Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control not available. Almost daily.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since my HW3 update I'm getting the message Cruise Control not available message. Almost daily.

I'm not sure what the problem is but almost every time I get in the car and try to engage autopilot or cruise control. The consistent remedy to this is to pull over to the side of the road - place the car in park - power it off from the menu and wait 3 min for it to re-power up.

Then it works.

I get no messages that anything is wrong. No error messages or anything. Customer support is baffled as well.

Anyone else getting this error when engaging autopilot or cruise control?

It will not let you set cruise control in an ambiguous situation. For example: if you are sitting at a stop light and getting ready to enter an intersection it will not work. Generally, you have to be driving with well-defined lane markings before it will take.

That has been my experience and it has been logical. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: BuggDDS
Since my HW3 update I'm getting the message Cruise Control not available message. Almost daily.

I'm not sure what the problem is but almost every time I get in the car and try to engage autopilot or cruise control. The consistent remedy to this is to pull over to the side of the road - place the car in park - power it off from the menu and wait 3 min for it to re-power up.

Then it works.

I get no messages that anything is wrong. No error messages or anything. Customer support is baffled as well.

Anyone else getting this error when engaging autopilot or cruise control?

The steering wheel icon is grey when you attempt to engage autopilot?

smatthew said:
The steering wheel icon is grey when you attempt to engage autopilot?

No...there is no steering wheel icon. It never shows up.

At least three failure mode possibilities:
  1. Camera is failing to detect the painted lane edges, or they are not well marked in your neck of the woods.
    • Lane paint markings take a beating during the winter, even if it was as mild as the current one.
  2. You've accidentally been tripping "failed to take over when prompted" AP alerts, and AP is self-disabling on you.
    • I've noticed that AP alerts have been far more frequent, and semi-random, with the latest 2020.4.* and 2020.8.* software versions. I now get prompted at ~5% of the curves, even if the car is well within lane markings.
    • At least twice, after I took over, the AP still decided that I didn't, and had self-disabled. It did restart after Park/Drive cycling.
  3. AP got Coronavirus
#1 and #2 are reflective of my recent driving experiences with AP on NJ/NY/CT roads.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that there is no gray steering wheel when accelerating semi-fast, and for sure no wheel when there aren’t two lane lines that the camera can see. Like previous response posted said, it has to be a “comfortable driving situation” for the gray wheel to show up

I don't believe its always about cameras not being able to see out their little windows. I've cleaned it all and still get that error.

I can't enable any auto modes when this happens. not smart-follow or lane-centering/steering. nothing. all of adas says 'no' to me.

again, I think some key processes are blocked or on a race condition or crashed. a watchdog is what usually fixes 'stuck' processes and this has all the signs of something being in a stuck state, software wise. that's why reboots and sleep/wake always fixes it.

the 'clean restart' that sleep/wake gives - that's what we need to be able to 'call' as users, if things get bad.

tesla has not given us a 'restart daemons' button but they should, at this point.

kind of sad that at this point, they are still unable to keep key systems always-up and running.

At least three failure mode possibilities:
  1. Camera is failing to detect the painted lane edges, or they are not well marked in your neck of the woods.
    • Lane paint markings take a beating during the winter, even if it was as mild as the current one.
  2. You've accidentally been tripping "failed to take over when prompted" AP alerts, and AP is self-disabling on you.
    • I've noticed that AP alerts have been far more frequent, and semi-random, with the latest 2020.4.* and 2020.8.* software versions. I now get prompted at ~5% of the curves, even if the car is well within lane markings.
    • At least twice, after I took over, the AP still decided that I didn't, and had self-disabled. It did restart after Park/Drive cycling.
  3. AP got Coronavirus
#1 and #2 are reflective of my recent driving experiences with AP on NJ/NY/CT roads.

HTH,
a

Thanks for your insight.

The only problem is that I can fix it every time by pulling over to the side of the road / turning the car off for 3 min and then it starts working.

See.....I don't get the steering wheel icon from the first time I start driving ( sometimes ). Its not like I'm in autopilot and stops working after driving. It never starts up.

Just experienced it again. 8.1 here.

Pulling out of the garage, my mirrors don't auto unfold at the usual location and instead quite a bit further down the street.

Also, my headlights never auto turn off after pulling out of my dark garage into full daylight.

I wonder if it has anything to do with being plugged in? I haven't noticed issues with AP after an unplugged parking.

Speed limit signs don't show up as well as no AP/TACC.

Parking the car and letting it sit has seems to always resolve the issue for me.

That just happened to me. The icons for cruise control and auto drive don’t even show up.
When I drove on the same roads yesterday both were operational.

I just returned home. Will try again later to see what happens. It isn’t as much fun to drive without auto drive and cruise control!

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Just experienced it again. 8.1 here.

Pulling out of the garage, my mirrors don't auto unfold at the usual location and instead quite a bit further down the street.

Also, my headlights never auto turn off after pulling out of my dark garage into full daylight.

I wonder if it has anything to do with being plugged in? I haven't noticed issues with AP after an unplugged parking.

Speed limit signs don't show up as well as no AP/TACC.

Parking the car and letting it sit has seems to always resolve the issue for me.

These issues, aside from the headlights not turning off, could be caused by poor GPS reception? Which could also explain why the problems go away after a few minutes of sitting still.