Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Not Available (Autopilot too)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happens to me every time I get in and turn the car on facing the sun or another brighg object. I noticed every time I left the gym in the morning and the sun was rising I would get the message, I started parking backwards away from the sun and have not seen it since.

I started experiencing this on Friday after getting my car back from the service department. It worked on the way home, but later that night it would not. I called Tesla and they took logs for the local service center. We verified the sensors were clean and rebooted the car. The service center reviewed them and determined I needed to bring my car in for calibration on the following Wednesday. Meanwhile cruise control (and of course autopilot) would not work. We drove a 250 mile trip, so this was quite annoying. Long story short it started working again on Sunday evening.

It has to have been software related and not hardware right? Anyone else experienced a 2-3 day blackout on autonomous features like this?

I have had no problems with cruise control/auto steer in my 2018 Model X (except for discovering some EXCITING limitations to auto-steer). Today I Had a dentist appointment ~30 miles away. On the way there, I used both cruise and auto-steer with no problems. About 1/4 of the way back, I was using neither and, when a car braked hard and suddenly in front of me, I did the same. Once back on the highway, with both cruise & auto-steer icons showing, I could get neither to engage and I tried several times; there were NO alerts, warning messages, or errors reported. I pulled off the road and into a parking lot. I checked the screens in both "Controls" and "Settings",and everything was set as it should be. I put the X in park, unfastened my seat belt, and exited the vehicle. I walked far enough away to ensure that the vehicle would know I was away and turn OFF. I went back to the X, and drove away. Nothing had changed, and while both icons were showing, neither cruise nor auto-steer would engage, and fhere were no alerts/errors/warnings. Can anyone help with an answer to this problem?