Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control even twitchier after last week's update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else seeing cruise control is now even moreso than before braking for no apparent reason?

Noticing it this week, after a software update last weekend I think it was.

Reading some more I see people call it Phantom Braking. Its happening way more often on the standard commute.

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing cruise control is now even moreso than before braking for no apparent reason?

Noticing it this week, after a software update last weekend I think it was.

Reading some more I see people call it Phantom Braking. Its happening way more often on the standard commute.
Which specific software update are you referring to? There have been almost a dozen in the past month, from both 2021.12.25.x and 2021.24.x.

Reactions: cwerdna
I received 2021.12.25.7 about 10 days ago. It is very twitchy in Autopilot and I have to intervene on roads I've traveled hundreds of times. It also not consistent on where it has trouble. It feels like a definite, big step backwards.

2021 Model Y: 2021.4.21.3 is worse than previous versions. In speed control only, NOT autopilot, slammed on breaks hard with NOTHING visible anywhere and no other cars on the road except the one behind me that almost rear-ended me. Happens mostly when in a curve in road. My 2015 Subaru has better cruise control.
I can understand having to take control if Auto Pilot has an issue but the Speed control should be at least as good as 90% of 5 year old cars with vehicle aware cruse control.
A vehicle aware Cruse Control should be a priority for Tesla - not FSD - not Auto Pilot. I can steer the thing but I would expect it to Not run into anything on the road in my lane and NOT break for nothing.

I just got mine and it’s still at 2021.3.106 (Canadian MY performance) and I observe very similar issues. I‘ve definitely seen it put on the brakes for no obvious reason. It seems to have more trouble with oncoming motorcycles, oncoming trucks with no headlights, encountering oncoming vehicles when cresting blind hills and being too conservative/soon with vehicles merging or exiting.

2021 Model Y: 2021.4.21.3 is worse than previous versions. In speed control only, NOT autopilot, slammed on breaks hard with NOTHING visible anywhere and no other cars on the road except the one behind me that almost rear-ended me. Happens mostly when in a curve in road. My 2015 Subaru has better cruise control.
I can understand having to take control if Auto Pilot has an issue but the Speed control should be at least as good as 90% of 5 year old cars with vehicle aware cruse control.
A vehicle aware Cruse Control should be a priority for Tesla - not FSD - not Auto Pilot. I can steer the thing but I would expect it to Not run into anything on the road in my lane and NOT break for nothing.
I have had the same issue since day 1. It is getting worse not better. The curse control is all but useless at night from all of the phantom braking. Doesn't seem to matter if it is oncoming lights in the other lane, a guardrail reflection, or even a shiny billboard sign. This thing brakes all the time. I mostly don't use it anymore other than to see if maybe a software download actually fixed it. Of course, it didn't.

Just got my Model 3 SR+ Friday. Got one sudden speed drop during the day that day. Tonight, coming home from a 350 KM trip, after about 200 KM, had to disengage the cruise control because it kept braking for no reason (about 5 times in a few minutes interval). Happened twice with a car behind me. He must have thought I brake checked him :mad:

This is not acceptable for a cruise control. I've been driving cars for the last 30 years and never had a cruise control do that. It's a road hazard! Full vision distance approximation is not ready and it's not something I'm willing to be beta testing. Radar should have not been removed from the car this early if it's that unreliable.

Brand new Y LR. Still learning all the magic but I have almost been rear-ended twice on the interstate when the cruise control slows from 70 to 40 for no reason. I was thinking it happened when going in to a curve and getting an echo off of the guard rail. But then it happened on the straight road while over taking a semi. The adaptive cruise control is more dangerous than it's worth. Is this indicative of other "software" issues?? I may return it if that is the case. I have 10 days.