Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWD are a new innovation. Just like with everything new, they will have growing pains. The discussion whether these doors were needed or not won't matter because Tesla is an extraordinary company. When it chooses to do something, it eliminates the "choice" that a person can make. I mean to say that they work so hard on the feature that people are cornered into liking the feature. So it won't matter what people think. I can take the analogy of "discovery" vs "invention". Some people are arguing that there was no need for these doors. This is like discovery, making your point based on something that already exists. But what Tesla is doing is invention. So it will create the FWD and the market for it simultaneously. That's why this company is extraordinary. IMHO.

Reactions: TSLAopt
To the OP -- I owned one of the early Honda Odyssey vans with automatic sliding doors, which were a big deal at the time. The things constantly jammed, got stuck midstream, required several trips to the dealer, and were generally annoying, at least at first. But after a year or two they became much less buggy, and they started to grow on me and I enjoyed their convenience.

Last night I took a cab that had manual sliding doors, which seemed incredibly clunky and annoying compared to the doors on my old Odyssey (sold long ago). In a few years, I expect Model X owners -- even those dealing with FWD teething pains -- will similarly wonder how they ever got by without them. Good luck to you (and especially to your husband ;) ).

I too have had issues, not with Falcon doors but sensors, freezing, and driver passenger doors. I have had the latches replaced but still with on old mechanism. I look at this way.

First of all at this stage we are all innovators (beta testors) for what is arguably the most advanced vehicle ever manufactured. All Model X owners need to expect to have problems or choose to wait until we get past 5000. There is a trade off getting a very early vehicle especially one so advanced. I have to say though Tesla and the dealership have been phenomenal. Tesla will eventually resolve the freezing, the sensors, door issues, sunshade, and back row seat. Probably a couple of more issues will crop up. Lets give them some time and in the meantime do our best to avoid issues until design fixes and repairs can be made. Still I can say the car has really made driving for me a whole new experience. Its faster, more advanced, more luxurious, and safer than any SUV I have ever driven.

Lets let them fix the problems and enjoy the ride.

Colin.club

Just came back from Costa Mesa meet and i felt very bad. I have successfully spotted problems on two Model Xs, one is the active spoiling not retracting when lock the car, one X has the front driver door latch failed completely and passenger door has a "clicking" sound when opening. Both going back to SC tomorrow. I felt very bad for them but at least they will be fixed soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z and TSLAopt
Just came back from Costa Mesa meet and i felt very bad. I have successfully spotted problems on two Model Xs, one is the active spoiling not retracting when lock the car, one X has the front driver door latch failed completely and passenger door has a "clicking" sound when opening. Both going back to SC tomorrow. I felt very bad for them but at least they will be fixed soon.

Did you get your X back? Were you able to catch the VIN's on the defective X

Tesla Motors had their first monthly owners "breakfast" this weekend. The topic was SUMMON.

Summon is one possible answer to the Falcon Wing Door smash and ding issue. Maybe Elon had the engineers add the "Big Sky" windshield so the driver can look up and see the parking garage beams.

Driver finds a clear spot for the passengers to exit.
Driver exits vehicle first, reexamines vertical clearance, then opens the Falcon Wing Doors with the key fob and monitors movement.
Passengers exit.
Falcon Wing Doors are closed using the red button on the back side of the door.
Driver optionally uses SUMMON to move the vehicle into a tight parking spot where the beams are located.

While on the subject, let's consider the chivalry of opening the door. Have fun and enjoy the video:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Spidy and TSLAopt
Leave the FWDs on the MX, make an electric minivan with minivan doors. This is a 7seater crossover SUV not a grocery getter. If the design doesn't fit a persons lifestyle they shouldn't try to force it. The MX is attractive to people bc of its technology, it obviously cannot fulfill the role of two entirely different automobile classes perfectly.

I would argue the X is not a "crossover SUV". It has very little 'Utility' with those FW doors (no roof racks) and non-folding second row seats. It seems to be geared more to the minivan people who need to get kids in and out of the car (the justification for the doors) to me than any utility functions.

I'd love to see them make a real crossover SUV with an emphasis on utility, with decent storage inside and a spot on the roof for a box. I'd dump my SUV and buy it today. Sadly the X is not that vehicle...

I would argue the X is not a "crossover SUV". It has very little 'Utility' with those FW doors (no roof racks) and non-folding second row seats. It seems to be geared more to the minivan people who need to get kids in and out of the car (the justification for the doors) to me than any utility functions.

I'd love to see them make a real crossover SUV with an emphasis on utility, with decent storage inside and a spot on the roof for a box. I'd dump my SUV and buy it today. Sadly the X is not that vehicle...

I think we should treat the X as a crossover platform rather than a mini van or SUV replacement. Just like the Microsoft Surface Pro, it's not a tablet and it's not a laptop. It's a crossover platform that does both world well, but can not replace completely.

Reactions: RIZE and TSLAopt

Crossover SUVs have the height but not as much of the utility as an SUV. This category typically has much less storage space in general as well as having sportier lines. A good example is the BMW X6, I owned an X6M and it didn't have much "utility" but way more sport. Nice thing about the MX is the lines follow the crossover styling but can seat 7 and have room for some cargo, something my X6M would never be capable of.

I wish someone would focus on the EV crossover market. It's the largest growing segment of the car market and not one company has offered something viable - I'm not counting the Volvo, BMW, Porsche and Outlander SUV plug-ins.

An EV with even a modest amount of 'Utility' in a crossover or SUV package with 4wd would sell really well. After 4 years with my Volt, I'm still waiting. Maybe the next gen X5/X3, Q5 or Cayenne will increase the plug-in range to at least 25-30 miles _ I could live with that as well but those won't be out for another 18-24 months - sigh.

...Lets let them fix the problems and enjoy the ride.
It reminds me of a visit to the Disneyland Resort when a new attraction is opened. For weeks, the ride breaks down and customers must wait or return. Some days you don't get to ride at all. Over time, the attraction has more "up time".

Some imagineers with Disney have commented that riding in Model X is the closest theme park ride vehicle experience they have ever had in a motorcar. When Autopilot is active or when demonstrating Ludicrous mode, I feel the same way. Let's hope that your 101 Model X ride vehicle will be 102 soon. www.disneyfanatic.com/disney-secret-codes-mean/

Just came back from Service Center in Costa Mesa, my X should be ready by today or tomorrow. The SC manager told me the reason why the door failed is because the sensor that controls the FWD distance to the ceiling is at the top of the glass on the roof. If you stand on a chair and look at the top of the roof, you will see two circular sensors. Those are the only sensors that control the height of the FWD telling the door to continue to stop. The OP has the door raised up near a angular pillar which does not trigger the sensor. The best way is to avoid any angular shaped pillar or beam that might have avoided the sensor position. Knowing where the sensors are located are very important in the Model X. So there might not going to be a software upgrade to fix, the next gen model x needs to add additional sensors to the joint to prevent this.

Not trying to look backwards, but I think one of the design elements where Tesla is lacking is sensor redundancy and higher numbers of sensors, for both the FWD and the AP suites. I'd sure like to know the cost considerations of tripling or quintupling the number of sensors.

Tesla Motors had their first monthly owners "breakfast" this weekend. The topic was SUMMON.

Summon is one possible answer to the Falcon Wing Door smash and ding issue. Maybe Elon had the engineers add the "Big Sky" windshield so the driver can look up and see the parking garage beams.

Driver finds a clear spot for the passengers to exit.
Driver exits vehicle first, reexamines vertical clearance, then opens the Falcon Wing Doors with the key fob and monitors movement.
Passengers exit.
Falcon Wing Doors are closed using the red button on the back side of the door.
Driver optionally uses SUMMON to move the vehicle into a tight parking spot where the beams are located.

While on the subject, let's consider the chivalry of opening the door. Have fun and enjoy the video:

This is a joke post, right? Because if people have to do all that just to safely use the doors, then it's a massive failure on the part of Tesla.

I hate being a Nervous Nellie, but as I impatiently await my X, I lose the enchantment every time I see people post close ups of the seams. I know the roof isn't usually visible, but what is with that fit-and-finish? Looks like someone used a jigsaw to cut those door lines along the roof. :(
While it's certainly not perfect up there, part of the illusion is from dust. We live on a gravel road and the dust has made a pattern in that photo. Next time I wash the car I'll take another photo for comparison.

Reactions: EcoHeliGuy
This is a joke post, right? Because if people have to do all that just to safely use the doors, then it's a massive failure on the part of Tesla.
It is absolutely NOT a joke. Visit page one to view the photos: Crunch! Falcon Wing Doors fail to sense obstacle

Photo 3 shows proof that the middle of the vehicle where the sensor is located has plenty of vertical clearance. The Falcon Wing Door is positioned over the low hanging beam.

Since Tesla Motors has only one sensor on the center of the roof, there is a need in parking garages with variable ceiling and beam height to carefully position the vehicle where there is adequate space to open the Falcon Wing Doors.

Here's one more reason for the driver to exit the vehicle and check clearance. Even if the sensor was to correctly stop the door from hitting an object, the door pillar switch can override the sensor. If the passengers lift and hold the switch, the door will keep moving.

Since I have driven to the mall parking structure by myself without passengers, I haven't had to open the Falcon Wing Doors.

Don't forget the clearance when opening the rear hatch. It can strike objects and you can end up with scratches on the painted spoiler.

Last edited: