Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, why not label everything a 'conspiracy'. I didn't.
The link already says it all: campaign.
The fact that according to MIT and WSJ more than $100 billion has been spent on autonomous vehicles
and that many companies already gave up, says enough.
Too many 'experts' are caught in the vortex of 'wishful AV engineering and lobbying', including many nerds here.
There is a lot of money involved.

Let's discontinue this shallow conversation!

Last edited:
Yeah, why not label everything a 'conspiracy'. I didn't.
The link already says it all: campaign.
The fact that according to MIT and WSJ more than $100 billion has been spent on autonomous vehicles
and that many companies already gave up, says enough.
Too many 'experts' are caught in the vortex of 'wishful AV engineering and lobbying', including many nerds here.
There is a lot of money involved.

Let's discontinue this shallow conversation!
A lot of it was related to free money policies of the last 10 years or so. On the plus there's been some progress. TSLA's progress might be limited to slowly ruling out all possible cheap ways of providing AV while putting the screw to their customers.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 110141.png

• Disagree
Reactions: willow_hiller
A lot of it was related to free money policies of the last 10 years or so. On the plus there's been some progress. TSLA's progress might be limited to slowly ruling out all possible cheap ways of providing AV while putting the screw to their customers.

View attachment 990935
LOL - quoting an actual TSLAQ. Go back and see how all of them kept saying Tesla will go bankrupt - every year from 2011 onwards. I think TSLAQ is the biggest scam associated with Tesla ;)

But more likely it's entry cost, range anxiety, battery life, cold weather performance, higher insurance premiums, higher repair costs, inadequate infrastructure, ....
Let me see - this is exactly what people having been saying since the days of GM-Volt.com and MyNissanLeaf from 2010. Surely things have changed since then ?

Climate Change deniers on the other hand ....

GM makes $20 billion profits annually and it figured by wasting a billion dollars annually on Cruise it will start to get $1 billion in profits in 2025 and increasing to 50 billion in 2030 so it thought it was a good investment.
Those goals were revenue, not profits. Though I agree 1b in 2025 is now out of reach.
I assume those shares are not very liquid and not publicly traded.
The company offers some kind of repurchase scheme. Maybe you can also sell to other employees, but not to third parties.

• Informative
Reactions: kabin
Interesting that Cruise claims that they did show the full video to the DMV multiple times on their October 3rd meeting. So they only cut out the latter portion when showing to journalists? Or perhaps they did so when submitting a copy to the DMV (as opposed to showing footage during the meeting).

Could also be a situation where they had something misdirecting and making it so the DMV personnel would not focus on that part (like for example focusing on the initial collision, so they keep playing back that part, such that while technically they had the full video on site, the latter part might not really have played much).

Last edited:
Vogt has resigned as CEO of Cruise. Tech Crunch has obtained his letter of resignation to employees:

I have resigned from my position as CEO of Cruise.

The last 10 years have been amazing, and I’m grateful to everyone who helpeds Cruise along the way. The startup I launched in my garage has given over 250,000 driverless rides across several cities, with each ride inspiring people with a small taste of the future.

Cruise is still just getting started, and I believe it has a great future ahead. You all are brilliant, driven and resilient. I’m deeply saddened I won’t be working next to you anymore. However, I know you’re executing against a very strong, multi-year technology roadmap and exciting product vision, and I’m thrilled to see what Cruise has in store in its next chapter!

Cruisers, you’ve got this! Regardless of what originally brought you to work on AVs, remember why this work matters. The status quo on our roads sucks, but together we’ve proven there is something far better around the corner.

"Jon McNeill, a member of GM’s board, has been appointed vice chairman of the Cruise board. McNeill, who joined the Cruise board recently, will now serving alongside Cruise Board Chair Mary Barra. A statement from a Cruise confirms Barra’s email." from the above stood out.

I had to look it up to confirm what I thought...
GM adds former Lyft and Tesla executive Jon McNeill as board member happened a year ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
It's funny in a way

Distractions kept saying FSD should be banned - without realizing it was Cruise that was inflating their stats and was unsafe, leading to the ouster of the founder. Similar to Uber, I guess.

Earlier years, similarly people would keep saying Tesla is a fraud and Elon will end up in Jail. Turned out to be true - but for VW and Nissan etc

It's funny in a way

Distractions kept saying FSD should be banned - without realizing it was Cruise that was inflating their stats and was unsafe, leading to the ouster of the founder. Similar to Uber, I guess.

Earlier years, similarly people would keep saying Tesla is a fraud and Elon will end up in Jail. Turned out to be true - but for VW and Nissan etc
Apples and oranges…

Cruise has gone driverless, but gone too fast and is getting their driverless permits withdrawn, so in the latter case there is at least some enforcement going on.

How are you clearing Tesla of wrong-doing when they’re still claiming L4 i 6-12 months without hardly any chance of getting there with existing cars? They can’t follow basic traffic rules even 99/100 times and are way too unreliable. Also there is no legal path to L4 consumer cars anywhere in the world at present. Even if Tesla launched a new vehicle and new software tomorrow it would take years to get the legislation in place. There is no legislation for L4 because the tech isn’t there yet for consumer cars.

Fraud or just a big silicon valley-style failure? Up to to the SEC and FTC and others to decide.

Last edited:
Internal employee email from Mo Elshenawy details a more scaled back plan for relaunching Cruise. This includes pausing production of Origin and only relaunching in 1 city and proving performance in 1 city first before scaling:

That means focusing on its current robotaxi platform the Chevy Bolt AV instead of the custom-built Origin shuttle that GM started producing earlier this year. GM recently temporarily paused production of Origin. This latest email notes that while development of the Origin program will continue, the vehicle will not be produced in 2024. The company also is reviewing its layoff plans and will provide an update in several weeks.
“As we work to rebuild trust with regulators and communities, we’ve made the decision to focus on the Bolt-based Cruise AVs in the near term with a longer term strategy around the Origin,” the company wrote in an emailed statement in response to the internal email. “Once we have taken steps to improve our safety culture and rebuild trust, our strategy is to re-launch in one city and prove our performance there, before expanding.”