the screen. This is normal. If you are driving around town and it consistently does not show the speed limit, that would not be normal.

I doubt there is any connection between the USB drive and Autopilot but you could always confirm this by removing the USB drive.

I believe there is an issue between AP and the usb. My dashcam was not recording correctly, but I still left it plugged in. One day AP, and cruise were gone. Removing the USB did work. I didn’t think the USB was related to this until I read about it in another thread

So everyone. Looks like when cruise/AP is not functional it’s because cameras are not processing either. So I had the issue happen again while the car was in Sentry Mode overnight which means it never slept. I looked at recent and saved footage from today. All the files are 595 bytes. Not even kB. When your AP goes it’s because your cameras are not providing feed and neither does your Dashcam and Sentry. Everything is gone!

There is a known issue with the current software release. I opened up a case on this, and Tesla acknowledged the issue. I do not beleive it is related to your USB storage activity.

I’m having the same issues right now after software update. Glad to know they’ve acknowledges it, Hopefully resolved soon. You don’t realize how helpful autopilot is until it’s actually gone .

Regardless maybe I’ll unplug my usb to see if it does anything ... hasn’t appeared to work yet though.

I’m having the same issues right now after software update. Glad to know they’ve acknowledges it, Hopefully resolved soon. You don’t realize how helpful autopilot is until it’s actually gone .

Regardless maybe I’ll unplug my usb to see if it does anything ... hasn’t appeared to work yet though.

Unplugged my usb yesterday, and this morning autopilot icon showed up again. For the past 2 days it wasn’t.

Had same issue two days ago and called Tesla today after trying to soft/hard reset the car. Talking to the support, they acknowledge the issue and this is solved through a hard reset of the car. The reason why, in my case, it did not work is because I still had the sentry mode activated which prevented the car to go to deeper sleep. As soon as I deactivated the sentry mode and let the car sit for a couple of hours, autopilot worked again. My guess is that a hard reset followed by turn off via service menu would work as well. Car is happy again and we should expect some corrections of this issue when sentry mode usb is full.

I'm still on 2019.12.1.2 which doesn't have the option to automatically have sentry mode turn on for home, work, favorites. The procedure in chat I was given (haven't tested) is to remove all USB drives, exclude home from navigation, log out of app and allow vehicle to sleep minimum 5 hours.

Had same issue two days ago and called Tesla today after trying to soft/hard reset the car. Talking to the support, they acknowledge the issue and this is solved through a hard reset of the car. The reason why, in my case, it did not work is because I still had the sentry mode activated which prevented the car to go to deeper sleep. As soon as I deactivated the sentry mode and let the car sit for a couple of hours, autopilot worked again. My guess is that a hard reset followed by turn off via service menu would work as well. Car is happy again and we should expect some corrections of this issue when sentry mode usb is full.
On a road trip & had the same thing happen about an hour from the hotel. Called Tesla & got a similar story. No mention of the cause, like on your call, but they said it requires a deep sleep overnight with the thumb drive out and sentry mode off. I just plugged the thumb drive into my laptop & it was full. Hopefully I'll have AP in the morning.

I wish there was an option to automatically delete the oldest videos when the drive is full.

they said it requires a deep sleep overnight with the thumb drive out and sentry mode off. j

Yep, at 2019.16.2 this happened to me as well. I turned off Sentry mode, pulled usb stick and left it in Park for about 6 hours.

Now AP is working and it sees lane lines. I hope that 2019.20.1 is a permanent fix...

Well all I will say is when my husband’s car was affected (after getting 2019.16.2 on his MS BTW, never had it happen prior), he didn’t have to go through all those steps to fix his issue. From what some have been told to do sounds like throwing in the kitchen sink.

He had no AP suddenly, told him to turn off Sentry on his display on car which he did, he parked his car and left it to run an errand, got back in, turned on Sentry again and hasn’t had the issue repeat. He didn’t pull any drive, didn’t reboot, didn’t let the car sit for hours. Thought I’d mention that.